Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Loc: Flag
Ammo "energy drink" withdrawn [NZ]
    #4096950 - 04/25/05 10:09 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Ammo "energy drink" withdrawn
April 25, 2005

A controversial fizzy drink containing 'party pill' ingredients has been voluntarily withdrawn from sale at dairies by its manufacturers.

Herbal drink Ammo was withdrawn following a complaint from the Social Tonics Association of New Zealand (STANZ) on Friday that the drink contained benzylpiperazine (BZP), which was not a permitted food ingredient.

Associate Health Minister Jim Anderton, who is pushing for the pills to be classified as "Class D" drugs, described the drink as "irresponsible".

"People are pushing the envelope to way out further than many New Zealanders would be comfortable with," he said.

He planned to ask the expert advisory committee on drugs to look at the drink.

STANZ said while the drink had been withdrawn the case underlined the need for "sensible" regulation of the industry.

"Clearly some legal controls are required," STANZ chairman Matt Bowden said in a statement.

"BZP-based products have been proven safe by New Zealand's Expert Advisory Committee on Drugs (EACD), but they are clearly not suitable for children."

Mr Bowden said while these products were safe when used as directed by adults, they needed to be behind shop counters and away from children.

Parliament's health Select Committee is currently looking at including these products in a new fourth schedule of the Misuse of Drugs Act and requiring an 18 age limit and standards around manufacture, labelling and marketing.

Mr Bowden said he was currently writing to all retailers reminding them of their responsibilities until a sensible regulatory regime was introduced.

*Related story New Zealand takes aim at Ammo

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: Ammo "energy drink" withdrawn [NZ] [Re: veggie]
    #4098385 - 04/26/05 12:08 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

NRG drink with bzp in it... hrmm

This is the only time I really feel alive.

a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
Re: Ammo "energy drink" withdrawn [NZ] [Re: baraka]
    #4105999 - 04/28/05 08:55 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, you wouldn't beleive how popular BZP 'party pills' are here in New Zealand...its quite disturbing really. They're legal, and at the moment there's at least 10 major brands of BZP / TMFPP pills avaliable from a lot of different stores. The real shitty part of it is, that we have pretty expensive illegal drugs here, for example ecstacy about $70 (US $40-50), meth (known as 'P' here) at $100 (US $70-80) per 1/10th of a gram...not to mention everything else but those are the two drugs that BZP pills are a substitute for and so they get away with charging $30-40 NZ per dose what a fuckin ripoff. And each new brand to come out is stronger than the last ones, and a lot of people will take 2 or 3 times the reccomended dose.

I don't use BZP myself but man sooo many people do, personally if I want to stay up all night I find that plenty of rest and good food beforehand, plus maybe a coffee, and perhaps a shroom or two, works just the ticket...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service