Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFizikz
Not a real person
 User Gallery

Has anyone tried using wood shavings?
    #4092781 - 04/24/05 07:16 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Has anyone ever tried using wood shavings, like the real fine shavings that you buy at gardening stores as mulch. I am thinking of using a straw/dung substrate and casing it with verm/wood shavings. it seems' like it would work. I might give it a try.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Has anyone tried using wood shavings? [Re: Fizikz]
    #4092789 - 04/24/05 07:18 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Wood shavings work great for supplementing substrates (dung/compost) but I haven't tried it in a casing mix. I think as long as it's not cedar, it's worth a shot.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineJazzMatazz
addict

Loc: Vienna, Austria
Re: Has anyone tried using wood shavings? [Re: Holydiver]
    #4093794 - 04/24/05 11:44 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Im not sure on this completely, but I am abstracting from my knowledge a bit:
Azurescens and Psilocybe Cyanescens grow on woodcuttings (as a sub not casing) and colonise it completely. Cubensis dont. So, if you but them in the casing layer you might get an uneven pinset.
I conclube this to be cause the carbo-hydrates in wood are more complex than in grains.(This may be wrong but sounds logical) - So it might be worth a shot if they are really ground up into smal pieces, but other than that i havent seen anyone do this.(But this will not change carbohydrate structure!) - And yoou know how inventive people are around here!

addition: I gogle searched it, and only found one link to usig wood shredds in cubensis substrate:
TOTSE
Here the grower uses mulch as an additive compound. If this works, then fine grade wood should work as a casing. But: As its the only source this might be a bad "copy-paste" from a "how to grow woodlovers". Anno ,Shirley or whoever should give you a good feedback on this.

--------------------
Perception is limited to consciousness.Expand it and unfold other realities.

Edited by JazzMatazz (04/24/05 11:52 PM)

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Has anyone tried using wood shavings? [Re: JazzMatazz]
    #4093887 - 04/25/05 12:09 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

just dont use anything with bark, depending where you are at nurseries are selling fir chips that are stripped of bark and tumbled so that there are now sharp edges, they call it playground mulch so the lil hellians dont get splinters. This shit is awesome for wood lovers and is cheap compared to ging to a bbq store.
Anyways sorry for the vicadin induced rant, i think the wood chips in the casing would add some nutes it might be worth making a casing with wood and without and using it on one tray on each side. That way you can tell which produces better

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

InvisibleFizikz
Not a real person
 User Gallery

Re: Has anyone tried using wood shavings? [Re: tahoe]
    #4097054 - 04/25/05 08:36 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yea, I think I'll do that.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate