Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineredshadow
Kaskaladin' OnBy
 User Gallery

questions for an anxious newbie
    #4088487 - 04/23/05 03:05 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

hey everybody,

im a newbie and this is my first time growing. so far so good, i have four nearly colonized BRF cakes(that are taking forever to colonize!). only one was contaminaed with those crappy black pin heads that gorw off of carbohydrates or whatever. i had a couple questions:

My incubator is at optimal conditions 82-86F, usually 84F, but its been about 23 days and none of the cakes have fully colonized although some are close. i diddnt pack my cackes to tightly and im thinking that mabey thats why its taking so long, some of the sides i inclonated did not germinate. i also have no light source for the mycelium, do they need that? what about for pinning? What can i do to accelerate the growth of the mycelium? is levaing a small vent for air of pass though the incubator slowing the mycelium?

Also how long do i have to leave the light on when my cakes are fruting? ive herd three hours a day is ok, ive also herd that some thing like 12 hours a day is needed. 12 hours seems kinda crazy but im also thinkin' 3 may not be enough. the friuting chamber is in my closet and the 10 gallon tank is wraped in balck paper so no light will get in unless its from the top, and even then is will be very little considering its in my closet.

--------------------
=<{:Its only when you've lost everything that your free to do anything.......:}>=

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
Re: questions for an anxious newbie [Re: redshadow]
    #4088503 - 04/23/05 03:11 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

You don't want to pack your substrate down AT ALL! Not even a little bit.  Just loadem up and keep em nice and fluffy.  If you packed them down at all this will explain the extended colinization times.  You don't want light on your jars while incubating, light is a pinning trigger.  I get my shroomies 6 hrs of light/day.  Also, try flipping your jars upside down for the final stretch of colinization, as this may help speed it up... GL bro :stoned:

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Rotation

Loc: That Way
    #4088506 - 04/23/05 03:11 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

packing your cakes loosely will spead up colonization cause air can get to the substrate.
you do not want a light source for the mycelium to grow or youll get premature pins.
you need 12 hours of light 12 dark for pinning then 6 light 18 dark once pinned.
when you have a stalled cake flip the jar upside down, give a tap on the bottom to seperate the substrate from the jar, this will allow for better airflow. if you have tape on the jar take it off.
a thing i do is hold the jar upside down over a hepa filter to force some good clean air into the jar.
read up on the Dunk and Roll

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tardy to the Party
    #4088508 - 04/23/05 03:12 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

"some of the sides i inclonated did not germinate."

I've had that happen as well, turns out that can actually be contamination, I know Roadkill knows the name of it, like baccilus or something.

In the colonization run, you don't need light, in fact, you don't want it. For pinning I've been running 12/12 because I can and it mimics nature, I haven't experimented with other times, so maybe someone else can pick that up. When my PF jars stall (because I always do pint PF jars) I put replace the metal lid with tyvek and secure it with the band, and also flip 'em upside down for a few days, that normally does it.

--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
Re: questions for an anxious newbie [Re: lemon_lw]
    #4088511 - 04/23/05 03:12 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

*jinx!

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Rotation

Loc: That Way
Re: questions for an anxious newbie [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #4088514 - 04/23/05 03:13 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

yep

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation