Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Agar, Hydroponics Supplies, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
Dry climate growers. (Spangladesh, MEX, NM, S-CA, AZ, AUS)
    #4090004 - 04/23/05 11:43 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

What methods work well for you? How do you humidify? What problems have you faced growing any mushrooms in a dry climate? How do you cope?

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegratefulredhead

Loc: Off the map....
Re: Dry climate growers. (Spangladesh, MEX, NM, S-CA, AZ, AUS) [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #4090173 - 04/24/05 12:45 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I've lived in dry climates. I'v been using either perlite, an ultrasonic, or a combination of both, plus or minus some misting. right now, i'm having great success holding 95% with both perlite in a smaller space (with a little bit of spraying) and perlite + ultrasonic in a larger martha-type enclosure.

Agar found a pretty interesting "swamp mat" possibility. There is also the fish pump bubbler possibility...

--------------------

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Dry climate growers. (Spangladesh, MEX, NM, S-CA, AZ, AUS) [Re: gratefulredhead]
    #4090244 - 04/24/05 01:05 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I've been knocking around that idea about the swamp cooler pad since Agar's post. It makes a lot of sense. I have a few ideas of my own but I wanted to ask what others have tried, gather some more info and test my hypothesis through the summer heat of Spangladesh. I had problems with Pearlite getting bacterial. I think it's not the best thing for reducing contams but I don't have experience with anything else. I was also thinking of trying lava rock or hydroton with circulating water in an aerated drainage bed (Kinda like Hydroponics).

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Anonymous

Re: Dry climate growers. (Spangladesh, MEX, NM, S-CA, AZ, AUS) [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #4090500 - 04/24/05 02:38 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I grow in the dry southwest and don't really have many problems at all. A couple inches of perlite and occasional misting keeps the humidity of my tub in a nice mid 90s range.

Offlinexburn
V card
Re: Dry climate growers. (Spangladesh, MEX, NM, S-CA, AZ, AUS) [Re: ]
    #4090502 - 04/24/05 02:40 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

how do you combat the high temps of nature. I mean fruiting at 90 degrees in the summer is no bueno

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Dry climate growers. (Spangladesh, MEX, NM, S-CA, AZ, AUS) [Re: xburn]
    #4090537 - 04/24/05 02:52 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I live in the desert and just use a poor mans pod to grow my casings. Really ive found no problems with growing in a dry climate unless I forget to put the lid back on or something. I haven't had any problems with temp in the summer, i dont have air conditioning, but since im in a high desert it usually get down into the 40-50s at night so i can regulate the temp. in my house by opening widows during the night and closing them in the day to keep the cool air in.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Anonymous

Re: Dry climate growers. (Spangladesh, MEX, NM, S-CA, AZ, AUS) [Re: xburn]
    #4090668 - 04/24/05 03:52 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Sometimes the temps in my growing area do get a little too high (high 80s/low 90s). I just make sure a fan is kept on and the AC is on. Not very hard at all.

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Dry climate growers. (Spangladesh, MEX, NM, S-CA, AZ, AUS) [Re: ]
    #4091535 - 04/24/05 02:41 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Bumpiddy...bump..bump.bump-phhhhhht-ding!

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Agar, Hydroponics Supplies, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation