Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblemoog
Stranger

a sheltered, spoiled generation
    #4074962 - 04/20/05 12:28 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

That is my generation, and the one after, and a couple before it too. I'm 22 years old and have never worked a full-time job. A hundred years ago it would be typical for someone eight years younger than me to be working at a job full time, to help support his family, which may have included even a wife. It was not uncommon, to have a job at 14, a spouse at 16, and children at 18. A couple hundred years ago, before all the technological conveniences of the modern world, a lot more people had harsh lives to live, with a lot of work to do just to survive. But, people back then also learned things through experience at a young age. "Children" learned responsibility at a young age. I'm talking 13,14,15 year olds. Of course, these aren't children. But modern society has labeled them as such. In today's politically correct world, everything is black and white. If you're not an adult, you must be a child. Ah but have we forgotten about that gray area, that period of limbo called adolescence?

These days, adolescents spend their time in school, memorizing a lot of useless facts, being indoctrinated by a school system that values conformity over reasoning, courage, and responsibility. They won't learn responsibility until it's forced upon them years later, by the bitter strangeness of the outside world, when everything they learned in school suddenly means nothing. There are no more 13 year olds piloting ships for the British navy. Most 13 year olds don't even know the first thing about piloting a ship. They're pretty handy with a Playstation controller though. What has become of these youths? Are they anything other than spoiled brats? Most adolescents in the Western world have it pretty well off. No wonder society has become what it is. We treat 15 year olds like 5 year olds. We've extended childhood into adolescence and adolescence into our early 20s. How are teenagers supposed to learn responsibility when they're so sheltered and spoiled, and even encouraged to act like children?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: a sheltered, spoiled generation [Re: moog]
    #4075016 - 04/20/05 12:46 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

What has become of these youths?

--- It isn't their fault, it's a result of being born in a society that values leisure time; we are rich, and technologically advanced enough, to waste time, where in the past, they weren't afforded that luxury.

Are they anything other than spoiled brats?

--- Are you? Very stupid to apply such a broad based discussion to a very narrow, specific age group. :shrug: I wouldn't consider most spoiled, but I would suggest that a large portion of the youth (from all backgrounds) lacks discipline, integrity, honesty (values), an open mind, as well as common sense. (among other things)

How are teenagers supposed to learn responsibility when they're so sheltered and spoiled, and even encouraged to act like children?

--- What do you suggest we do? Take them to bootcamp, and not allow them to grow? God, I hate generalizations to the degree that you're making them, perhaps narrow down the range, or specify a category. They'll all grow and develop in their own time, regardless of any constraint, and forced behavior on them, why do you suggest that we speed up the process? Note: Not that I encourage all this babysitting bullshit disillusionment but...

If they choose to believe it, allow them to for the time being, and allow them to grow as individuals, if you don't like their attitude express it to them... Besides, from what I've seen in life, the young wish to be old too soon, and the old always wish to be young... allow them to find their mentality on their own without enforcing yours.

*I'm 20 years old by the way, so I know exactly what you're talking about*

If you want to blame societies ills on a specific age group, blame it on the older generation, they've been here longer, and haven't deemed a change necessary, and hence give an allowance in way of what actions/beliefs/behaviors are permitted. You can focus that even further into specific branches that perpetuate the notions that you find distasteful (media, tv, news, record companies, sony, etc...), all the behavior brought about is inspired by an older age group to earn an easy buck on those that are impressionable enough to buy into it (in terms of popular culture and the like that further promotes the attitudes you speak about).

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #4075561 - 04/20/05 03:31 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

There are no more 13 year olds piloting ships for the British navy. Most 13 year olds don't even know the first thing about piloting a ship.

For shame! First things first, every child should be sent to a forced labour camp and taught to pilot ships! Secondly, ships for everyone to pilot!

Quick question: If youths in our society are so flawed and incapable of responsibility, how come we're the richest, most powerful society around?

I read an article this weekend about how the generation that is currently in its early 20's is in fact one of the most self-assured and confident to date. They are far more likely to speak confidently in social situations, even with older people around, and often firmly believe in their own abilities. While this doesn't directly contradict your assumptions, it certainly doesn't fit your model.

On that note, how exactly SHOULD we be teaching kids to be free thinkers? The education systems have been attempting to reform themselves in this direction for probably around 100 years, to varying degrees of success, but it's not exactly a clear cut, easy thing to do. As someone who obviously knows EXACTLY what's wrong with the school system, why don't you explain how things could be done differently? It seems to me that this would be far more productive than complaining.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Offlinecrackwhorebob
assistant bitch

Re: a sheltered, spoiled generation [Re: Phluck]
    #4075795 - 04/20/05 05:45 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Yes most definitely.  I am having to concur with phluck on his point of view but I do recognize the ills of our generation.  The poor state of education in my particular state leads me to connect with you.  Its almost as if my state is embracing poverty and menial labor jobs with a vengance to propitiate the blue collar way of life.  I don't know how things can be fixed but I can bitch about it :smile: The primarily urban states need to overide my bullshit state and mandate some federal laws on education. I am very patriotic but hate this country.  It is in dire need of reform.

--------------------
I am the American dream.

Edited by crackwhorebob (04/20/05 05:46 AM)

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: a sheltered, spoiled generation [Re: crackwhorebob]
    #4075801 - 04/20/05 05:47 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Reform? Oh, like the patriot act. :smile:

(reform in what respect, let's drag this out a bit)

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
-Substance over Style.

Offlinewjames
Phenomenologist

Loc: Europe
    #4075844 - 04/20/05 06:16 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

moog said:
That is my generation, and the one after, and a couple before it too.

I think you're right. My generation (baby-boomers) had a lot to do with it. As a group they are totally spoiled and lazy. I spend an inordinate amount of time apologizing for them. Among other things, they've managed to turn universities into playgrounds.

I don't really blame them, of course, in the sense of being angry. It's just happened as part of the evolution of our planet.

In any case, to help compensate for their errors, let me offer two pieces of advice (for indeed it is a true prerogative of the old to give unsolicited advice):

1. Read from the great works of literature and philosophy.
Here is the excellent list from St. John's College:
http://www.stjohnscollege.edu/asp/main.aspx?page=1302&parent=1003

2. If you already have a religion, try to look for its good
points instead of its flaws.

3. Monitor the garbage that you let into your own mind, e.g.,
television, movies, music, video games.

--------------------
"We're all in this consciousness-raising business together."
"An idle mind is the devil's workshop."
"Everyone should eat hashish, but only once." - S. Dali

Edited by wjames (04/20/05 06:17 AM)

Offlinecrackwhorebob
assistant bitch

Re: a sheltered, spoiled generation [Re: wjames]
    #4075854 - 04/20/05 06:29 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Yea I knew someone would throw that out on the table.  That is time of war insanity law.  It was expected after the attacks.  The government is always good about ignoring existing laws and instituting more to cover its ass.  I hate the law in this country.  California weed situation that I derive a considerable amount of humor from :smile:

--------------------
I am the American dream.

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: a sheltered, spoiled generation [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4076128 - 04/20/05 10:06 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

"What do you suggest we do? Take them to bootcamp, and not allow them to grow?"

No, that's exactly the opposite of what I'm saying. Our society has extended childhood too long, by handing everything to them on a silver platter. We're not letting them grow! That's the problem. People want them to be children until they're 18 years old, and sometimes even past that. I'm not advocating forcing anything, especially something as cruel as bootcamp. What I'm advocating is teaching young people responsiblity, how to survive on their own if need be, and how to be respectful of other people. That is all. There's a serious lack of good parenting these days, in this regard.

"If you want to blame societies ills on a specific age group, blame it on the older generation, they've been here longer"

I did blame the older generations in the first sentence of the post. And herein lies the problem: the irresponsible adolescents have grown to become irresponsible adults, and the irresponsible adults have become irresponsible parents. For our age group who may become parents ourselves in 5 to 10 years, I feel it's our responsibility to correct this cycle, to teach life-skills to people at a younger age instead of hoping the TV, internet, and school system will teach them this stuff.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4076256 - 04/20/05 10:59 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I did blame the older generations in the first sentence of the post. And herein lies the problem: the irresponsible adolescents have grown to become irresponsible adults, and the irresponsible adults have become irresponsible parents. For our age group who may become parents ourselves in 5 to 10 years, I feel it's our responsibility to correct this cycle, to teach life-skills to people at a younger age instead of hoping the TV, internet, and school system will teach them this stuff.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Moog, I think this has been going on for more that a couple of generations. Each generation says it needs to fix the failures of the last and with each new generation things get a little better and a lot worse.

I think it's part of the general entropy of civilizations. America is no different. I think we hit our peak and now are on the slippery slope to ruin. :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: a sheltered, spoiled generation [Re: Icelander]
    #4076544 - 04/20/05 12:45 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Moog, I think this has been going on for more that a couple of generations. Each generation says it needs to fix the failures of the last and with each new generation things get a little better and a lot worse.

I think it's part of the general entropy of civilizations. America is no different. I think we hit our peak and now are on the slippery slope to ruin.

Keep in mind, that if you read literature from the past, people have been believing for hundreds of years that the "current generation" is corrupt and on the road to ruin. This belief is rooted in a natural facet of our psychology more than it is on an observation of reality.

We certainly are not a lazy generation, quite the opposite. Perhaps within your own social group of pot smokers there's a lot of laziness, but this hardly represents the generation as a whole.

Read: http://tinyurl.com/dn5wn

Quote:

Fine Young Cannibals
by Leah McLaren

Forty-three is not exactly ancient. But for one high-ranking Toronto publishing executive, dealing with a new crop of upstart young editorial assistants at his company's New York office was enough to make him feel like an old goat.

"Basically, they had the world by the balls, and they acted like it," he says of the rich and good-looking Ivy League graduates who streamed through his office. "They would shoot their mouths off in meetings and demand way more than they should. They felt they didn't need to work as hard as anyone else in order to get what they wanted.

"It was actually pretty astonishing for someone my age or older. It's not like I lived through the Depression or anything, but I would never have behaved the way these kids behaved."

Ladies and gentlemen, please put your hands together for Generation Fearless -- bold enough to want your job and brazen enough to go after it. Today's twentysomethings have turned out to be the cockiest in recent history.

Young people are entering the work force with an unprecedented sense of entitlement, in large part because they have grown up treated as equals. Many members of the "echo boom" -- the children of the baby boom -- belong to what U.S. writer and social observer Robert Bly has labelled the "sibling society," a world in which parents try to eradicate the generation gap by casting off their adult roles in favour of chumming around with their kids.

The result: a generation used to listened to with rapt attention at the family dinner table and very much at ease with its elders.

"There was certainly a sense of equality," Lia Jordano, 22, says of her childhood. "When I reached a certain age, my parents encouraged me to take on responsibility, and I was eager to do it. They weren't asking me every day whether I got things done.

"From the age of about 15, I was going out to bars every night until about 2 a.m. I had my reasons, and I would explain them to my parents. As long as I could prove it was just, then it was fine."

In contrast to some of their peers, Ms. Jordano and her partner, Emma Ruby Sachs, also 22, illustrate some of this brave new generation's finer qualities.

Articulate high achievers with affluent liberal parents, both come from progressive, open families who support their live-in relationship. They speak in clear, confident tones and are completely at ease sipping dirty martinis in a swank private club as they discuss belonging to perhaps the most confident generation of all time.

Ms. Ruby Sachs describes her upbringing as similarly well-grounded. "We don't have any formality in my family," she says with a laugh. "We swear at each other. I see friends of mine now who are very careful about what they say around kids, and I don't ever remember my parents doing that around me.

"From the age of 5, I was expected to show up at every dinner party and participate in the conversation and have opinions, and I did. I loved it. My opinions were respected. I was completely socially integrated with the adult group. I was loud and extremely precocious."

Now, of course, she is no shrinking violet -- and no exception to the rule. A study conducted last year by Toronto-based People Performance Inc. found that people now in their early 20s have much more self-confidence than in the past.

The most aggressive twentysomethings seem to believe, like the smug young executive played by Topher Grace in the film In Good Company, they have more to teach their elders than to learn from them. "They come in with the attitude: 'Show me what you can do for me -- right now,' " says Adwoa Buahene of People Performance.

This can drive those elders crazy. "I can't tell you how much time I spend sitting in meetings listening to these young hot shots blathering on without a clue," complains a partner at a Bay Street law firm. "I've been practising law for 30 years, but they couldn't care less what I think. They just want to hear themselves talk."

Some of this youthful cockiness may be well-founded. Many demographers consider people in their late teens and 20s the luckiest generation in recent history. Not only will they inherit the vast wealth of a rapidly aging population, they will step into the corner offices vacated when their boomer parents begin to retire in large numbers.
Cont...

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: a sheltered, spoiled generation [Re: Phluck]
    #4076589 - 04/20/05 12:58 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

We certainly are not a lazy generation, quite the opposite. Perhaps within your own social group of pot smokers there's a lot of laziness, but this hardly represents the generation as a whole.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Laziness had nothing to do with my post. We can be very busy being destructive. No the truth is that civilizations come and go and humans change very little. :mushroom2:

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4076999 - 04/20/05 02:39 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Almost no one in my social group smokes pot.  Mostly power plants in committed doses. Most are successful and well off, but that's only part of who they are. :mushroom2:

--------------------

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4077006 - 04/20/05 02:39 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Regarding what children were able and capable of and actually doing hundreds of years ago, I offer this for consideration. Back then, what was the average life span? 50 years maybe less. What were their resources and positions of survival necessities compared to now? What is the average life span now? 75ish. What are the survival resources made available to us now that weren't back then. We have water that comes out of a faucet in our own homes.

It makes sense that developmental cycles have been stretched out as well.

Can you make a young child take on adult like responsibilities? Yes. It happens all of the time even still out of necessity for the less "wealthy". And it's very stressful for the child too. Children who loose out on childhood often become developmentally warped adults. Look at Micheal Jackson. He wasn't allowed to be a kid , to do the things kids do like "play" with other kids or to be care free and screw up. He had to get it right the first time like the Osmond's or get beaten. They were piss poor and his Father wanted more for him and the family.

What has been happening with the generational shifts you are observing is that when a new generation can afford their children less responsibility to take on and less unnecessary stress that will mess them up later in life, they will. It's not necessary in many cases these days for it to be forced upon them. That is a good thing.

Kids still grow to take on massive amounts of responsibility. The only difference is now they are doing it in their mid to late 20's or even 30s instead of in their teens. They are living longer to so it all balances out. The ones who were allowed for the delay are also less like to act like children as adults. Arrested development is a fucked up thing.

My father was forced to take on a shit load of adult responsibility at a young age being the first born on a farm. He worked on the farm, often having to miss school, had to help raise his younger siblings, girls who were more "helpless" back then to work on the farm and help him. He wasn't afforded time to play, go to parties or screw up without an ass beating or hang out with Friends. The day he turned 18, he joined the air-force and got the hell out of there. The damage was done. He is such a miserable man with the emotional maturity of a 4 year old at age 67.

"Life isn't fair, I wasn't allowed to play or have fun and neither are you" is all that whines out of his grumpy mouth. He's softened a little as of late cuz I've been working him. Only as of late is he finally allowing himself "to play" and know the joy he and life is and can be.

That's not a bad thing to afford ourselves and our children.

Children can be taught responsibility without having to take on actual survival responsibilities. All that is required is developing the "I can do" attitude in them. That can be done through creative play. "I can skip school and hustle in the streets to bring food home for my family" can turn into "I can make a necklace with beads" "I can make a small scale volcano erupt fake lava." "I can make the Eiffel tower out of straws" "I can hang upside down on the monkey bars". "I can run faster and jump higher this year then last year."

And when the time comes for them, they will become "I can do adults" and take on adult responsibilities with ease. They will be a lot more mentally, physically and emotionally healthier too.

Touching on what Ice said, we have changed our way of life to afford ourselves and children more leisure. Because of it, we are also healthier and living longer as a result. Maybe the developmental cycles of the human being haven't changed much save for their just being stretched out. None the less, that in itself is a positive change for evolution.

The way I see it, the only thing still causing "problems" out there is still the result of children being forced to grow up to damn fast out of necessity and worse not even out of necessity. I'll give plenty of examples if anyone wants them.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (04/20/05 03:13 PM)

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: a sheltered, spoiled generation [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4077085 - 04/20/05 03:01 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

All good points. But responsiblity is only one aspect of what I'm talking about. What about refusing to give pornography and cigarettes to 15 year olds, on the grounds that they're "just children?" Modern society, along with extending the age of childhood, has completely disregarded the process of puberty and adolesence. Some teenagers are going to want to smoke, so why not let them have what they want? At the same time, give the teen information about the potential harms of cigarette smoking. Let them make their own informed decisions. However, in least in America, this is hardly ever done. Scare tactics are used to keep teenagers away from sex and drugs, rather than educating them on the facts surrounding the issues. When teens are denied something, they'll often go out and do it anyway. This is what I'm talking about, this sheltering of youth from things that youth are going to do anyway. It's like an unrealistic, idealistic moral crusade to keep teenagers sheltered for as long as possible.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4077139 - 04/20/05 03:19 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I share your views somewhat. It's interesting that because of phyto estrogens in the environment young girls are comming into puberty earlier. Seems things are getting pulled in two directions here. Nature vs nuture?

Any way my point about humans evolution, and entropy is not a value judgement so much as just noticing history. The human of 200 yrs ago is emotionally not too different from today it seems. Still, I believe there is a slow progression of human evolution. It's slow enough to go unnoticed within a few thousand years. :mushroom2:

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4077178 - 04/20/05 03:35 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

What's wrong with not having to fight for survival?
You can be lazy, sit around and writte poems or paint or be an amateur photographer

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4077192 - 04/20/05 03:40 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

" It matters little where we pass the remnant of our days. They will not be many. A few more moons, a few more winters, and not one of the decedents of the mighty hosts that once moved over this broad land or lived in happy homes, protected by the Great Spirit, will remain to morn over the graves of a people once more powerful and hopeful than yours. But why should I morn at the untimely fate of my people? Tribe follows tribe, nation follows nation, like the waves of the sea. It is the order of nature and regret is useless. Your time of decay may be distant, but it will surely come, for even the White Man cannot be exempted from the common destiny. We may be brothers after all. We shall see."    "chief Seattle"
                                      Duwamish Tribe :heart: :mushroom2:

--------------------

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4077238 - 04/20/05 03:53 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

moog said:
"What do you suggest we do? Take them to bootcamp, and not allow them to grow?"

1) No, that's exactly the opposite of what I'm saying. Our society has extended childhood too long, by handing everything to them on a silver platter. We're not letting them grow! That's the problem. People want them to be children until they're 18 years old, and sometimes even past that. I'm not advocating forcing anything, especially something as cruel as bootcamp. What I'm advocating is teaching young people responsiblity, how to survive on their own if need be, and how to be respectful of other people. That is all. There's a serious lack of good parenting these days, in this regard.

"If you want to blame societies ills on a specific age group, blame it on the older generation, they've been here longer"

2) I did blame the older generations in the first sentence of the post. And herein lies the problem: the irresponsible adolescents have grown to become irresponsible adults, and the irresponsible adults have become irresponsible parents. For our age group who may become parents ourselves in 5 to 10 years, I feel it's our responsibility to correct this cycle, to teach life-skills to people at a younger age instead of hoping the TV, internet, and school system will teach them this stuff.

1)  :thumbup: But, you must realize that the whole issue with the young of American culture, is that they have a deep rooted disdain for learning of any form, unless it's in line with their leisure time (overall). Programs exist for that, it's called highschool, a great bullshit environment, meant to teach socialization, as well as trivial facts of life. Their will always be those who are fuckups, regardless of anything put in place, although I agree something needs to be done, but it's not to be done by the government, it's to be done by the shithead irresponsible parents. The government is doing IMO the most that it can short of adopting the kid and raising it to such standards, theirs are many programs to support raising children, it's just that many parents turn a blind eye to their children, and raise them more like dogs in way of the lack of attention associated with their care.

2) I agree with you... but this is America, we often value some very senseless activities, and a general waste of time (the young of the nation anyhow)... It hasn't changed in a long while, it's merely gained more prominance, it'll either work, or it'll kill itself off, either way; it'll sort itself out, so don't be too concerned. Their really isn't much that can be done without enforicing attitudes/mentalities on them.... people are people, live with it, as it occurs under any system.... I do mean every system, look to the youth of other cultures, they are just as profoundly ignorant with their actions, and irresponsible as our own (as some of our own rather).

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4077319 - 04/20/05 04:22 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Now you are talking about the sheltering and not the spoiling. I agree with your last post about how the sheltering is poorly handled. It does fall under the category of the necessary and unnecessary force upon children I talked about.

The laws are NOT necessary because we have the information to teach kids about the the harmful effects of smoking and unprotected sex (disease and unwanted pregnancy not to mention  the lack of emotional maturity to handle some sexual situations or pressures) and can empower them with information to make their own choices to learn and grow in experience from.

The laws have been deemed necessary because many ignoramus parents and schools are simply NOT FREAKING INFORMING the children to help them make better choices for themselves with. All that aside, kids are bound to make poor choices because A) They were raised not to give a crap about themselves and others and B) think they are invincible in their teen years. I thought I was. I use to drive home so freaking drunk from places I don't even remember driving. Drunk driving accidents happen to other people Not ME. I am invincible. (I never was in one but easily and stupidly could have been 1,000 times over.)

Weather the laws are there or not, like you said, kids are going to do stuff anyway. All we can do, laws or not, is inform them with all we know, as squeamish as some topics may be and talk WITH them not at them and realize that is is natural for them to want to explore their world and be understanding and supportive of that. Knowledge is power and we can empower the kids by sharing with them everything we have come to learn and know.

I agree with you in that we need more honest and open talk and less taboo in the closets. :thumbup:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (04/20/05 04:24 PM)

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: a sheltered, spoiled generation [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4077336 - 04/20/05 04:26 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

*Whether*

:thumbup: good post.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology