Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGrok
Has Been a Bad Boy
 User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Spawning MOSTLY colonized grain?
    #3100274 - 09/06/04 06:56 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Someone has some myco bags they innocd a few weeks ago, which are about 85-90% done but seem to have stalled. Havn't grown very much at all in the last few days compared to how they were. They also have some bags of pasturized poo/straw which are going to be spawned with the mycobags. Can they just use the colonized grain to spawn, or should I wait until both mycobags are totally colonized (however long that will take). I know patience is k3y here but these bags were going very quickly and stopped. It would also be nice to get the bags spawned sooner. Thanks for your help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Spawning MOSTLY colonized grain? [Re: Grok]
    #3100391 - 09/06/04 07:19 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

most will say to wait, but ive personally done this with no problems.  i did throw up a prayer though...and god always hooks me up :heart: .  so i mean, do what you feel is right.  as long as most of the grain is colonized, the uncolonized will colonize very fast after birthed.  but just keep in mind that you are at high risk of contamination.

OfflineTinTree
thread killer(semi pro)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mu
    #3101007 - 09/06/04 09:37 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I, too, have done this. Do a 12-24 hour 1:50 bleach:water dunk just after birthing, and it should colonize the rest no problem :laugh:.

--------------------
"I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery."
- Aldous Huxley

Offlinecurious4
    #3101422 - 09/06/04 11:04 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

if you gonna birth either way and are really concerned couldn't you remove the uncolonized part?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Spawning MOSTLY colonized grain? [Re: curious4]
    #3104082 - 09/07/04 04:01 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I've done it with jars with poor water content. Bottom half inch wouldnt go so I just didnt take any of that. Works but you gotta case in a sterile environment.

But yah, most say to wait :smile:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Spawning MOSTLY colonized grain? [Re: ]
    #3104097 - 09/07/04 04:04 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Kottonmouth said:
most will say to wait, but ive personally done this with no problems.  i did throw up a prayer though...and god always hooks me up :heart: .  so i mean, do what you feel is right.  as long as most of the grain is colonized, the uncolonized will colonize very fast after birthed.  but just keep in mind that you are at high risk of contamination.

a prayer never hurts.. and that is kramers best advice :crazy2: :thumbup: :eek:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Re: Spawning MOSTLY colonized grain? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4079576 - 04/20/05 11:26 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
I've done it with jars with poor water content. Bottom half inch wouldnt go so I just didnt take any of that. Works but you gotta case in a sterile environment.

But yah, most say to wait :smile:

Sorry to bump this.  Scatmanrav, I have a couple of grain jars with nice rhizo growth but toward the base it looks like my water content got to high or whatever...essentially these grains are uncolonized.  How would one go about separating the good colonized grain for spawning from the uncolonized grain?  I'm assuming I could just spoon out hunks of colonized grain into a sterile bowl until there's a small layer of colonized grain around the uncolonized patch and just leave this all in the jar, then move onto the next jar.  Would this work? 
And would all of this have to be done in a glovebox?  I normally just spawn grain in the open air--if it's fully colonized--and I'm talking about only removing colonized grains from the jars and leaving the uncolonized grains in the jars for clean-up after spawning the good stuff to a compost substrate. 

Would this work? 
Thanks! :grin:

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Spawning MOSTLY colonized grain? [Re: GnuBobo]
    #4080636 - 04/21/05 09:54 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

>I'm assuming I could just spoon out hunks of colonized grain into a sterile bowl until there's a small layer of colonized grain around the uncolonized patch and just leave this all in the jar, then move onto the next jar. Would this work?

Yes

>And would all of this have to be done in a glovebox? I normally just spawn grain in the open air--if it's fully colonized

I'm unsure. I would say yes...but I never spawn in an unsterile environment (turn my bathroom into a walk in glove box basically and do it open air in there, I can do agar work open air in there though) so you should try for a glovebox if its really important to you that it succeeds.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
Re: Spawning MOSTLY colonized grain? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4080706 - 04/21/05 10:20 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I do all of my work in open air but i run my HEPA filter 24/7.i litterally haven't turned it off since i bought it.

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Re: Spawning MOSTLY colonized grain? [Re: thenewguy05]
    #4081015 - 04/21/05 11:46 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Right on then. Thankee guys!

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag