Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Peat, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineZigma
Stranger
question about a vermiculite substitute
    #4092434 - 04/24/05 07:39 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

hay all, its great to be back. i waz a member years ago,before PF went down. and i must say the site has changed alot. its got a whole new look and lots more info and links. so props you shroomery

ok so i cultivated for bout 4 years then i ate to many and quit enjoying the trip after that. so i stoped. and now ima start up a few more cuz all my friends want to trip and thay buy all them nasty commercial shrooms on the marke. i want them to experiance the good fresh, veil just broke trip.

to get to my point- over the years that i didnt cult. shrooms i waz growen weed. and i learned alot about coco fiber. its has massive water retention and holdd 33% air. so would it be beter than vermiculite to mix with brown rice?? with faster colonization time i dont know if anyone uses this now but i dont remember hearing anything about it when i cultivated shrooms,
and if it waz beter, than maby u could mix more brown rice into each jar without it clumping up and slowing growth. wich would mean a bigger yield. so if anyone has any info or inpute about usen cocofiber/BRF instead of vermiculite/BRF then plz speak up....well type up i guess

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tardy to the Party
Re: question about a vermiculite substitute [Re: Zigma]
    #4092452 - 04/24/05 07:42 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I haven't seen anyone attempt it. Although it would retain more water, I would question it as far as allowing the airspace to aid the mycelial growth... But I really can't give you one answer for sure.

--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: question about a vermiculite substitute [Re: Crasher]
    #4092593 - 04/24/05 08:23 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

From what I have been hearing from our local sources for verm. we need to find an alternative to verm. because no one is going to carry it anymore. Lowes near where I am said they are not going to carry it after this season, wal-mart doesn't carry it anymore, nor any of the local garden centers. Let us know if you try the coco fiber how you make out, cause I know I need to find an alternative. Anyone got any other suggestions. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

Re: question about a vermiculite substitute [Re: backupwards]
    #4092611 - 04/24/05 08:28 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Order it online, you can save up the cash. It'd be worth it too, 8 quart bags go a surprisingly long way.

OfflineZigma
Stranger
Re: question about a vermiculite substitute [Re: ImOver18]
    #4092934 - 04/24/05 10:02 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

ok kewl, i waz looken forward to being the one of the first ppl to test it. i plan on starten 4 boxes of 8oz jars. so i will make one jar with coco instead of verm.with same ratio

now has anyone ever tried to use peat moss instead of verm.??? cuz coco feels like peat moss. but it dont break down as fast and has more micro pores to hold more air. but its water holding capacity is about the same as vermiculite. so it hold same amount of water and lots more air. its just if the consistency of it is better or not. cuz man i tell ya a plant grows better in coco fiber than any other medium. and roots and mycelia are kinda the same thay both need moisture AND oxygen and food. shit all the jars i ever colonized even looked liked roots, just all thick white strands

but anyway ya ima make one jar and when its done ima make it into a one cake coco fiber casing, as as i would with vermiculite

about humidification i think ima just make the casings in rubermaids just in the bottom of the rubbermaid, not in a casing tray. then put the lids on. do u think it will be humid enough for them?? or will i get a bigger yield with a fish tank bubbler in a glass of water inside the rubbermaid. wich would also provide a constant air flow, provided i had a very small vent cut in the lidd. whatcha think??

Edited by Zigma (04/24/05 10:10 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Peat, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation