Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTorey
consciousparadox

Loc: somewhere over the rainbo...
BBC News: "US church's illegal tea [Ayahuasca] faces ban"
    #4079408 - 04/20/05 10:54 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4458873.stm

US church's illegal tea faces ban

Believers in the religion say the tea is sacred
The Supreme Court is to consider whether a US branch of a Brazilian religion can import an hallucinogenic tea used as a sacrament.

An appeals court ruled the sacramental use of the tea cannot be banned because of a 1993 religious freedom law.

The hoasca tea which comes from the Amazon contains an illegal substance that can pose health hazards.

But adherents of the O Centro Espirita Beneficiente Uniao do Vegetal religion say the tea connects them to God.

'Mind-altering' substance

Founded in Brazil in 1961, the religion is a mix of Christian and indigenous South American beliefs.

It has about 8,000 followers in Brazil and since 1993, around 130 in the US, centred around a branch in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

In 1999, US customs officials seized a shipment of three drums labelled "tea extract" sent from Brazil to the US branch.

The ... decision has mandated that the federal government open the nation's borders to the importation, circulation and usage of a mind-altering hallucinogen

Paul Clement, Justice Department

Thirty gallons (136 litres) of the tea was also taken from the home of Jeffrey Bronfman, the head of the church's American chapter.

The tea contains dimethyltryptamine, or DMT, which the government says is unsafe for use, even under medical supervision.

But lawyers for the group cited experts who maintain sacramental use of the tea causes no harm.

They called for an injunction to prevent the authorities from impounding the tea and to allow its importation and use in church services.

The Justice Department called for a Supreme Court review after the government lost an appeal.

"The ... decision has mandated that the federal government open the nation's borders to the importation, circulation and usage of a mind-altering hallucinogen," acting Solicitor General Paul Clement of the Justice Department said.

The Supreme Court will hear the case and announce a decision during its next term which starts in October.

--------------------
peace and love!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: BBC News: "US church's illegal tea [Ayahuasca] faces ban" [Re: Torey]
    #4079461 - 04/20/05 11:06 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

the only real thing thats dangerous about that drink is the fact it contains a MAOI and could kill you if you have a hobby of chugging lard.

Offlinewhatever123
Whatever I did, I'm sorry
Male User Gallery

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: BBC News: "US church's illegal tea [Ayahuasca] faces ban" [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4079485 - 04/20/05 11:12 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I wish the government would accept my religeon. Pothedeism. we smoke pot and take shrooms and acid. So far, they have not gotten back to me on whether my religeon is acceptable

--------------------
Koala Koolio said:
there should be a 3 month waiting period between registration and posting. :wink:

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: BBC News: "US church's illegal tea [Ayahuasca] faces ban" [Re: whatever123]
    #4079870 - 04/21/05 01:13 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i challenge the judge to taste it

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: BBC News: "US church's illegal tea [Ayahuasca] faces ban" [Re: fresh313]
    #4080124 - 04/21/05 05:39 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

fresh313 said:
i challenge the judge to taste it

~
that's what the guv'mint did in brazil...
"no problem here folks... move along..."
~
& now for our big cheese:
"okeydokey, dubya --- a nice chalice of tea, & a big puke bucket just for you... do you wanna sing or dance, or just surf the trance, mmmm?"

:wink:

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Edited by gnrm23 (04/21/05 05:46 AM)

OfflineAbermelin
Gnome Hat

Loc: In The Mycelial Network
Re: BBC News: "US church's illegal tea [Ayahuasca] faces ban" [Re: gnrm23]
    #4080485 - 04/21/05 09:15 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

whats that "do whatever the fuck you feel like" religion? thats hedonism right? no rules. i wonder why that isnt exempt from drug laws.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: BBC News: "US church's illegal tea [Ayahuasca] faces ban" [Re: Abermelin]
    #4080515 - 04/21/05 09:25 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I think thats more a philosophical choice of way to live your life. Not really a religion, per se.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: BBC News: "US church's illegal tea [Ayahuasca] faces ban" [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #4080727 - 04/21/05 10:28 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The sad thing is, the only reason why this case is even in court is because the defendant is a heir to the Seagrams (alcohol/gingerale) company. Its really awful how the only way to have any legal rights or to make change is through wealth. Otherwise, the ban would have gone through without a challenge.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: BBC News: "US church's illegal tea [Ayahuasca] faces ban" [Re: Torey]
    #4081174 - 04/21/05 12:38 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

this is unbelievable!
for me the sad thing is that people always see the drugs or plants as harmful, addictive and narcotic substances, which clearly is not the case of the entheogens, pretty much the opposite...
it worked in brazil... invite the judge to hallucinate on it!

FH

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: BBC News: "US church's illegal tea [Ayahuasca] faces ban" [Re: felixhigh]
    #4081693 - 04/21/05 03:06 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Isn't it true that DMT is produced in the human body? It peaks at birth and death, it goes slowly down from birth until the moment of death.

Couldn't the Court strike down a broad law banning DMT is all its forms? I mean, technically, the human brain would be illegal. And that if they actually enforced the law as it could be broadly interpreted, then that would be illegal. It would be a notable compromise, something that the Court is known for doing. As well as dodging the real issue (controlled substances in religions).

Edited by YidakiMan (04/21/05 03:07 PM)

OfflineLiveByFreedom
Catalyst
 User Gallery

Loc: Mountains
Re: BBC News: "US church's illegal tea [Ayahuasca] faces ban" [Re: YidakiMan]
    #4081705 - 04/21/05 03:12 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, it's true that we are all carrying a Schedule 1 substance around. A few people know this (not near enough). I don't think it would hold in court..

--------------------
"Everything is not as it seems." Eye

Invisibleoneducktwoducks
Re: BBC News: "US church's illegal tea [Ayahuasca] faces ban" *DELETED* [Re: LiveByFreedom]
    #4081756 - 04/21/05 03:23 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by oneducktwoducks

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineLiveByFreedom
Catalyst
 User Gallery

Loc: Mountains
Re: BBC News: "US church's illegal tea [Ayahuasca] faces ban" [Re: oneducktwoducks]
    #4081806 - 04/21/05 03:35 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

You're right, that is just a theory, that DMT is released from the pineal gland into the brain during birth and death, made by Dr. Straussman. It is proven that the pineal gland produces DMT though.

--------------------
"Everything is not as it seems." Eye

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom