Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineadeptMind
Aestetiker paaFlugt

Loc: Santa Ana, Costa Rica
A travel through a sad mind
    #4100185 - 04/26/05 08:58 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

So...

Here's the story. I'm currently working on this book and as I find many interesting approaches and twisted comments at this site, I would love to get some comments/ideas on the main story.

It's kinda an unusual love story and I will just shorty draw up the story line.

The main character is a young man, living in Copenhagen (I'm Danish and the book is written in Danish!), enjoying the light life of being a youngster in a modern, rich society. Chilling with his highly beloved girlfriend, working in video rental store, spending the weekends at inn night clubs.
One day he gets very sick and the story breaks.

When we return to follow the character he meets this new friend. This new friend is living the ideal, carefree life, living on the energy he extracts from the structures of society - a normal life, just accepting the way the world works and making the best of it. Not worrying about the deeper questions in life, turning the blind eye to the flaws of mankind and society he is exposed to.

During his friendship with this newly met friend (which quickly turns into a very intense friendship), the main character is pulling himself further and further away from this way of life. Sinking deeper and deeper into reflection, slowly committing existential suicide, spending more and more time in his mind, contemplating existence and everyday life and alienating himself more and more from society - and his girlfriend, which is drawn more and more towards this new friend.

This conflict is the base of the first part of the book and is written in a (I must admit) slightly didactic style of preaching the flaws of society and modern life, seen through the eyes of an observing existentialist.

Then after some time the reader - and the main character - slowly realizes that this new friend is actually his own schizophrenic counter part, which evolves and grows in a duality - the more he sinks into reflection the more his counterpart takes over all the things that he actually cares about in life and visa versa. So the more he searches to find truths, the more he realizes what he actually cares about in life - his girlfriend, etc. - and where the real values of life lie. But at the same time, he alienates himself through this excessive reflection from these things he value and loses them to his counterpart who by ignoring and avoiding deeper reflection, is able to live life, balancing on the preset structures of modern society.

This evil circle continues and he keeps spiraling downwards into his own mind. The whole story through Time has a very significant role and occupies the mind of the main character constantly, the flow of time and the theoretical ideas of time loops and time travels. And here's a twist to the story - actually the whole ending - which is strongly connected to Danish and will therefore not make much sense in English. I will, however, try to explain the idea: in the Danish language there's a word describing a very sad, very reflective mind. This word, directly translated means "heavy mind" (tungsind). The idea is that the main character realizes his own doom and gets the idea of using the "heaviness" of his mind as the gravity he needs to create a wormhole inside his mind and through traveling the vast distances of the mind trough this internal mind-wormhole, travel in time and return to the time, before he started his route downstream and instead follow his schizophrenic counter-identity (I this really cool part, explain how it would actually be possible to travel through time via the mind I extracted from this book on time by the Russian physicist Dr. Igor Novikov.). It is definitely not meant as a sci-fi time travel book and this aspect is only meant to illustrate the main character's state of mind and his thoughts. Whether or not he actually manages to travel through his mind and succeed in reflecting himself out of reflection is left undecided and the book ends on an open chord.

The point of the book is rather sad, but is that with knowledge you loose innocence and with the loss of innocence a special kind of happiness, the happiness of true love in this story, is irretrievably lost as well. It is highly inspired by the Danish philosopher Soeren Kierkegaard and his views on mankind, souls and society, which I greatly value and appreciate.

It is very difficult for me to explain the plot of the book this shortly - and in English - but I hope that the idea comes across and I would love some comments/ideas/suggestions.

--------------------
'Og jeg vil ikke have en Student,
Som ligger og laeser om Natten,
Jeg vil have en Officier,
Som gaaer med Fjaer udi Natten'

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: A travel through a sad mind [Re: adeptMind]
    #4100665 - 04/26/05 11:20 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Wow. I don't really have any comments except tell me when the book is done! It sounds like a very, very interesting read. Any chance you will have an english version?

OfflineadeptMind
Aestetiker paaFlugt

Loc: Santa Ana, Costa Rica
Re: A travel through a sad mind [Re: DNKYD]
    #4100722 - 04/26/05 11:37 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Thank you very much. I must admit that I find only right for my to write in Danish. And since a big part of the ending part is tightly related to the playing with the Danish wordings, I simply do not know if there will ever be an English version.

I am happy that you liked the overall story line, though.

--------------------
'Og jeg vil ikke have en Student,
Som ligger og laeser om Natten,
Jeg vil have en Officier,
Som gaaer med Fjaer udi Natten'

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media