Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesnoo
Stranger

incubating pf spawned to tenn stud (too hot)
    #4088643 - 04/23/05 01:52 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I spawned some pf cakes to horse poo last night and put them in my TiT incubator. I opened it up to check the temp just now and it was around 80. but I checked the min/max and it said max was 104. What do I need to do to make sure my casings don't get this hot. Oh, and by the way I have a small blanket in the bottom of my top tub and the thermometer is just lying on the bottom. The casings are pretty big and take up most of the room in my incubator. What should I do?

Edit: Obviously I have to adjust the temp on the aquarium heater, but how low should I turn it. How much hotter is it inside the substrate than on the bottom of the tub?

Edited by snoo (04/23/05 01:54 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesnoo
Stranger

Re: incubating pf spawned to tenn stud (too hot) [Re: snoo]
    #4088897 - 04/23/05 03:33 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I've been checking the temp fairly often being careful not to let any direct light on them. The temp seems to be remaining fairly constant. The room temperature has been very constant. Could this possibly be a false reading? I don't get it.

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
    #4088903 - 04/23/05 03:36 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

it might have just been a wacky one time thing with the 104. if it seems to be staying constant then dont worry especially if it was 104 for not too long

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlinesnoo
Stranger

Re: incubating pf spawned to tenn stud (too hot) [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4088922 - 04/23/05 03:42 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I'm just worried about what the temperature could be inside the substrate. It is about 3-3.5 inches deep in a 14.6x8.4" tub. I've read that the dung itself creates a lot of heat and some even suggest you don't have to incubate. The container has a plastic lid with smalls holes in it, but the lid is not air tight itself. My a/c keeps the room temp in the lower 70's, should I just put it in the tub and unplug the heater?

Maybe I am worrying about it too much, but this is my first time and it's been going so well thus far. I don't want to risk messing anything up.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #4089100 - 04/23/05 04:50 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

who wants to help you w/ ratings like yours? i hope this isn't innappropriate and doesn't sound too dickish.

you should think about being nicer and maybe that niceness will come back to you. that is all.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Offlinesnoo
Stranger

Re: incubating pf spawned to tenn stud (too hot) [Re: TODAY]
    #4089216 - 04/23/05 05:16 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I'll be the first to admit I was a complete jerk in the other forums when I first registered over a year ago. I hadn't posted anything on this board in a long time until I came to the cultivation forum a month or so ago. The only low rating I've received since I came back was from Psychoslut. I went back and looked at my posts from the day he gave me the low rating and all I found was a thread where I made a typo and he quoted it. I apologize for the way I acted back then and hope some of you can focus more on my recent behavior. I haven't been rude to anyone since I came back and I help peoeple out when I am able to. I appreciate anyone and everyone's input.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

#4089376 - 04/23/05 06:23 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i'm glad you cleared that up. i know people change and all so i'm not gonna be a hardass to you anymore. your temperature (70 f) is about like mine and i don't do any extra heating while incubating, i think if i did it would get too hot. you can really feel the heat coming off the colonizing bulk when you open up the tub so i'm sure its fine.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.

Offlinesnoo
Stranger

#4089551 - 04/23/05 07:08 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Thank you for understanding.

It's about 80 in my TiT and I can see condensation on the lid of the the casing trays. I know I've read about a lot of people incubating their poo casings, but I still worry about it being too hot. It's a real pain in the ass for me to adjust the temp in my TiT. The top tub would just float so I had to use some string on each side to tie it down so it is submerged a little bit.

haha I'm really torn on what to do. If I can get some more opinions/info from others I would appreciate it.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

#4090071 - 04/23/05 10:10 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

can you feel heat when you open up your rubbermaid or whatever the poo is incubating in? if you can feel heat and the outside temp. is 70F you should be fine. i won't incubate my shit because it seems hot enough by itself and colonizes well so its all good and my temp is around 70-75F (similar to yours).

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.

Offlinegratefulredhead

Loc: Off the map....
    #4090802 - 04/24/05 03:19 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

as i'm learning myself these days, most folks don't incubate bulk manure or compost because it generates its own heat.

--------------------

Offlinesnoo
Stranger

Re: incubating pf spawned to tenn stud (too hot) [Re: gratefulredhead]
    #4090839 - 04/24/05 03:52 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Damn! Either something is wrong with my thermometer or the substrate creates more than enough heat itself. A few hours ago I unplugged the heater and stuck the casings in there wrapped in a big blanket. I checked the temp a few times since and it's always been between 78 and 81. But I just checked now and the max said 104. I took the big blanket out and now I just have it loosely covered up with the small one that was covering the bottom.

Offlinesnoo
Stranger

#4091487 - 04/24/05 12:10 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Well, they got down to 71 last night. Anyone have any ideas?

Offlinegratefulredhead

#4091504 - 04/24/05 12:21 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

That is a big change. You might check with another thermometer, and/or really make sure you are resetting the temperature max.

--------------------

Offlinesnoo
Stranger

Re: incubating pf spawned to tenn stud (too hot) [Re: gratefulredhead]
    #4091532 - 04/24/05 12:38 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I guess the 71 could have been while I took it out to reset the min/max?? Just since I've had the heater back on my thermometer says it's gotten up to 90. I'm really at a loss for what to do.

I'll get another thermometer to check with sometimes soon. I'm using my Flucker's thermo/hygrometer.

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Loc: close enough to get mysel...
    #4091554 - 04/24/05 12:45 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

look into getting a thermo/hygrometer from these guys http://www2.oregonscientific.com/catalog/subcategory.asp?c=2&s=5 they make really killer stuff; i'm going to buy the projection alarm clock w/ambient and remote temp/humidity readings :grin: i bought a projection alarm clock from them almost two years ago and its still running on the batteries it came with.

and they get the time from the US atomic clock every night, so the accuracy is never a question.

--------------------
Under his instruction, I taped drumsticks to his head and turned him into a sort of mummy, or perhaps a caterpiller in a cocoon. He remains this way for about three hours, making bizarre noises, pretending to be a new species that must learn to walk and talk and eat, etc. And he communicates with other life forms by way of the antennae on his head. Eventually we jam a tube from a waterbong into it's mouth and figure he's learned all he needs to know.

Offlinegratefulredhead

Re: incubating pf spawned to tenn stud (too hot) [Re: starseed1066]
    #4091578 - 04/24/05 12:51 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Just take the blankets away, keep the rubbermaid in a closet, and see what today and tonight bring.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck