Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
The power of Quang Duc...
    #4085860 - 04/22/05 05:28 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I got into a long conversation with myself about the life and death of Quang Duc. I know he wasnt the only one to set himself on fire in protest, but that is what really got me thinking. How could someone really sit there through that incredible amount of pain? what teachings had he learned to be able to not have that affect him?

Im sure lots of people will say meditation, but i was wondering about the actual external stimuli and physics of pain. Last night i pinched myself and held it, so there was a constant stream of pain, and I started to focus on that pain and break it down into what it really was: electrical impulses telling me "PAIN!". At that point I could just perceive this "pain" as a perception of pain (if that makes sense to any of you), which it then ceased to hurt, or be painful.
Now, this little pinch took all of my concentration, and I doubt i could do it while being set on fire, but i really feel this is the way Quang Duc did it.
I also kind of cognited on something i already knew, but it just cemented it into my being, which was: we perpetually create this sensory movie which we call reality. We create and project our reality to ourselves, using the external stimuli we perceive. Since we believe and rely so dearly on our perceptions we devoutly believe in them as truth, yes that is pain, yes it is bright in here, yes i hear that car, and POOF you project a 3D environment full of all the data you believe from your perceptions.
So basically, all perception is a messenger running up to you and saying "your in pain!", and you can choose to believe the messenger and experience the said pain, or just see him as a messenger and that be all.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: The power of Quang Duc... [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #4086161 - 04/22/05 07:22 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

hmmm, i figured this one would drop. Maybe it is just one of those things everyone is saying "well, duh".

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4086205 - 04/22/05 07:41 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I think the thing is, regardless if one masters the ability or not, I don't think anyone has intentions of hanging out in fires or hitting themselves in the head with hammers yada yada because they can do it pain free.  :cuckoo:

The other thing is is that pain physical pain has a use and purpose. Ever read about those kids who can't feel it and have broken over 200 bones by age 2. Without the ability to feel the pain of pressure, they don't know when they are pushing their bones beyond breaking points.

Say a messenger is telling you that thee is a toxic gas leak in the neighborhood and you need to evacuate for your own safety or else die from over exposure to this chemical. If you snuff out the messengers message, you will die.

Sure, yogis do this stuff for demonstrations like stick big pins through their arms and what not, but what are some actual practical uses for it? If you can think of some and share them here, that may generate more interest in this art.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: The power of Quang Duc... [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4086234 - 04/22/05 07:48 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

:rotfl:

I was just picturing a guy saying, "Hey look at what I can do! I can burn myself to death and not feel a thing" Then up in flames he goes. :bye:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #4086447 - 04/22/05 08:51 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

More interesting than the pain element to me, is the decision-making process.

"Hmmm, well let's see what I can do to help. I can get involved in the process and work through the UN or become a photo-journalist or a reporter or give aid to the wounded or poor..."

*takes another puff off some Thai Stick*

"Nah, too much work and might actually have an affect. Instead I will add to the greenhouse gasses and make a frigging mess for someone to clean up and really hurt my family for a single photo-op."

In a follow-up interview, his brother, Peking Duc, stated, "I think Quang was just depressed with monastic life - you know, no women or booze and shearing off his hair really got to him..."

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: The power of Quang Duc... [Re: Swami]
    #4086893 - 04/22/05 10:53 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:

"Nah, too much work and might actually have an affect. Instead I will add to the greenhouse gasses and make a frigging mess for someone to clean up and really hurt my family for a single photo-op."

In a follow-up interview, his brother, Peking Duc, stated, "I think Quang was just depressed with monastic life - you know, no women or booze and shearing off his hair really got to him..."

:lol: :handth: :bow:

I did give looking for the practical application of this some thought. I started thinking along the lines of using it as a replacement for anesthetics because they are risky.

I just saw a show about a 19 year old girl who was scheduled to have laser hair removal surgery done on her legs. She was prescribed a compound pharmaceutical anesthetic cream to apply to her legs and wrap in cellophane 20 minutes before her appt. They found her unconscious in her car. She was in in a coma and died 8 days later. It was a bumb compound script and it OD'd her and another 24 year old woman in Arizona.

Had she had this ability to handle the pain of laser treatment surgery on her legs, she'd be alive today soooooooooooooooooo

I dunno. I mean to get that good at trusting it for surgery, we would have to start training from birth and even then???????

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (04/22/05 10:54 PM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: The power of Quang Duc... [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4086949 - 04/22/05 11:08 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

My favorite was the blonde teenage girl who was getting ready for a tropical winter vacation. She went to every tanning salon in town on the same day where you can get your first tan free. She did something like 200 minutes of intense UV and died the next day.

True story and no offense to blondes.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: The power of Quang Duc... [Re: Swami]
    #4087233 - 04/23/05 12:40 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I don't think the point was WHY he lit himself on fire, it was whether or not you CAN ignore that much pain.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: The power of Quang Duc... [Re: freddurgan]
    #4087540 - 04/23/05 02:28 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i dont really believe in fire.

its never been proven that heat even exists let alone FIRE.

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: The power of Quang Duc... [Re: Todcasil]
    #4087550 - 04/23/05 02:31 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Todcasil said:
i dont really believe in fire.

its never been proven that heat even exists let alone FIRE.

:thumbup: Fire believes in you though! Their are several ways to prove this... want me to elaborate?

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: The power of Quang Duc... [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4087557 - 04/23/05 02:34 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

hehe, when i clicked on that "ok" i said to myself..

"oh shit, im not in the pub!"

:wink:

:heart:

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: The power of Quang Duc... [Re: Todcasil]
    #4087700 - 04/23/05 04:18 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

From my POV, there isnt really a point. Sure pain is a perception which aids survival. Sure there are more times that you need to sense pain than not. Being able to morph it into something else at certain times could be helpful in some situations. Anyone can light themselves on fire, but not many people can just sit there and take it.

OfflineCaptainJailew
Apathetic and Idon't care

Loc: Central Texas
    #4087730 - 04/23/05 05:35 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

It is a pretty useless "skill" though. Yea it would badass to be able to do that just because you could be the life of any S&M party you may be attending, but not very practical otherwise.

--------------------
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom