Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelittleharoldeh
Zoom Zoom Zoom
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Only can get whole brown rice, any advice and pint question
    #4092082 - 04/24/05 03:43 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Hi, I've got a little situation.  I can only find whole grain brown. its small looking, just like white rice I guess and its kinda brownish yellow. Are the kernals suppose to be bigger and solid brown. I thought they were in a picture I seen here on this site. Also, half pint jars, to make sure I get the right ones, are 250 ml correct. I was on Google and they say a full pint is 473, so I don't know where 250 comes from but thats the only kind of jars I could find, 12x250 ml, is this correct, haven't bought them yet, want to make sure. Also, do the jars have to be sterialized before you put the rice and vermiculite in or thats what the pressure cooker is for. I know you hear this kind of questions all the time. I've read abnout alot fo this but want to make sure and get tired of lookign for the stuff in the site, hopeing theres a few nice peopel there to lend some small advice for a newbie

CHow

Nathan :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemeehi
Being
 User Gallery

Re: Only can get whole brown rice, any advice and pint question [Re: littleharoldeh]
    #4092140 - 04/24/05 04:05 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Hey, Okay the rice should work, but what you should do with the brown rice is grind it (use a coffee grinder or blender) After grinding you essentially have brown rice FLOUR! :smile: The jars sound perfect as long as they are tapered (the mouths are bigger than the bottom so you can get the cakes out) Don't worry about sterilizing the jars just make sure they are relatively clean, the Pc'ing will kill the nasties. As for all your other questions you may have just follow these links

The basic guide:            http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7919

maximize your cakes:        http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23292
                            http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/25057

:goodluck:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Only can get whole brown rice, any advice and pint question [Re: meehi]
    #4092193 - 04/24/05 04:22 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

You dont need to grind it up if you dont want to.

Just soak it for 24 hours, simmer for 10-20 minutes. You dont want it to get mushy at all..you just want it to swell up a bunch. Strain it and mix in a 1/2pint worth of dry verm while you strain it (this will help get you water content even and such)...and strain it well. The grains shouldnt be wet looking or dripping at all... then load them into jars. Put 4 holes in the lid and get yourself some tyvek envelopes. Priority envelopes from the post office are made of tyvek. Cut the envelopes into disks and you put the lid on, then a tyvek peice, then the ring over the tyvek. PC for 60 minutes at 15 PSI and inoculate through all 4 holes, 1/4cc each. Cover each hole with a bandaid (2 going across in an X should work perfect) and incubate and fruit as cakes, case them whole as cakes (through them in a bucket or something and cover with casing mix), or break them up and case them. Either way it will work out better then BRF, IMO. You can do quarts of this stuff too, but make sure you only fill them about half way (or a little more) so you can shake them. Detailed steps on how I prepare my grain is in my signature, you can use it for any whole grain though (as far as the soaking simmering and straining tips). Good luck on whatever you decide to follow. :thumbup:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinecubicidal
Stranger
Re: Only can get whole brown rice, any advice and pint question [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4092359 - 04/24/05 05:17 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I've had a lot of problems with bacteria with whole grain brown rice, but then again I was cooking it, not soaking it.

InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tardy to the Party
Re: Only can get whole brown rice, any advice and pint question [Re: cubicidal]
    #4092487 - 04/24/05 05:51 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I've had great luck with whole brown rice and Quinoa, No contams, and fully colonized in 10 days (pint). I soaked and simmered. as for everthing else, Go with what Scat says. Scat knows best. I prefer freshly ground brown rice to purchased flour.

--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains