Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Religion and plastic surgery
    #4086991 - 04/23/05 01:20 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

If a person believes that we are made perfect in God's image, why do so many "modern" women (moreso than men) try so hard to become more "beautiful"?

Was God a failure? Was he having a bad body-sculpting day on the day the patient was born?

Wait! I apologize, as once again I expected consistency with stated beliefs. My bad!

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Religion and plastic surgery [Re: Swami]
    #4087027 - 04/23/05 01:31 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

he made you perfect then satan messed you up as you got older

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Loc: precious
    #4087030 - 04/23/05 01:32 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Looks are superficial and you know it, why do you prod a dead horse?
The image of God is Nature and all its forms.
I for one am not for plastic surgery, but even the best of us perform plastic surgery of our minds and spirits often to somehow better ourselves, don't we??
Those people are just looking for a quick fix when the problem is underneath.

--------------------
these long agonizing months without you...have been long and agonizing..
"War Doesn't Decide Who's Right... It Only Decides Who's Left."

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Religion and plastic surgery [Re: flowstone]
    #4087063 - 04/23/05 01:41 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

why do you prod a dead horse?

I hope that you are consistent and ask everyone why they made a post and not just me. Why you are at it, please give a detailed explanation as to why you replied.

Thank you.

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #4087077 - 04/23/05 01:48 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

On a related note, I'm always amazed at evangelical Christian leaders who dye their hair. How can you claim to represent the Truth when your hair color is False? What the hell is up with that??

Can you imagine Moses coming down from the mountain with black hair instead of his traditional white flowing beard? Isn't age supposed to represent wisdom? If you are lying about your age aren't you promoting NOT spirituality, but youth and sexuality/carnality (its opposite)?

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Religion and plastic surgery [Re: Jellric]
    #4087097 - 04/23/05 01:55 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Ummm, yeah... *Swami hides "Just For Men" beard & mustache dye*

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: Religion and plastic surgery [Re: Jellric]
    #4087148 - 04/23/05 02:13 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

:thumbup: Hair dying, and hair cutting are teh devil! (some ol' shit in the bible about cutting one's hair and shaving)

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflineDeviate
Re: Religion and plastic surgery [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4087454 - 04/23/05 04:09 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

are you talking about casual religious people or serious religious people? from my observations quite a lot of religious people don't seem to behave in ways at all consistent with their beliefs. but then there are people who are more serious about it and will actually make an attempt to act according to what they believe (although they often fall short as well).

Offlineslaphappy
Its just me
 User Gallery

Loc: Norway, Eidsvoll, Råholt...
Re: Religion and plastic surgery [Re: Deviate]
    #4087834 - 04/23/05 09:44 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, of course, everybody as christian as Britney Spears has a boob job.

I found a flaw in the universal law of religion, yay me

--------------------
The argent messenger of truth beyond truth, the antithesis of life, cruel and bleak as interstellar space, pulseless and frozen as absolute zero, dazzling with the frost of irrefragable logic and unforgettable fact.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4088002 - 04/23/05 11:49 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
If a person believes that we are made perfect in God's image, why do so many "modern" women (moreso than men) try so hard to become more "beautiful"?

Was God a failure? Was he having a bad body-sculpting day on the day the patient was born?

Wait! I apologize, as once again I expected consistency with stated beliefs. My bad!

I thought it was simple, those who go to plastic surgery don't think that they were made perfect, those who are happy with their looks
think god made them perfect.

And besides sometimes perfection means inevitability, meaning something is perfect if it is a closed system with no room for
chance. In that way anything that exists is perfect the way it is because it was mend to be just like that.
For example a retard is perfect because there was no way he could have ever been born differently. His genes were "sequenced" as a result of cause and effect in microcosmos and every component grew out of a specific set of conditions and rigid physical laws, therefore there was no room for flexibility.
If you consider human factor into the equation too, you could say that the retard was born in the time when there was no ways of manipulating his genes, which is just another one of those fixed conditions.
So in the end everything is perfect because it follows natural laws of the universe and it can work no other way than that.

That intepretation of the word perfect involves the assumption that
the human mind is just as programed as a chemical reaction in a tube is, meaning every thought is not ours but a simple set of reactions
based on cause and effect, just like a pocket calculator.

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4088306 - 04/23/05 02:03 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Fuck all the plastic surgery and hair dying. As I get older I prefer to look older...not decrepit...just older. Hiding who I am doesn't hide it from myself, so what is the point since I don't give a shit what anyone else thinks. I am going to be the consummate old man in 25 or so years. I will be opinionated and bossy (not far left to go there), and I will shake my fist at young whippersnappers who draw my ire. At that point in my life I plan to stay fried more often than not.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineRetired
Re: Religion and plastic surgery [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4088325 - 04/23/05 02:10 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

ill take the fried road also

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#4088420 - 04/23/05 02:47 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

You got it all wrong mate.(coyot) It is not about deceiving anyone!!! It is about liking to see yourself in a certain shape. If someone feels nice by doing that, dying his/her hair, or doing plastic surgery, they are not deceiving anyone! They know how old they are but they try to look their best. It is their right to do so. And even those who may try to decieve are doing it because they probably feel insecure with the response the world has given to them. Now someone would say, "so the world is to blame". Well, no. It is a tough world the one that we're living, for some tougher than others. You can not enforce anyone to like grey hair. Some people like it, other don't. Unfortunately the majority I believe don't. They are not to blame though. They and their mindset, as well as the "grey" people are all part of nature, part of a whole.

--------------------

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

Re: Religion and plastic surgery [Re: Shroomerious]
    #4088446 - 04/23/05 02:55 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Being 'beautiful' makes most people very happy. If someone feels 'unbeautiful' and wants to become 'beautiful' through plastic surgery, I'm all for it. The reasons may be completely superficial, but I don't give a shit. Whatever makes you happy is what matters. Self-hatred, self-pity, skewed personal image, are terrible vices that some people simply are not strong enough to overcome... so they change their body instead.
Nothing wrong with taking the easy way out. Is there?

--------------------
PsyPost - Psychedelic Research

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Religion and plastic surgery [Re: Shroomerious]
    #4088480 - 04/23/05 03:03 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Well, I think that plastic surgery is a godsend for the disfigured or even the truly dog-ugly. I myself am neither. I agree that when you look your best that you feel that way too, but plastic surgery and makeup is not required for me, personally, to feel that I look my best. I don't want to lose the imperfections that give me my individuality. Each scar or blemish has a good story behind it, and they were too dearly won to give up in order to have the bland, generically configured, good looks that often come with plastic surgery or heavy makeup. I like character in people's looks and plastic surgery tends to remove it. Note: I have been and am merely stating my preference...not laying down a law.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Religion and plastic surgery [Re: Deviate]
    #4088543 - 04/23/05 03:25 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Deviate said:
are you talking about casual religious people or serious religious people? from my observations quite a lot of religious people don't seem to behave in ways at all consistent with their beliefs. but then there are people who are more serious about it and will actually make an attempt to act according to what they believe (although they often fall short as well).

Both... it's impossible to fully adhere to Christianity, hence placing everyone in the realms of sin as so many bullshit constraints are placed onto them through their religion.

So either way they're sellouts picking and choosing the beliefs that support their lifestyle, and justifying it in the same manner. I've met and seen many a young Catholic use lent as a form of repentance for their deviant behavior....

Short of not being human, it's impossible to do everything set about within the Bible and to lead a happy life, which often leads to inspirations in the Bible suggesting that Jesus was an alien, as his behavior is so alien to normal behavior, as is much of what is preached in the Bible.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
-Substance over Style.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Religion and plastic surgery [Re: Retired]
    #4088571 - 04/23/05 03:32 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, but don't wait

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4088613 - 04/23/05 03:42 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

"Yeah, but don't wait"
Ruining your life at near the end of it has a major advantage...you don't have long to suffer the consequences.

--------------------

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4088889 - 04/23/05 05:30 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

:lol: Young whippersnappers... I always wondered just WTF that meant.. anybody know?

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Religion and plastic surgery [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4088972 - 04/23/05 06:00 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Here you go:
whippersnapper
noun : someone who is unimportant but cheeky and presumptuous.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology