Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelittleharoldeh
Zoom Zoom Zoom
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Incubation Question???
    #4096654 - 04/25/05 07:12 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

K, I've read like so many threads already and I can't find out some stuff. I just want to know where I can stgore the jars. I Know they should be in a 22-27 degree enviroment but where to put the jars, can I put them in the original jar box while they do there thing.
K also theres a few things I;m hazy abotu after reading all these guides. one is, why do I have to punture the holes in the lib before I pressure cook them, cause they say to put tin foil over the top so water doesn't get in, so then why not just do the holes after done sterializer right before putting th espores in.
ONe more thing, k when storeing the jars, after the holes are poked, spores are in, then what, put aluminum foil over the top of jar then the lid or lid the foil to cover the hols, or lid-tape over holes/band aid-foil.
I know it seems like I;m asking much but beleive me, I've been reading for the last 2 hrs, just like I said, these things are Hazy.

Nat

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelittleharoldeh
Zoom Zoom Zoom
 User Gallery

Re: Incubation Question??? [Re: littleharoldeh]
    #4096661 - 04/25/05 07:14 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

BY the way, the tek I;m using is brf, verm.., water, making cakes, then into a rubmaid container with perlite, Thats what alot of the beginner guides said to do. I['d like to try casing but will give this a try

Nat

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
    #4096755 - 04/25/05 07:28 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Use the TiT method found here. Incubate in a dark place between 84-86 degrees Fahrenheit and wait until they are fully colonized.

You don't need perlite during the incubation period, just a dark container or place to store the jars using the TiT (tub-in-tub). The reason for drilling the holes prior to sterilization is so you don't have to disturb the sterility drilling holes afterward.

Lose the foil when you're done pressure cooking them, as the vermiculite will protect the colonization substrate.

Pretty simple huh.

Don't waste time with fruiting cakes either. You'll have plenty of time during the incubation period to read up on casings. Read the forum thoroughly using the search feature and you'll be fine.

Edited by augustin7 (04/25/05 07:38 PM)

Offlinelittleharoldeh
Zoom Zoom Zoom
 User Gallery

Re: Incubation Question??? [Re: Wronguy]
    #4096796 - 04/25/05 07:35 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

THanks for the response. I really do appreciate it, but I don't have the coin to go an buy more stuff and I really wanna get this going this week. Any other suggestions. WHats wrong with them in there box in the right heat.

REally, I should skip fruiting cakes. Do you get better yeilds in casing.
Anyone know a simple link to a good casing tek. RIght now I have a 24"x16"x15" GSC container, same as a rubermaid. I dont' need poo I hope.
THanks to those who answer my questiond, I'm sure some of you got used to my dumb questions in the past few days but I took your advice and read, jsut need to smothen out the bumbs.

Nathan

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
    #4096837 - 04/25/05 07:43 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

No problem on the response, but you've got to do some searching for some of your answers.

Yes, casings produce a higher yield than cakes. Here is a great casing tek that I use.

If you don't have the coin to start this hobby, you should probably wait. This is not the hobby to skimp on. You could buy everything you need in phases I guess, since you'll be sitting on those jars for at least 2-3 weeks.

InvisibleFizikz
Not a real person
 User Gallery

#4096838 - 04/25/05 07:43 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Ok, you need to poke the holes before you pressure cook the jars because they might explode inside of the pressure cooker if the jars cant let out some gases that will build up inside of them, plus the fact that you want the whole jar and everything inside of it to be sterile before you inoculate them. Mix up your substrate of verm/brown rice flour, poke your holes in the lid, sprinkle your substrate in the jars so it's loose and not packed down (this is for quicker colinization), leave about 1/2 inch in the jars, fill the rest 1/2 inch of the jar with dry vermiculite, no air born contams can get to your substrate this way . Screw your lids on and put tin foil on top so no water can get into your jars, put some washclothes in the pressure cooker and put your jars ontop of them. PC it for 25 min.

Edited by Fizikz (04/25/05 07:47 PM)

Offlinelittleharoldeh
Zoom Zoom Zoom
 User Gallery

Re: Incubation Question??? [Re: Fizikz]
    #4096898 - 04/25/05 07:54 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

HEy guys, thanks again. When I said perlite, I ment it was for my fruiting chamber. What I dont' understand Augustin is you said I could buy things in phases since I would be sitting on the jars for 2 to 3 weeks. But you said I need the TiT for my incubation process. SO I'm a little confised here. I really thought by all these things I could have put this jars in a box under my bed or something.

Nat

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
    #4096934 - 04/25/05 08:05 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The TiT setup will cost you $25.00 at your local Wal-Mart. It's not a huge expense. You can place the jars under your bed, closet, or other dark place, but you run the risk of a slow colonization period.

Placing the incubated jars in optimal conditions will yield optimal results.

It's your choice though.

InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tardy to the Party
Re: Incubation Question??? [Re: Fizikz]
    #4096964 - 04/25/05 08:13 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Fizikz said:
Ok, you need to poke the holes before you pressure cook the jars because they might explode inside of the pressure cooker if the jars cant let out some gases that will build up inside of them, plus the fact that you want the whole jar and everything inside of it to be sterile before you inoculate them. Mix up your substrate of verm/brown rice flour, poke your holes in the lid, sprinkle your substrate in the jars so it's loose and not packed down (this is for quicker colinization), leave about 1/2 inch in the jars, fill the rest 1/2 inch of the jar with dry vermiculite, no air born contams can get to your substrate this way . Screw your lids on and put tin foil on top so no water can get into your jars, put some washclothes in the pressure cooker and put your jars ontop of them. PC it for 25 min.

Explode? Hmmm, I always tape my holes before I pc them, with the aluminum foil over that, and I've never had a jar explode. I thought the point of pressure cooking is the pressure prevents water from boiling inside your substrate beyond normal boiling temperatures, but allowing steam to escape when the desired pressure is reached. Pressurized water can reach over 600 degrees without boiling.

--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

Offlinebc30629
Ethnobotaster
Re: Incubation Question??? [Re: Crasher]
    #4097073 - 04/25/05 08:38 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

What are your temps at home? you may not need a TiT for incubation if your in the right climate.

Offlinelittleharoldeh
Zoom Zoom Zoom
 User Gallery

Re: Incubation Question??? [Re: bc30629]
    #4097956 - 04/26/05 04:11 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Well, thats the thing, I can control my temps of my home. I have a portable heat that I could put say in the closet where I could to my incubation and adjust the heat leavel so it keeps a good 26-27 degree's. I can't beleive how tricky shrooms are. ALl those yrs I bought them and ate I never knew that someone was going through the troble of makin them, unless it was all mother nature.

Nathan

OfflineCray
I'm not fat i'mbig bones
 User Gallery

#4097958 - 04/26/05 04:21 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Don't make it harder for yourself, use what 3/4 of the people in shroomery use, a TiT. You don't want to heat up your house to 84 degree's F. That'd be really warm and really expensive, heat isn't cheap.

--------------------
My Shroomery Gallery

Don't get ripped off ONLY BUY FROM SHROOMERY SPONSORS

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: Incubation Question??? [Re: Cray]
    #4097992 - 04/26/05 05:21 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

you could jus put them in a plastic tote with a heating pad or two underneath it on a medium or low setting. tryt hat out a heating pad and a tote is prolly the cheapest incubator you can buy

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubation Question??? [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4099525 - 04/26/05 03:28 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

84-86 degrees is the target temp to shoot for in the PMP according to most of the posts, but the PF-TEK for simple minds says

Quote:

According to Stamets the best incubation temperature for P. cubensis would be 86?F, but since the jars themselves are a few degrees warmer than the surroundings (mycelium emits heat when growing) 80?F is a good and safe incubator temperature)

Which one is best?

OfflineOl_Mr_Owl
Emirie's #1 Fan

Loc: Left of US
Re: Incubation Question??? [Re: CLUTCH]
    #4099579 - 04/26/05 03:49 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Here are some recent data. Jars were set up the same way.

Left at room temperature (average ~73 degrees): first activity at 5 days, full colonization at 21 days.
Put in TIT incubator at ambient temperature of 80 degrees: first activity at 3 days, full colonization at 16 days.

So both worked fine... just a matter of time.

Good luck.

Offlinejtk
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Incubation Question??? [Re: Ol_Mr_Owl]
    #4099654 - 04/26/05 04:13 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

you could just put a little space heater in a closed closet, and keep the temp at around 82-84.  That's what i would do.  Just keep a thermometer in there to make sure the temp stays right.  Make sure the jars stay in a dark place and it would work fine.

I saw space heaters at Wal-Mart the other day on sale for $7. :smile:

--------------------
Don't let your brain tell your mind it can't feel

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Incubation Question??? [Re: jtk]
    #4099803 - 04/26/05 05:08 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

jtk said:
you could just put a little space heater in a closed closet, and keep the temp at around 82-84.  That's what i would do.  Just keep a thermometer in there to make sure the temp stays right.  Make sure the jars stay in a dark place and it would work fine.

I saw space heaters at Wal-Mart the other day on sale for $7. :smile:

I can just here it now "I'm sorry to tell you this son, but your house burned down while you were at work".

I personally would never take a chance leaving a space heater unsupervised in a closet. You're asking for trouble.

InvisibleFizikz
Not a real person
 User Gallery

#4100740 - 04/26/05 09:43 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

>>Explode? Hmmm, I always tape my holes before I pc them, with the aluminum foil over that, and I've never had a jar explode. I thought the point of pressure cooking is the pressure prevents water from boiling inside your substrate beyond normal boiling temperatures, but allowing steam to escape when the desired pressure is reached. Pressurized water can reach over 600 degrees without boiling.<< Fire wolf

Ok steam can get through tape, some gases do need to escape, I have had jar explode when to much pressure builds up. Here's an experiment for you, take a jar fill it with water, now screw the lid on tight, make sure their are no holes. Now PC it for 25 min, I'll be damned if it doesnt explode in 15 min.

Edited by Fizikz (04/26/05 09:45 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate