Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Can I please get some eyes on my first casing? (pics)
    #4087982 - 04/23/05 09:37 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Okay, so I'm currently on day 12 in the fruiting chamber. I am casing and fruiting in the same container using a TiT. I have B+ crumbled cakes (BRF) and 50/50+ casing mix. I fan 4-6 times per day and follow with a lite misting. Temps are 72-74 degrees with 98% humidity. How do I lower my RH in this situation?

I got my first pin on Thursday morning and a few thereafter. I'm really frustrated because I don't see much pin action going on. It's very slow and does not seem in line with everyone else. I see some posts saying "Look what I found when I came home", implying that their pictured multitude of pins occurred in only a matter of hours.

I really hope that my casing is not ruined due to overlay. I can't tell if what I'm seeing are knots or overlay. Any experience would be helpful. Here are some photos of one of my casings:

Are there any recommended changes based on my TiT setup and the fact that I'm fruiting in the same chamber that I cased in? You guys have been awesome and I really want to hear your opinions, good or bad.

Edited by augustin7 (04/23/05 11:13 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJazzMatazz
addict

Loc: Vienna, Austria
Re: Can I please get some experienced eyes on my first casing? (pics) [Re: Wronguy]
    #4088040 - 04/23/05 10:01 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Im not a pro here, but id say your fine. The Myc is still white not grey, and thus still alive.
If you havent got any pins up to now, then IMHO its already to far into a prepinning stage.(Bt obviously thats not your fault cause you started a week ago).
As you seem to be doing all really fine (out of the way you write and your politeness i infer your trying to do all right and have read loads - am I right?!) the only real options are:
- Do you have light introduced into the setup?
- That one shroom growing is already very fat, which means youve got loads of humidity, but doesnt mean it wont start pinning. Lots of humidity only means stunted shrooms, not none! - Nevertheless id lower the fanning to 3 times a day, concidering your chamber is quite big. This will keep up the humidity, but not always at a peak (which comes after every fanning)

Good luck and dont be dissapointed!!! - Sometimes free spores can be crappy (if you have one that is)

Jazz

P.S: The guys with the "look what i found when i got home" is cause a.) once pinned shrooms grow quickly b.) it gives them the kicks out of themselves

--------------------
Perception is limited to consciousness.Expand it and unfold other realities.

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can I please get some experienced eyes on my first casing? (pics) [Re: JazzMatazz]
    #4088049 - 04/23/05 10:07 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the reply JazzMatazz. I forgot to add that I am giving 12+ hours of indirect sunlight. It does seem that everyday I find 1-2 new pins forming, but man is it slow going. I can wait out the growing phase, as long as there is a decent amount of pins on the way.

As far as the reading is concerned, I've read so much on this forum. I'm actually spawning EQ to horse manure and I haven't even harvested my first grow! Reading up on the posts, teks, and using the search function has given me more confidence to experiment.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can I please get some experienced eyes on my first casing? (pics) [Re: Wronguy]
    #4088075 - 04/23/05 10:17 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

you waited too long to fruit your casing.

you should have initiated fruiting...as soon as the mycelium just started to come up to the casing layer.

now you have mycelium all over the top of the casing layer...and your pinset is suffering because of it.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinesludge
blunt rapter

Loc: somewhere in usa
Re: Can I please get some experienced eyes on my first casing? (pics) [Re: Roadkill]
    #4088114 - 04/23/05 10:34 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i see what your talking about road lol

--------------------
Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
See my heart I decorate it like a grave
You don't understand who they
Thought I was supposed to be
Look at me now a man
Who won't let himself be

OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: Can I please get some experienced eyes on my first casing? (pics) [Re: sludge]
    #4088129 - 04/23/05 10:38 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Your casing is pulling away from the side an indication of minor overlay and a lack of penetrating humidity. I'd wait for this microflush to finish and then deep scratch and moisturize with a psuedo-dunk i.e. misting saturation. After that I'd add a thin layer of casing on top, cold shock... and voila. You're casing would have been through hell, but you should be back on the road you want to be on.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can I please get some experienced eyes on my first casing? (pics) [Re: sludge]
    #4088133 - 04/23/05 10:40 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

My container was put into fruiting conditions 2 days following casing. I patched and went directly into fruiting conditions. Can you think of any other reasons or things that I can do now to change the current condition Roadkill?

I have 3 casings going like this one, more or less, do you think I'll get at least 1 ounce dry weight with multiple flushes? If I can get at least 1 ounce dry after 2-3 flushes, than I'll chalk this up as experience for the next grow.

Has anyone every tried cutting out mycelium from a casing under sterile conditions, re-patch, and continue with success?

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can I please get some experienced eyes on my first casing? (pics) [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #4088144 - 04/23/05 10:44 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

HerbanShaman said:
Your casing is pulling away from the side an indication of minor overlay and a lack of penetrating humidity. I'd wait for this microflush to finish and then deep scratch and moisturize with a psuedo-dunk i.e. misting saturation. After that I'd add a thin layer of casing on top, cold shock... and voila. You're casing would have been through hell, but you should be back on the road you want to be on.

I like your train of thought. I think the problem I'm going to run into is continually pinning. I see new pins everyday. After the first microflush, should I deep scratch around the pins, not disturbing them, and patch around them? Will cold shocking ruin any remaining pins?

Thanks for the help guys. I do appreciate it.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4088150 - 04/23/05 10:46 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

personally...I'd pull the one pin.

add more casing material...and fruit it when the mycelium just starts to reach the top of the casing layer.

thats what I would do.

take care!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:

Offlinegratefulredhead

Loc: Off the map....
Re: Can I please get some experienced eyes on my first casing? (pics) [Re: Roadkill]
    #4088187 - 04/23/05 11:06 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i agree with road--i've made similar sort of mistakes, but kept going, and ended up with not much in terms of yield. give roadkills advice a shot, and then update us in a week or so.

--------------------

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
    #4088192 - 04/23/05 11:09 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Roadkill, I have more than one pin though. I have 6 and more are coming everyday in each container. What will happen to the pins if I patch now? Should I scratch the mycelium, re-case, and go again after the first small flush, as HerbanShaman suggested?

If I start over, should I save the small pins or just trash them?

Thanks for the help.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4088206 - 04/23/05 11:16 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

hard choice...you have to make it...not us.

either let it go...and take what you get.

or pull the pins that you see...scratch it and re-case it.

or leave the pins and patch it and hope for the best.

your choice!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Brainiac said:

InvisibleStonerguy
I smoke penis
Male

Loc: Lost
Re: Can I please get some eyes on my first casing? (pics) [Re: Wronguy]
    #4088211 - 04/23/05 11:18 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah put somemore casing on there and refruit.

Ohh and Sin City is an awsome movie (That is that crazy fucker that eats people right?)

--------------------
yawn...
SG

InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tardy to the Party
Re: Can I please get some eyes on my first casing? (pics) [Re: Stonerguy]
    #4088217 - 04/23/05 11:23 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

August, I had a similar problem with mine... I scratched, recased, and coldshocked, now everything is doing much better.

--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

Offlinexburn
V card
Re: Can I please get some eyes on my first casing? (pics) [Re: Crasher]
    #4088245 - 04/23/05 11:38 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

heck yes he eats people

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can I please get some eyes on my first casing? (pics) [Re: xburn]
    #4088327 - 04/23/05 12:11 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, he's the guy that was super quiet and a cannibal. I love the avatar. The movie kicked ass.

Thanks for all of the replies people. I'm going to continue fruiting for another 7 days, scratch, re-case, cold shock, and then we'll see what happens.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can I please get some eyes on my first casing? (pics) [Re: Wronguy]
    #4088481 - 04/23/05 01:03 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Well, I'd just let it go...Id try and drop the humidity to 85% (or as close as you can to it), that will help eliminate those fuzzy balls of rhizos forming. Thats what will flatten out and lead to overlay.

You can see it going on here:

And that turns hard and yellow and turns into a mat.

Those above are on about day 14. GT's gave me a problem and aggressivly grew and grew and wouldnt pin. Other strains preped the same way on the same shelf pinned and flushes while I was still waiting for pins. All in all though the casings didnt turn out to bad. Pinned right after that and they flushed like this:

Not great, but not bad either. From there out I coldshocked my GT's for a day on about day 6 and they pinned easier...still a little tough.

Your current plan sounds like a fine one.

Oh and as for the early pin...doesnt mean anything...this one had a pin show up 2 days before the others:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Edited by scatmanrav (04/23/05 01:23 PM)

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Loc: Parts Unknown
Re: Can I please get some eyes on my first casing? (pics) [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4088526 - 04/23/05 01:19 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Hehe, leave it to Scat to point out what I spotted first. You said 98% humidity in your original post. That is a bit too high for the pin formation stage I think. Drop it to 85% or below like Scat said. As for what to do with the casing, Road got that a couple posts up hehe. You have pretty myc going on in your pics, so you are just at a point of fine tuning looks like to me. You should be happy with your results soon enough.

--------------------
If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can I please get some eyes on my first casing? (pics) [Re: Underhillmaster]
    #4088565 - 04/23/05 01:31 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks Scatman. Your advice is always appreciated. You've got me thinking now. Should I stop misting all together and crack my lids to lower the humidity? I can't think of any other way to reduce it, can you?

Will those fuzzy little balls ever fruit now? I assume the answer is no.

Any other opinions out there?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags