Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejak1357
DaArtOfStoryTelling
Loc: Florida, near tampa.
Quick newb questions
    #4089456 - 04/23/05 08:43 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

So im pretty new here, long time member of overgrow, anyways, im gonna get my shroom grow on real soon, i just have one question, well for now one question haha

i plan on using the 10g. cheap aqarium from wally world and do i need to disinfect the inside of it, also the plexi glass thats gonna be the spray sheild and the perlite? I have no idea if the perlite is sterile strait outa the bag, same with the aqarium....

and If i do need to can i just spray them down with lysol and let them dry or what??

also is their a easier way to make a airtight lid than is described in the PF tek tutorial.....

thanks

--------------------
- and people always told me money doesn't grow on tree's

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinejak1357
DaArtOfStoryTelling
Re: Quick newb questions [Re: jak1357]
    #4089463 - 04/23/05 08:45 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

also how the hell do i bookmark a thread here, i dont see te option anywhere

--------------------

Offlinejak1357
DaArtOfStoryTelling
    #4089477 - 04/23/05 08:49 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

ahh one last question i didnt see in the tutorial, when im puttin the cakes into the aquarium, how think of a layer of perlite do i want on the floor of the aquarium.

also what is casing, i still dont understand that term.....

thanks guys n gals

EDIT: nevermind just found the awnser to this question , still havent found on on the disinfecting of the aquarium / plexi glass and anything else going in their( im think wire mesh now)

--------------------

Edited by jak1357 (04/23/05 09:04 PM)

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
    #4089505 - 04/23/05 08:54 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i can tell u u need abotu a 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick layer of wet, not swimming, but wet perlite. if it were me i wouldnt probably sterilize the perlite if it is straight out of the bag. You might wanna wipe down the aquarium with warm soapy water when you get it or maybe bleach water.

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

OfflineBeentothere
Waiting for abus
Re: Quick newb questions [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4089568 - 04/23/05 09:16 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Overgrow! love that place. Anyways, I just thought I could add the fact that lysol causes mutations ( no personal experiences but there has been plenty of written ones ) I don't believe it is absolutely necessary to sterilize your terrarium because your cakes, hopefully, will be fully colonized. A good mixture for terrariums is something like 20 parts water 1 part bleach in a spray bottle and I'm pretty sure you can use rubbing alcohol too. Good luck hombre!  :mushroom2:

--------------------
When I try to get through,
On the telephone to you,
There'll be nobody home...

Offlinekratomboy
Drifter
 User Gallery

Loc: Nevada
    #4090280 - 04/24/05 01:16 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Welcome to the Shroomery! I'm fairly new here as well.
I sterilize all my stuff with alcohol. Lysol's given me some strange looking mutants so I stay away from that. Alcohol just evaporates leaving a trace of water behind. The perlite I use straight out of the bag, but I do mix in a lot of H2O2 with the perlite (1:9 H202 3% to Water) and when I need to re-moisten the perlite layer later I just use 3% H2O2 straight out of the bottle. I never let my cakes touch the perlite though, they're always on foil. I just re-dunk when they need moisture.

Offlinekillme
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Quick newb questions [Re: kratomboy]
    #4090418 - 04/24/05 02:08 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Your perlite should be clean straight from the bag because of the extreme temperatures used manufacturing it.

Offlinejak1357
DaArtOfStoryTelling
    #4090479 - 04/24/05 02:31 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

so you can add a shit load of h202 just like with the herbage huh??

I cant wait, the only question i have left is, do i really need to prop my cakes above the perlite, or can i just set them strait on their, if i cant, whats the esiest thing to use besides metal wire to do it???

thanks

--------------------

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Netherlands
    #4090582 - 04/24/05 03:12 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

u can put them right on there, though i suggest some tinfoil.
depending on how u make your jars and wether u dunk/roll your cakes
there might be vermiculite attached to the cakes. u dont want it to fall off and mix with the perlite cuz ull never get it out...
and it does look so very unprofessional :wink: (it dont hurt though)

another reason is that the myc may form rizomorphic structures that creep into the perlite. u definetly dont want any of that to get left behind in the perlite to rot n stuff...

dont go above 0.3% h2o2.

--------------------
-Know ye not that ye are gods?-
My homepage

Offlinekratomboy
Drifter
 User Gallery

#4091146 - 04/24/05 12:05 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

jak1357 said:
so you can add a shit load of h202 just like with the herbage huh??

I cant wait, the only question i have left is, do i really need to prop my cakes above the perlite, or can i just set them strait on their, if i cant, whats the esiest thing to use besides metal wire to do it???

thanks

I set mine on aluminum foil so they don't get too wet from the perlite. If you set your cakes directly on the perlite, you're going to water log them.

If you're not dunking/re-dunking, you can take the cakes off the foil and set them directly on the perlite when you need to rehydrate, but then you shouldn't use a shit load of H202 in the perlite as higher levels of H2O2 might damage the myc.

I recommend dunk & roll, and re-dunking to rehydrate when they dry out.

Offlinejak1357
DaArtOfStoryTelling
    #4091245 - 04/24/05 12:37 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

what exactly is this dunk and roll method, ive heard about it, but didnt see it anywhere in the beg. tek guide, do i do it for my first flush too or just the 2nd nd 3rd ect ect, to rehydrate the cake,

also what the heck is a casing? is it just the cake when the mcly has taken over??

--------------------

Offlinekratomboy
Drifter
 User Gallery

#4091308 - 04/24/05 01:03 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

jak1357 said:
what exactly is this dunk and roll method, ive heard about it, but didnt see it anywhere in the beg. tek guide, do i do it for my first flush too or just the 2nd nd 3rd ect ect, to rehydrate the cake,

also what the heck is a casing? is it just the cake when the mcly has taken over??

You should be able to use the search to find most of this info, these are all FAQ. Try searching the boards as well as the main site. There's a dunk & roll tek somewhere - I'd find the link for you but I'm just lazy right now and you can search for it yourself just as easily.

Basically you take your cake, and dunk it in water and refidgerate for 12-24 hours. Do this right before the initial birthing and also after every flush. This acts to rehydrate your cake and you'll get a longer life out of them. My first cakes I dunk & rolled half and they fruited MUCH better than the ones I didn't.

When you're done dunking, take the cake and roll it around in some sterile verm. Some people do it with dry verm and say it sticks better, but I like to moisten mine just slightly. I find that with dry verm, I just get a lot of dust sticking to my cake. If I moisten the verm just slightly I get rid of dust and get a heavier coverage.

Once you've rolled them place your cakes in your chamber and mist them real good to moisten the verm layer just applied.

Go here for info on casing.

Offlinejak1357
DaArtOfStoryTelling
    #4091610 - 04/24/05 03:02 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

naww the search on these sites never works for shit (well i know on overgrow and bluelight, so i would assume here,) but anyways

when you are handeling the cakes like that wouldnt u need to wear some latex gloves or something?? man i cant wait to get this syringes so i can get started ....

--------------------

Offlinekratomboy
Drifter
 User Gallery

#4091650 - 04/24/05 03:24 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

no gloves needed if you wash good before hand. Wash with anti-bacterial soap, up to your elbows, for at least 30 seconds.

OfflineIr0NLunG68420
BLaZeDuP
 User Gallery

Loc: Tripville
    #4092112 - 04/24/05 05:50 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Geolite works better then perlite IMO. Link to a cheap internet source for Geolite in my sig. peaC. :thumbup:

--------------------
"I never meant to give you mushrooms girl, I never meant to bring you to my world, but now you're sitting in the corner crying, and now it's MY FAULT, MY FAULT."
-Eminem-
Second grow log GT & B+
First grow log Mexicub & B+

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation