Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Perpetuating silly notions?
    #4092863 - 04/24/05 09:44 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I was just thinking about how the US has yet to go metric, and instead still sticks with its stupid system of measurement... Wouldn't it be easier to have a standaridized approach for measuring something, and simplify the process overall in terms of commerce and exchange?

Their is absolutely no reason to have an alternate measuring system, as one clearly makes more sense then the other, in way of it's base 10 format, as it is more often expressed in mathamatics... (could argue you the other stance in terms of fractions, not the point, just taking a particular side in light of the example; also it's not a country thing just fits into the example)

Yet we still stick to our old system of "measuring" quantities, with little reason as to why... still stuck in our ways, still tied to the belief that ours is better then theirs and other countries should adapt around our notion of measurement. Yet, we are essentially alone in our way of "measuring" in regards to the rest of the world... It's a wonder why we justify our system being better over another that clearly is utilized far more often because it is more in line with common sense, and more similar in relations to other established systems.

Regardless of that, we still have our measuring system, and it ultimately just creates more confusion; as their is no standardization beyond conversion ratios, which forces us to learn alternate systems... which in turn creates more confusion; and is in general counter intuitive to progress, merely taking a step backwards to support our individuality (or is it the rest of the world? either way, the measuring system needs to be unified)... Is it because we are so different that we need to have a different form of measurement? Or do we believe that our system makes more sense in light of the actual applications and decisions made globally?

I left this general, and attempted to make the least amount of assertions as possible; yet presented a few important concepts that I'm not going to get into, but I think their is some underlying substance to this situation and how it is philosophically applicable. I'll leave it to you guys to find your own meaning in it, as I don't want to make, or enforce any clear conclusions as to what is the best way; rather I'm attempting to just present the idear of creating confusion by sticking to our old methods and not changing our old attitudes/methods/beliefs/(damn near everything else) as we outgrow them and they prove to cause more confusion, and conflict then they provide a benefit. 

It was my hope to  point out how isolation in certain respects is counter-intuitive to progress, and serves no other purpose then it's nature, and only acts to further segregate issues which tends to overcomplicate something that could be much simpler... as I believe; that everything is simple, and not complicated unless we wish to assign it a form of needless complication.

Feel free to share what you think is good about it, or bad; or to blatantly criticise it... let it all hang out.  :wink:

Edit:
Cleaned it up a bit.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Edited by Psychoactive1984 (04/25/05 12:19 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: Perpetuating silly notions? [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4092996 - 04/24/05 10:18 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Their is absolutely no reason to have an alternate measuring system

Agreed. Let's get rid of the metric system!  :tongue:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: Perpetuating silly notions? [Re: Diploid]
    #4093258 - 04/24/05 11:25 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

:shrug: As long as one of them prevails and it's simpler... although that wasn't the intention of the message :tongue:.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology