Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
Liquid Culture Not Growing On Grains
    #4084232 - 04/22/05 08:26 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i made a karo jar about 2 months ago and everything went very smoothly with the exception of the final stage. I shot 5 cc's into each one of 8 jars of grains and none of them grew. the grains are perfecly prepared as they have great water content. yesterday i broke up some pf cakes and spawned some african in them and they have already shown progress.i was wondering if anyone could give me some inout on what you think could have gone wrong. personally i think it was that i incubated the karo too long and when i shot it in the jars it had already eaten up all the sugar/carbs in the soltuion and died. any one else???

Edited by thenewguy05 (04/22/05 08:47 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Liquid Culture Not Growing On Grains [Re: thenewguy05]
    #4084327 - 04/22/05 09:01 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

>it had already eaten up all the sugar/carbs in the soltuion and died.

This wouldnt happen.

Ive incubated a culture for many months before, and it was still viable. Even after another many months of storage in the fridge. What size needles are you using? You sure you sucked up some good gobs of myc when you did it? 5cc's is unneeded and will just add more water to the jar. 2-3 ccs should be plenty. I have had similar things happen, but usually to old cultures...plenty of white, but no viability..I think it may have had to do with 21 gu needles, even though I could get lots of myc in the syringe.. Also you didnt shake the jars right after innoculating did you? Shouldnt do that if so...

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Liquid Culture Not Growing On Grains [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4084495 - 04/22/05 10:06 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Is there a chance the karo overheated when finished, killing the mycelium. Could you visibly see mycelium in the syringe?

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Re: Liquid Culture Not Growing On Grains [Re: blackout]
    #4084663 - 04/22/05 11:16 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yes the mycellium was very visable in the the syringes. i sucked out all the liquid until there was just mycellium in the jar about a 1/8 of the way up the jar was the only thing that was left and myc was clear as day. i filled 4 20 ml syringes. scat the needles are 18 gauge needles. i though those were perfect???i didn't store them in the fridge i just used them as soon as they were ready. i've recently read that a grain jar has to be buffered with gypsum for white buttom species.any truth to this???

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Re: Liquid Culture Not Growing On Grains [Re: thenewguy05]
    #4084712 - 04/22/05 11:28 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

P.S. i didn't shake the jars i figured all the tissue would run threw it and inncoluate. i also inoculated 5 brf cakes and 0% success. i must have f|_|cked something up somewhere else. i think i'll just have to redo everything from scratch and try again with a bigger jar of karo. then at least i'll have more mycellium to try to get going. is my incubation period too long. next time around i am going to try your 2 week method and let you know how it goes.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates