Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekatatonia
Fungirl
 User Gallery
Loc: GA
permission to hunt?
    #4082227 - 04/21/05 07:17 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I am in SE, GA.....how difficult is it to get permission from a farmer/rancher to pick in their fields? When I lived in Jax, FL- we went all the time @ night without permission..only got shot at once in a field across from NAS Jax naval base. I'd rather not risk that again. Any suggestions?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
Re: permission to hunt? [Re: katatonia]
    #4082283 - 04/21/05 07:33 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Do a search in this forum. This topic has been brought up countless times already.

Offlinekatatonia
Fungirl
 User Gallery
Loc: GA
Re: permission to hunt? [Re: Gumby]
    #4082337 - 04/21/05 07:50 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you!

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #4082904 - 04/21/05 10:40 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Look for pastures that have a pond on the premises. If there is, you got a god chance of the farmer letting you fish in it if you ask nicely. Also, look for a small box near the gate with a sign above it. Most times, this is a pay pond and for a few bucks, you can 'fish' in the pond. My spot is only two bucks per person. I just walk around fishing and looking for shroomies.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Invisibleshroomr4life
Re: permission to hunt? [Re: Ekstaza]
    #4671968 - 09/17/05 12:56 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Thats the coolest thing i've ever heard of. I wish i had places like that around where i live. Fishing kicks ass! dunno if i could handle it while grillin though. That'd be a task.

OfflineMr_Psilocin
finding moreactives thanever
 User Gallery

Re: permission to hunt? [Re: shroomr4life]
    #4672835 - 09/17/05 04:13 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Well I REALLY need help!!Can someone post some stuff to say to the farmer?So I can get those libs I've been drooling about?PLEASE post some suggestions(and plz don't tell me to tell the guy that I'm a biology student from some university)

--------------------
"I experimented with marijuana a time or two, and I didn't like it. I didn't inhale, and never tried it again." Bill Clinton

"A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly fifteen hundred pounds of marijuana within about 15 minutes to induce a lethal response... In strict medical terms, marijuana is far safer than many of the foods we commonly consume. For example, eating ten raw potatoes can result in a toxic response. By comparison, it is physically impossible to eat enough marijuana to induce death."

DEA Administrative Law Judge Francis L. Young
Opinion and Recommended Ruling, Findings of Fact,

http://www.hempfiles.com/php/quotes.php

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
    #4673227 - 09/17/05 09:30 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, it is cool when a farmer lets people on his property to fish (and stuff). Unfortunately, alot of farmers won't let anybody on b/c of damage that's been done or stolen property. So, please respect a person's property, it's the right thing to do.
Mr. P, I gave the best advice I know, which is to be honest. Farmers are generally friendly people, but getting to know him a little helps your chances (once he knows who you are and knows you won't hurt or steal). You could just go knock on his door and ask if you could look around in his field. Mycology is your hobby, you love finding those delectable morsels, let him know that you know what you're doing, offer to share your finds. Also, keep a mixed bag.
It's just like Gumby said, do a search and you'll find these things discussed in detail.

GL

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

InvisibleVirgilKane
Miner for truth and delusion
 User Gallery

Loc: lowdown
Re: permission to hunt? [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4673902 - 09/17/05 01:50 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

One thing that always helped me with getting permission to hunt on someones property was to help them do something if you're driving by and see them doing something. I'm not talking about bailing a field of hay or anything, but fixing a fence or a tire or something, especially if they are doing in alone.

It's a great way to introduce yourself and garner respect.

--------------------
Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense...

"Religion is a defense against a religious experience"
              Carl G. Jung

"So really, ordinary reality is a kind of chemical habit, sanctioned by culture, which says it's okay to use certain drugs, eat certain foods, and have certain sexual behaviors. However, when you transcend all this pre-conditioning by returning to the original wisdom of the animal body, then you discover this immense dimension of opportunity. For some people, it is a frightening risk. To me, that's the psychedelic experience."
Terence McKenna

OfflineMr_Psilocin
 User Gallery

Re: permission to hunt? [Re: VirgilKane]
    #4674110 - 09/17/05 03:05 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Hmm...I don't really know my mushroom edibles only my hallucinative ones so I wouldn't know which ones to pick off his land,besides what kind of edibles grow in manure?Or next to manure like semilanceata?

--------------------
"I experimented with marijuana a time or two, and I didn't like it. I didn't inhale, and never tried it again." Bill Clinton

"A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly fifteen hundred pounds of marijuana within about 15 minutes to induce a lethal response... In strict medical terms, marijuana is far safer than many of the foods we commonly consume. For example, eating ten raw potatoes can result in a toxic response. By comparison, it is physically impossible to eat enough marijuana to induce death."

InvisibleFLLEWISFL
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: permission to hunt? [Re: Mr_Psilocin]
    #4674477 - 09/17/05 05:19 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

<<<<<<<<<""Yeah, it is cool when a farmer lets people on his property to fish (and stuff). Unfortunately, alot of farmers won't let anybody on b/c of damage that's been done or stolen property. So, please respect a person's property, it's the right thing to do.
Mr. P, I gave the best advice I know, which is to be honest. Farmers are generally friendly people, but getting to know him a little helps your chances (once he knows who you are and knows you won't hurt or steal). You could just go knock on his door and ask if you could look around in his field. Mycology is your hobby, you love finding those delectable morsels, let him know that you know what you're doing, offer to share your finds. Also, keep a mixed bag.
It's just like Gumby said, do a search and you'll find these things discussed in detail."">>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I agree on what u said EXPECT a BIG part... I really would try never to mention u know much about mycology or that you study it or anything like that.. Lets say u got caught and u said u didnt know these were psyedlic shrooms or w/e it just goes to show u originally said u had knowledge of mushrooms. But keeping a mixed bag is a smart thing to do. Agreed?

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: permission to hunt? [Re: FLLEWISFL]
    #4675076 - 09/17/05 08:53 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Hmmm, good point Mr. P. But, I've always found that when I use latin terms, I loose him. I like to talk about Ganoderma lucidum and G tsugae.
And, on that note, they are very hard to differentiate, so, I need to collect them for further evaluation.
Usually, I can find reishi, edible boletes, agaricus, chicken of the woods, blah, blah, on the edge of the woods.
I also like to add that I am after a species that has still eluded me, the much sought after morel.
But what I am talking about here is just like schapper said :thumbup:
The rest is just planned just in case ; )
IME, most people would rather just skip the jargon than to hear you go on about something they care nothing about. I've always felt like they know exactly what I'm up to (or think they do) anyway, and just give a "sure n/p" or a "No." right away.
I've always tried to talk about them, but nobody seems to listen and I think they've either had tresspassers, or they'd rather just turn a blind eye to what I'm doin, just as long as I respect the property.
Yeah, so, anyway, I would prefer to see him out doing something where I could open a conversation by asking "What're ya up to, can I help?...Blah, blah, blah... I am looking for areas to pursue my hobby..."
That's honest and straight forward, he's bound to repect ya for it and it sure beats getting charged or shot at.

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: permission to hunt? [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4675650 - 09/18/05 12:04 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

LouiseLouise said:
Yeah, it is cool when a farmer lets people on his property to fish (and stuff). Unfortunately, alot of farmers won't let anybody on b/c of damage that's been done or stolen property. So, please respect a person's property, it's the right thing to do.

Yeah, for sure. The farmer that owns the ponds that I fish in has a few trash barrels placed around the ponds. When I go out I find trash laying all around where other fishers just throw beer bottles on the ground and bait buckets. One time when I was cleaning up some of this shit, the farmer came by and saw what I was doing. He stopped to talk to me and I told him that I just want to help keep his place open for people to come to fish. I explained that if I was him and kept finding a big mess laying around my feild that I would eventually stop letting people fish. He told me that if he ever does close his fields to fishing that I could still come any time I wanted. Helping out sure helped me out. :cool: :mushroom2: :wink:

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineMr_Psilocin
 User Gallery

Re: permission to hunt? [Re: Ekstaza]
    #4676215 - 09/18/05 02:19 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

IME, most people would rather just skip the jargon than to hear you go on about something they care nothing about. I've always felt like they know exactly what I'm up to (or think they do) anyway, and just give a "sure n/p" or a "No." right away.

What do you mean by that?Give a "sure n/p" or "No." to what qeustion?
PS:I really thank you for helping me out!But can you maybe list some more latin names for me so that I can tell him my scientific story so that he'll get bored and just let me go in?PLZ lol  :smile: :mushroom2: :thumbup: :thumbup: :heart:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification