Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Mycobags

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedoubledtrapezoid
Stranger
at risk for contamination?
    #4083930 - 04/22/05 05:51 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

afoaf is growing grain-based mycobag style using b+ spores, but recently he has become concerned that the bags are at risk for contamination. the bags are kept in total darkness between 84-88? but 2 hours a day, for secrecy purposes, he needs to move them to a spot where the temperature is 70?. figured this would be fine, just slow down growth if anything. and that it has- its been exactly 2 months and the bags are only between 80-95% colonized. but that could also be because he only mixed once, after injection. for the past two weeks the colonization seems to be going very slowly and two bags became contaminated with green slime on the bottom. they were removed from the rest right away. now he is seeing the mycellum turning yellowish in certain spots. is that normal/no good? also some very small areas in the uncolonized substrate seem to have turned black, but since the mycobags had some black particles in the substrate to begin with he cant be sure that is really happening. probably just paranoid.

but here is the question...

he has noticed that a fair amount of moisture develops in the bag from the temperature decrease when he moves them and is beginning to think that something may be going wrong because of the repeated appearance of this moisture from the bags being moved every day. would that be a possible way contamination could occur? anything sound wrong with this setup?

thanks, help is much appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineiamgod
just some dudesome where

Loc: Crooklyn, New York
Re: at risk for contamination? [Re: doubledtrapezoid]
    #4089018 - 04/23/05 06:21 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

The moisture accumulating after mycelium has colonized most of the substrate sounds normal. The yellow spots are probably mycelial piss, which happens.

It is possible that with excess water something can begin to rot or that contam will occur. Since the bags are almost done it may or may not occur. You should be removing the bags soon anyway.

--------------------
If what you seek is truth then drugs can not offer truth. Drugs can offer the truth of drugs.......Altered states. Truth is not an altered state of mind. ~ Big Headed Nice Guy Who Loves You And Your Dog

http://www.inlibertyandfreedom.com/Flash/Think_It_Over.swf

Offlinedoubledtrapezoid
Stranger
Re: at risk for contamination? [Re: iamgod]
    #4090269 - 04/24/05 01:13 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

thanks for the reply. i saw his bags today though, and am now quite sure something is going wrong. the bags are very slimey on the bottom... the slime is clearish/whiteish/brownish and eventually turns green. anyone have an idea of what is going wrong? everything was properly sterilized and seemingly going perfect until a few weeks ago. sorry i cant describe it better, if i knew how to upload pics i could scan the bottom of some bags.
also i am confused when you say he should be removing the bags soon... everything ive read says the b+ strain grows entirely within the mycobag.

Edited by doubledtrapezoid (04/24/05 01:26 AM)

Offlineiamgod
just some dudesome where

Loc: Crooklyn, New York
Re: at risk for contamination? [Re: doubledtrapezoid]
    #4091530 - 04/24/05 02:37 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

By removing I meant that I thought you would be casing the bags. It's pretty hard to tell what happened or what it is without pictures. Try playing around with the forum to figure out how to upload them.

Could be a hole somewhere, could be rot, could be bacterial from improper preparatory techniques. At this point, if they are done but have that crap on the bottom I would remove the bags, clean them off, and case them, preferably outside somewhere.

I don't know what your situation is though, so you would have to do some research.

--------------------
If what you seek is truth then drugs can not offer truth. Drugs can offer the truth of drugs.......Altered states. Truth is not an altered state of mind. ~ Big Headed Nice Guy Who Loves You And Your Dog

http://www.inlibertyandfreedom.com/Flash/Think_It_Over.swf

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Mycobags

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum