Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Relating to Children
    #4093237 - 04/24/05 09:20 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Where I work, at a public school, I am responsible for maintaining a network of some 70 computers. I also provide instuctional support to the faculty and students. Often children (7th and 8th graders) approach me and profess an interest in computers or hacking. I usually indulge their interest by discussing these things enthusiastically with them and point them to reliable sources of information on these subjects. I tend to deal with children by treating them as responsible humans. I have found that with my own children treating them as responsible people, instead of "children" has produced 2 responsible children and one responsible adult so far. So, I will discuss things with them on equal ground...not as an all knowing adult. A few teachers at this school have indicated their disaproval of this method. They feel that an adult should order the children around in a condescending, authoritarian manner, and that what they say is unimportant. I do maintain a sense of authority with my bearing, but I also try to relate to the child as if they were an adult. I have very few discipline problems with the children, and several known "problem children" get along with me just fine. What do you guys think about this. How should an adult relate to children?

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: Relating to Children [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4093311 - 04/24/05 09:40 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup: Give them as much authority over a situation as they can handle. I've a little sister that I sometimes have to watch, I make the rules simple;

1) Don't make a mess.
2) Don't whine.
3) Do whatever the hell you want.

It works fairly well provided all things are met, and she exercises a little common sense.

As long as a child is aware of things that could be hazardous, and knows about the consequences regarding it... it isn't that big a deal. (stove, guns, knives, drugs, etc...)

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4093337 - 04/24/05 09:47 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Duh, Ordering anyone around in a consending and athoritarian  manner is bound to fail. You made that one too easy. Can you ask a harder one. :grin:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4093340 - 04/24/05 09:49 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Amen to that brother. Reminds of me a time I was volunteering in my daughters classroom when she was trying out the public school here last year.

Each of the moms were running activity stations the kids were rotating around in groups. Mine was to read a story from a giant book up on an easel with a big pointing stick. The kids were suppose to sit still and listen to me read the story, were my instructions. Thbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

As long as the stayed in our area, I let them move around (wiggle and fidget) and got glares of disapproval from the other moms and teacher. Thbbbbbbb In about 20 seconds, I realized not all of them were paying attention to me reading. I thought, "Of course not because I am basically talking AT them through a story they can't relate to"

So, Every 5 or so sentences, I started asking them questions to help them to relate and to pull them in to the story. I made their opinions and stories relative to the story matter. In a snap, they were all glued and paying attention to me then because they new I was paying attention to them and was interested in them as well.

The glares of disapproval grew stronger at me from the other moms and teacher. Thbbbbbbbbbbbbbb. Then, the kids wanted to practice taking turns reading instead of me so I let them. ( I don't need the practice, they do) They were all loving life and REALLY into the story now. We were all having an interactive ball.

Now, the looks could've killed. But guess what?

When it came time to quiet down and sit still before the kids could move to the next station, MY groups were ALWAYS the first ready, and the only ready on time. WHY? I had earned their respect in that ten minutes by giving them some use of their power and when I asked them to sit quiet and still so they could go to the next station, they easily listened to me with respect.

WELL, of course the other moms and teacher noticed my groups were always quiet and still at shift times when theirs were absolutely out of their control. Hahahaha, boy the feathers were ruffled as the glares turned into faces of perplexed confusion because they had nothin on me. Hahahahahaha

I never let my group get out of control, I just shifted the power giving the kids control of themselves and we as a group were always in control of ourselves and it was beautiful.

Yes, Hue, it's not cool to pull that authoritarian control freak BS on kids and it's counter productive to.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Relating to Children [Re: Icelander]
    #4093363 - 04/24/05 09:59 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

It seems like a no brainer to me as well, but some of the teachers (just a few) really seem to be offended by this...so I thought I would ask. Of course I am slanting it in my favor in reporting this. My persoanl opinion IS reflected.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #4093371 - 04/24/05 10:01 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I tend to deal with children by treating them as responsible humans. :thumbup:

Too bad this idea is lost on many parents and other adults.

I find it appalling that some parents prefer to inflict violence (hit) children to get them to behave rather than talk to them. A child raised in love, without violence, will correct his behavior when he realizes he's disappointed the parent he loves; there's no need for violence.

If you think hitting a defenseless child to correct a behavior problem is the way to go, then you should be willing to take a few lashings by whip when you're caught speeding.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Edited by Diploid (04/24/05 10:09 PM)

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Relating to Children [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4093380 - 04/24/05 10:03 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Looks like you can relate to the Tao:

"If you want to be a great leader,
you must learn to follow the Tao.
Stop trying to control.
Let go of fixed plans and concepts,
and the world will govern itself."

I try to live by this as much as I am able.

--------------------

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: Relating to Children [Re: Icelander]
    #4093385 - 04/24/05 10:04 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Duh, Ordering anyone around in a consending and athoritarian  manner is bound to fail. You made that one too easy. Can you ask a harder one. :grin:

If its a no brainer then you are saying many to most parents and teachers have no brains.

I prefer to think of it as uncommon common sense. :wink:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4093392 - 04/24/05 10:06 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Good one.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4093410 - 04/24/05 10:10 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
Quote:

Icelander said:

If its a no brainer then you are saying many to most parents and teachers have no brains.  :wink:

Yeah, That's pretty much how it seems. Not all but most. Definitely!

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinenunciate
Cold and Indifferent
Male User Gallery

Loc: Edge of the World
    #4093416 - 04/24/05 10:12 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Fight the power!  Resist and multiply!  :handth:

--------------------
I am the devil and I am just like you

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4093708 - 04/24/05 11:21 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
Quote:

Icelander said:

If its a no brainer then you are saying many to most parents and teachers have no brains.

I prefer to think of it as uncommon common sense. :wink:

You're truly becoming outsane :smile:

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
-Substance over Style.

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Re: Relating to Children [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4093834 - 04/24/05 11:56 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Adults should relate to children as any older person should, one with more experience can teach children many things. You can fill their heads with crap, like some parents do. Or you can filld there heads with more crap like everyone does.

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #4094376 - 04/25/05 07:55 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Hue you basically pinned the tail on my opinions of how to raise a child! Awesome! :smile:

My parents, when I was a baby, decided they wouldn't use that "baby voice" to talk to me that most parents used with their babies. Instead they spoke to me, before I could speak, as if they were speaking to an adult. As a result I could string simple sentences together well before most children learn to do so (my mom used to talk about how I would surprise people by asking "how are you today?" when they would bend down and coo-coo into my stroller/crib).

The key, I think, was that by talking as normal people do I was able to pick it up quicker and almost skip over the whole "baby-speech" phase entirely. This, I hope, is much the same as what you are doing with your children! By treating them as responsible humans, you are giving them a strong indication as to what a responsible human is. Thus they can pick up those skills far quicker than if you treated them as a child.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Relating to Children [Re: trendal]
    #4095919 - 04/25/05 04:10 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I sometimes think it's a good idea to give them a little more than I think they can handle and then keep an eye on them to make sure they don't fuck up too badly. That way they won't be limited by my expectations but they will still be safe. They'll probably learn more that way too.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #4095935 - 04/25/05 04:16 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Hue you basically pinned the tail on my opinions

your opinions = donkey's hind end? (sorry, but you set yourself up there!)  :grin:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineSmallworlds
Trippin' fool -Merry Prankster

Re: Relating to Children [Re: Swami]
    #4095949 - 04/25/05 04:19 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Hue you basically pinned the tail on my opinions

your opinions = donkey's hind end? (sorry, but you set yourself up there!)  :grin:

:lol:

--------------------
Through the excercise of patience, one may learn humility..

Smoke plenty of green, and eat fungus!!!!
:peace::heart::slomo::gd_icon::gd_icon::gd_icon::slomo:

Trip Report

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4095971 - 04/25/05 04:22 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I have a friend who is a physics teacher at a University. He decided to not dumb down his speach for his children. Needless to say his vocabulary is technical...almost needlessly so. When his kid was 4 he sounded like a professor. It was cool...but very weird. I was never concious of using baby-talk...I guess we just talked normal to them. They all talked and read a little early.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Relating to Children [Re: Diploid]
    #4096019 - 04/25/05 04:32 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Don't get me wrong...spanking (not abuse) can have a place as a last resort punishment. As a young parent I relied on it a bit too much (that is what my parents did), and I hit the point where it did not work. My kids thought it was no biggie...so I had to get creative. I guess the last spanking I handed out was over 10 years ago. I am also demanding of them. If they wish to maintain their privileges (movies, computer, social life) they have to meet a high academic and behavioral standard. So, while I can be strict, I never say "Just because" I always have a rational explanation for my actions. I will also hear a rebuttal provided some respect is shown.

--------------------

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4096192 - 04/25/05 05:06 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

:handth: Sounds like you're a damn good parent to me.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale