Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
The Void
    #4082667 - 04/21/05 09:13 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Maybe the void I'm talking about isn't the real Void, I don't know. But anyway if this thing is really the ultimate truth behind everything it kind of bothers me.

It's like this endless black space of blankness filled with a world of illusions and holograms, which are all transparent. Behind it all there is no substance, just an emptiness. I'm not necessarily talking about Buddhist Emptiness, although it might be the same thing. It's just like it's all just light and projections in the darkness, and nothing is really there.

It makes me feel like a nihilist. My whole existence is just a projection of energy, like a movie on a screen. It is one dimensional, and there is nothing behind it.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BMX Tricks
Re: The Void [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #4082689 - 04/21/05 09:20 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I call that hollow feeling you get right before you plummet into tripping "being filled with the void", which is similar to what you have described, the void part that is...

OfflineHahzist
Surfing theWaves of Chaos

Re: The Void [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #4082710 - 04/21/05 09:30 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

How can there be such a thing as this void. You describe it as being nothing, which cant exist. What does it matter anyway? Your life is filled with tangible things... not too mention you think, are able to have fun, do drugs....where does this void business even fit in?

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: The Void [Re: Hahzist]
    #4082751 - 04/21/05 09:45 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I've found the void to be very comforting in times of stress, and depressing from the perspective of a "Western" frame of mind. In other words, Western thinking builds up the illusion of all the things which doesn't really exist in that void. It's scary & overwhelming to think of your existance as how you are now not really existing - at least when you've grown up with that your whole life. (and I use the term Western loosely, it's easy to overgeneralize groups of people)

But then I've come to realize that from that void comes all the beautiful aspects of life. Its because of that void that we're able to experience euphoria, bliss, and the other emotions in life. Its because of that void that no pain is ever permenant, and from the perspective of that void, pain is just an illusion which results from the negative challenges & difficulties in life.

There's also the fact that your existance is more then just an illusion. It's meaningful to other people. It seems meaningless when compared to the big picture, but that's largely because the big picture is unknown.

OfflineGog
hapless andhappy

Re: The Void [Re: Twirling]
    #4082886 - 04/21/05 10:35 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Despite the comfort this void might provide, physicality still comprises a massive if not major portion of what we perceive to be life, or existence. So all the accumulated pain that currently exists and the discordance of physicality with the void's premises gives me an unruly feeling.

OfflineGog
hapless andhappy

Re: The Void [Re: Gog]
    #4082893 - 04/21/05 10:37 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Of course, by the "void's premises", that unruly feeling could be interpreted as exciting and interesting.

OfflineHahzist
Surfing theWaves of Chaos

#4082896 - 04/21/05 10:38 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Im unfamiliar with this term "void". Im sort of grasping its concept, but why do u all call it the void? I think of it as more of a governing force within the fabric of matter and our realities. Not an empty nothingness. What would that do??

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #4082902 - 04/21/05 10:40 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

nothing behind it?

what do you consider valuable then?

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineDeviate
Re: The Void [Re: kaiowas]
    #4082951 - 04/21/05 10:56 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

whenever i think of the void i think of this jesus saying (not that i'm christian or anything but i often find meaning in jesus's sayings).

29. Jesus said, "If the flesh came into being because of spirit, that is a marvel, but if spirit came into being because of the body, that is a marvel of marvels.

Yet I marvel at how this great wealth has come to dwell in this poverty."

so what if it is a void and lacks substance in the way we think of it, what difference does it make as long as we can experience it? if the world was real would our experience really be much different? i think it almost makes life more interesting and beautiful. plus it allows for such things as trancendent and spiritual experiences.

Edited by Deviate (04/21/05 10:57 PM)

OfflineGog
hapless andhappy

Re: The Void [Re: Deviate]
    #4083332 - 04/22/05 01:03 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

It's interesting to investigate the nature of the term "void". I think it implies that the method by which reality manifests is from nothingness; and thus, the body of spirit that cohabits this dimension is "nothingness". A void.

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #4083352 - 04/22/05 01:07 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

It's hard because beauty and meaning and all the things we ascribe life just turn to hollow appearences in this void. Me, you, everything, it's not really there at all. It's just appearance. I feel like there really should be something there.

Perhaps the Clear Light of the Void is what I am looking for and not finding. Something very fundamental is missing, and without it nothing is grounded in the slightest. It's just numbers in a giant machine.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #4083413 - 04/22/05 01:22 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

To get to The Void, take Interstate 85 South until you get to the Culpepper Exit, then go right for 5 miles until you drive by the abandoned Texaco station and take your first left. It will turn into a dirt road. Drive past the cornfield and there you are where it dead ends.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#4083976 - 04/22/05 06:50 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

more a sense of enui than a productive confrontation with the void (AKA ongoing creation)

it has the nature of a sense of loss or losing.

this is too easy to get into, it takes a dedicated lack of imagination or awareness to maintain this while you effectively blanket what is really happenning in a dreary cloak of silence.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: The Void [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4083996 - 04/22/05 07:12 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

in an idealistic sense... the void cannot exist.  the idea of teh void as no substance is in fact its own substance.

there is no empty space but that which we imagine exists, and that only lies in our thoughts.

:heart:

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: The Void [Re: Todcasil]
    #4084263 - 04/22/05 10:44 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

that which undergirds the empty darkness is in fact itself shining void...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: The Void [Re: Swami]
    #4085027 - 04/22/05 03:03 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
To get to The Void, take Interstate 85 South until you get to the Culpepper Exit, then go right for 5 miles until you drive by the abandoned Texaco station and take your first left. It will turn into a dirt road. Drive past the cornfield and there you are where it dead ends.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=metaphor

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: The Void [Re: Twirling]
    #4085093 - 04/22/05 03:23 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I thought that was funny. I ask people what comes next after they get there and no one heading for the void has an answer.

Hmmmmmmm maybe some like the idea of heading towards mystery. I can relate to that.

Maybe some just like the idea of how peaceful and quiet and still it will be there. I like an occasional sabatical there so I can relate.

Maybe, some just like the idea of hanging out in the unmanifest potential of it all...all of the time never having to take action or do anything but hang out in it. I like to hang in it for a while and draw up inspiration from IT AND the actual manifesting and realising part and that's where I don't relate at all, the seeing it as a final destination.

I use to see it as hanging out in death while alive but now I am seeing it more as just hanging out in the pre birth energy zone.

To each his own.:heart:

I'm enjoying reading through this thread. I like hearing others thoughts on it. :thumbup:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #4085148 - 04/22/05 03:48 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

*SLAP* Wake up! Could you design and create a paramecium and get it to work? An amoeba? How about a human being? Behind all your apparent emptiness is Intelligent Design - systems built on systems built into more complex systems. The Great Chain of Being with Self-Effulgent BEING behind and within all phenomena. Why are you not living in a state of AWE? That is MY question. Do you like despair, depression, despondency, disillusion, disengagement? Hey, look through a microscope...a telescope. Who is doing the looking? You are. Awareness IS. Be aware of awareness, not it's temporary emotional coloring. THAT is the Clear Light of Unmitigated Reality - Awareness - an Infinite and Eternal Ocean of Awareness that spins off momentary eddies called human beings, momentary waves formed from the Ocean Itself that despairingly are deceived that they are lonesome separate entities from the Ocean. Hey, here we are. We ARE. YOU ARE. I AM. BE. You are BEING so enjoy, 'cause one day BEING will cease being YOU. BE more. "BE all that you can BE." BE HERE NOW.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: The Void [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #4085174 - 04/22/05 03:53 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

"BE all that you can BE."

You are an Army recruiter?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: The Void [Re: Swami]
    #4085193 - 04/22/05 03:58 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

:lol: Is that why everyone wants to be "one"? (an army of one)

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop: Microscope

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology