Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Laminar Flow Hood, Mycobags

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepsick_psimon
Stranger
Asking advice for fruiting containers, etc
    #4099760 - 04/26/05 06:54 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

A friend is trying to increase yield. He uses a dung/Jiffy mix for casing which has proven extremely effective, especially when using a cloned specimens. I know this is a beat-down topic, and I hope that this will encorage some response. We're trying to find a good container and fruiting chamber for increased production.
The tech he utilizes is Millet (have yah'll ever found that brand of BS that is all millet, no Bird Kote at the wally world? Very easy to work with)then the dung/Jiffy mix casing/substrate (With the dung mixed in, it effectively bacomes a subsrtate as well), and then whatever little bowls he can find to fruit from.

Note: the millet has worked effectively for him with the smallest PC that can be found. A 10 psi? Mirro, that will only hold three pint jars.

Now for the advice part... He basically wants to ecomnimize his grow area, and make the entire project more organized, and at the same time find a solution to increase productivity.
Can anyone out there suggest a readily available oven bag and tech that would allow him to increase the amount of substrate by ridding himself of the inadaquate-sized PC. He also prefers to sterilize the dung/Jiffy mixture by PCing, but is looking to use oven bags, and the oven. His idea is to fill the bags, wrap in foil and cook at say 300 degrees for an hour and a half. The foil beign necassary for the moisture to stay in the BS.
Also, does anyone have a good fruiting container that they like that's cheap, neat, and reusable.
His methods are not lab, but kitchen, and remarkably succesful. We've looked at the materials available in the online Myco-stores, and drooled over the items, but, alas are only hope is wally world, home depot, and other locally available stores.
So, anyway, I'm sorry if this post is beating a dead horse in any way. I've been out of the online Myco-community for a long time, and my etiquite might ne a little rusty. If you use your oven for sterilization, please give some suggestions, and if I've extended the bounds of etiquite (adn my post is deleted), please start a/some new threads telling us how you do it.
Last question (I promise). He really wants to experiement with outdoor beds (seeing as how this year might be a wet one, and he can pick the best sites i.e. good run-off ground) so any good experiences casing in-ground would be so very grateful.
Together we have a small wealth of experience, and he has proven tech that aren't available online with the searches I made for him. I hope that I find I'll be able to share some of our knowledge here.
Thanx
PEACE!!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Asking advice for fruiting containers, etc [Re: psick_psimon]
    #4100460 - 04/26/05 10:24 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Ovens can't be used for sterilizing grain, sorry on that one.

You can use your oven for the dung mix, renolds makes a large foil oven bag that is handy although straigth aluminum foil or a roasting pan works fine too.

container, well that's going to be hard without knowing your terrerium set up. Or you could just use doubletubs and skip the terrerium altogether.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinepsick_psimon
Stranger
Re: Asking advice for fruiting containers, etc [Re: mycofile]
    #4100602 - 04/26/05 11:05 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Right, we thought about double tubs. His terreruim super cheap as well, just a rubbermade turned upside down. He sprays it down before putting in the casings, then just a mist every three or four days, and it keeps high humudity. I wish I had pics handy to show yah'll how his really simple set-up has been working for him. Maybe, i'll get some from him in the next week or so.
But, I guess he's going to have to bite the bullet and buy a bigger PC or let his little one work overtime. Does anyone know of any products (bags) that could help him out in the PC? I guess doing a pint and a half at a time isn't that bad, he just would like to be able to create a bulk-sized amount of colonized BS to make larger casings. But, then since the casing is also substrate, he probably doesn't need a whole heck of a lot of colonized grain to get a quick colonization of the casing???
Thanks for the suggestion of foil for the casing. That's pretty much one of the ideas we were thinking of.
Anyway, I'll get out of here, and tell him to start to work and leave me to see the results. We just had a few different mods on his tech in mind and were trying to organize them all out.
If anyone has a better idea for PCing a larger amount of BS with any commercially available bags, please let us know who makes them and where you find them(he's had great experience with PCing millet @ 10 psi- - Disclaimer 15lbs is recomended!!!).
As far as the fruiting containers... well, I suppose if he goes looking he'll find something suitable....
Thanks for replying, sorry if it seems like a "You should've figured..." post, just trying help a friend sort something out in his head.
Anyway,
PEACE!

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Asking advice for fruiting containers, etc [Re: psick_psimon]
    #4101631 - 04/27/05 04:29 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

you get autoclavable spawn bags from your favorite vendor. I always liked sporeworks. You will probably want a flow hood or a damn effective glove box though as you typically have to seal the bags AFTER pcing. I say typically because they do make presealable spawn bags but they are pricey. I think you have to go straight to the horses mouth for those mycobag.com (they just changed their name, but that will lead you to them anyway).

It does seem like a you should've figured post, but those are fine. It does seem more like a cult post though rather than advanced. That's ok too, just put these things there in the future.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Laminar Flow Hood, Mycobags

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology