Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Finding meaning in EVERYTHING...do you? * 1
    #4081227 - 04/21/05 12:52 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I seem to be constantly finding meaning in every little stinking thing that happens to me. I don't even look for it...it finds me.

Going to the grocery store suddenly transforms itself into a magnificent, life-changing event because of the 'meaning' I saw in somebody's hat there. If I'm reading a book, words will poke out at me and I'll take meaning from them too.

It's everywhere. Things that I do, things that I don't do, things people say or don't say...there is some underlying meaning behind it all and whether I am conscious of it or not I am constantly trying to interpret it.

Usually the "meaning" has something to do with the grandiouse set of delusions I have in my mind. Well, I don't think that they are necessarily delusions, but I'm sure that most people would think they are. I am willing to admit they might be, but at the same time I don't really believe it.

Anyway, I recognize the danger in finding meaning in everything. Yet at the same time I have to admit that it makes life pretty entertaining.

You?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Finding meaning in EVERYTHING...do you? [Re: MOTH]
    #4081450 - 04/21/05 01:43 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Hiya Ellemish... I want to respond to this, because I DO seek out meaning in everything, but I'm not sure how to word what I want to say. I don't believe that anything has intrinsic meaning, but I do believe that the subjective meaning of what we experience is important and relevant to our development.

I think that finding meaning in everything is a means of subconscious expression... it's like your subconscious hinting to you what would be the best way to proceed forward in the current situation.

Of course, sometimes we misinterpret these signals... and sometimes we find 'signals' that are purely illusory... and this is where the dangerousness comes in.

But, I find that combining this ability with a self-honest, logical, conscious analysis takes most of the danger out of the equation.

And that leads me to the key... atleast for me. "The key" for me, is to balance intuition and logic. They are not two opposing sides as they are so often mistaken for on this messageboard... to me, intuition and logic fit hand in hand... they work together.

Guess that's aboot it. :smile:

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #4081526 - 04/21/05 02:06 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I don't find meaning in the meaningless.... however I do derive meaning from different sources, seen as meaningless to others. so... don't know where that leads me :shrug:.

Meaning is where you find it.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #4081562 - 04/21/05 02:26 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Enjoy it while it lasts.

We sometimes are VERY aware of our surroundings. I love these t9imes... but life works in circles... it won't last forever... but you'll get back into the zone again eventually.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #4081642 - 04/21/05 02:50 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The over-use of psychedelics created connections for me in unconnected phenomena back in the 70's. I'd be in someone's room for an hour with the TV on and music playing, not really thinking about it, but assuming that the music was coming from the TV as well when 'in reality' the TV volume was off and the stereo was on!

I've been at a huge Grateful Dead show under a high LSD dose and amphetamine combination, and experience myself as a Christian amidst Philistines - godless pagans - alone in a spiritual test. Complete paranoia, delusions of grandeur.

On the other hand, I have long chosen to believe in meaning. Synchronicities helped engender this belief, and the metaphor with which I do psychotherapy is an alchemical metaphor - the distillation of meaning (Gold) from the otherwise meaningless (Leaden) suffering of the human condition. Victor Frankl's 'Logotherapy' that focuses on the 'search for meaning' is a 5th chakra motivation. It arises from deep Compassion and leads into Union with Life.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #4081794 - 04/21/05 03:32 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yes!

"Hold everything, and it holds you!"
-Unknown ;P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlinemikeyboy
Stranger

Loc: UK
Re: Finding meaning in EVERYTHING...do you? [Re: Gomp]
    #4082016 - 04/21/05 04:22 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i read this and it reminded of of some research of schizophrenia i read upon. I've experienced quite close to me this condition and what your describing is what said person was experiencing yet to a lesser degree, for example interpreting a registration number as to have a hidden meaning etc

If this wasnt a type of reply you were after i apologise but thaught id share my view

Regards

--------------------
LSD: Defrag for the brain

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Re: Finding meaning in EVERYTHING...do you? [Re: mikeyboy]
    #4082239 - 04/21/05 05:20 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I'm more on the lines of creating meaning in everything, from the size of the building i enter, to being in my small room. When creating meaning I only enhance my experience, makes me feel good and keeps me moving.

Peace,
Droz

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4082469 - 04/21/05 06:33 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

What MarkostheGnostic said can be true, but I do this even after months and months of not using psychedelics. I call it personal interaction with the spirit.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4082582 - 04/21/05 06:57 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The meaning we impart onto happenings is subjective and usually only means something to ourselves. Ever attempt to share the profound meaning you derived from something only to have the other say, "yeah so?" :lol:

Funny how that works.

Lately for me , its been more like relating patterns and seeing the overlays. Like how I was at Bush Gardens today. I was on the bumper cars watching everyone spin in circles going round and round bumping into each other and laughing. Then I thought to myself that's what S&P is like some times.:lol:

The best was when it stopped, every went "AWWWWWWWWWWWWW" :sad: The group I was on with was just having so much fun like we have here. I'm glad this ride of S&P keeps going!

Back to the imparting or deriving meaning from life, you can be in a room with 5 others and the lights can go out. One thinks it means spirits are messing with them, one thinks it means they are about to be burglarized, one thinks it means there must be an electrical storm, one thinks it means the power company must be having trouble and one thinks it means their spouse may have spaced paying the electric bill.

I think different people see different meaning from the same event due to associations which relate to patterns being overlayed.

Just another perspective on all this, doesn't mean it's how it is.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Finding meaning in EVERYTHING...do you? [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4082654 - 04/21/05 07:10 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I dont mean this to be negative or assinine at all, but like mikeyboy said, schitzophrenics constantly search for and find some grandiose meaning in everything and become engrossed in it to the point it consumes them and their life entirely. Everything can have a million personal interpretations and if scrutinized long enough the arrangement of sesame seeds on my bread can have meaning or some bizarre coincidence. IMO, it is just you trying to justify a potential or past action to yourself, or yourself helping yourself make a decision based on these "uncanny" coincidences.
Things just are. They IS. Everything is connected because it is your universe and you have created it.EXAMPLE: ever learned a new word which you were completely unaware of its existence before, but once you learn it and understand it, you hear and see it "popping" up on everything? Until then, that word did not exist in your universe, so therefor you subconsciously (i hate to use that word) ignored it every time it occured.

OfflineHahzist
Surfing theWaves of Chaos

Re: Finding meaning in EVERYTHING...do you? [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #4082737 - 04/21/05 07:40 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Your lucky, I wish I was like that. I find meaning in certain things, but I wish I found meaning in everything. It's what makes experiences and stuff, I love it.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Finding meaning in EVERYTHING...do you? [Re: Hahzist]
    #4082806 - 04/21/05 08:08 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I always thought experiencing something was what made experiences and stuff....

OfflineHahzist

#4082809 - 04/21/05 08:11 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Well yah, maybe I used the wrong words there. I mean finding meaning in experiences is what makes experiences memorable and something to cherish.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Finding meaning in EVERYTHING...do you? [Re: Hahzist]
    #4082863 - 04/21/05 08:29 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

guess it is whatever way you choose to perceive it. I see things as just being, having an isness. One of my most memorable experiences is watching the life fall out of my grandmother, I didnt derive any meaning from it, she just died (physically), it was something that just WAS/IS. I think people strive for meanings they want to help reassure themselves of their worth or point. Kind of like someone stranded in a row boat, in the middle of the ocean, surrounded by water, dying of thirst, trying to create or find the right kind of water to suit their survival.

OfflineCeeThruMeer
Aztek GoatBecoming Eagle

Loc: BC, Canada
    #4082880 - 04/21/05 08:34 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I as well either seek out, or have meaning seek me out in many instances.

Most often this is observing or realizing the synchronicity of existence that goes undetected by most. Whether it is a delusion in my mind, or the way the world actually works, is not too important to me. Since I detect it, and it is real to me, I believe that it influences my life, and that it exists as I see it... and as was said before, it definitely makes life more interesting!

I think experiencing life this way is more common among (psychedelic) drug users, especially the philosophically and/or spiritually in tune. Although I know for sure that many "sober" people also find the meaning in everything.

I definitely believe it is there, and that it is an insight into the essence of existence... if we understood existence, not only would we realize that EVERY SINGLE aspect of EVERYTHING contains this vast meaning, but we would also constantly experience the divine connection of everything... (as well as (the possibility of) many other things that I have not perceived, or conceived). However, if we were to reach this state, and experience life in this way, then we would be perceiving through God's (Nature's) "eyes"... And as I believe humans will never fully understand Nature (God) than this small insight of synchronicity and significance is good enough for me  :stoned:

All of this.... or... Nihilism.... hmm... which is it? :tongue:  :laugh:

p.s. Apologies for the not-so-well thought out post, which was interrupted a couple of times.

--------------------
"my old friend told me
to do well always
set your sails, open
ride your waves, flowing
just relax, sober
leave you past, it's over
bind two hands, stronger
my soul waits, forward" - Arjun and Guardians

Edited by CeeThruMeer (04/21/05 08:39 PM)

OfflineHahzist

#4082943 - 04/21/05 08:53 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

guess it is whatever way you choose to perceive it. I see things as just being, having an isness. One of my most memorable experiences is watching the life fall out of my grandmother, I didnt derive any meaning from it, she just died (physically), it was something that just WAS/IS. I think people strive for meanings they want to help reassure themselves of their worth or point. Kind of like someone stranded in a row boat, in the middle of the ocean, surrounded by water, dying of thirst, trying to create or find the right kind of water to suit their survival.

Im not sure what it is. And I think meaning is actually the wrong word. For example, a memorable experience for me that I will always cherish, is the first time I did shrooms. It was incredible. The way my mind was altered was so unexpected and it ended up being a lot of fun in that sense. Its not like I found the meaning of life in that experience and thats why I cherish it. It was just really interesting and fun.

So uhh I guess I agree with you then. Things just are :P

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4083115 - 04/21/05 09:50 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Did you just hit quick reply? I agreed with you where you where you talked about when one becomes aware of something it starts poppin up ever where. That what I was talking about with the pattern recognition overlay stuff.

I highly doubt Ellemysh is schizo. To imply she is would be the same as saying anyone who finds life meaningful is. An there is nothing wrong with that either. It's what gets people through the day and keeps them from putting a gun to their heads.

I definitely appreciate the convos that go on here raising awareness on how life has no objective inherent meaning other then what we give it and how its relative.

Even this board can't agree on a universal meaning to life or an event.

Maybe Markos can share more on what he knows about recognizing synchronicities not being a sign you are going schizo but just are becoming more aware in longer states of cognition to be able to recognize patterns and connections.

Look at Brilliant mathematicians and musicians. They are extraordinary at it.

All that is probably some of what you meant about it not necessarily being a negative thing.

Life can become more vivid, creative and energized as meaning is added to it. It can be a great motivator for great things to be accomplished, relatively speaking.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (04/21/05 09:53 PM)

Offlinesoulmotion
Professor
 User Gallery

Loc: Jumanji
Re: Finding meaning in EVERYTHING...do you? [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4083777 - 04/22/05 01:52 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Offlinewjames
Phenomenologist

Loc: Europe
    #4083833 - 04/22/05 02:18 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

EllemyshShade said:
I seem to be constantly finding meaning in every little stinking thing that happens to me. I don't even look for it...it finds me...
You?

Short answer: Yes. There seem to be two types. One are unambiguous, uncanny Synchronicities. I view these more or less in the Jungian sense--messages from the larger unconscious or larger Self.

The second are what one might term "associational meanings." These I'm more suspicious of. Due to the marvelous complexity of the brain, one can connect just about any two events, thoughts, or ideas with one or two associations. Paranoia's a great example of this--if you are so inclined, you can find reason to be paranoid in any situation.

But I think the the Synchronicities are the most important things. The more you are aware of them the more they seem to happen. Another way to look at them is that life is indeed "magical" and nonrational, and that God is taking care of you every step of the way in all kinds of ways.

--------------------
"We're all in this consciousness-raising business together."
"An idle mind is the devil's workshop."
"Everyone should eat hashish, but only once." - S. Dali

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale