Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
Delicious!
    #4071418 - 04/19/05 02:12 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

This is the first time I've ever cooked my own mushrooms; (actually, it's the first time I've cooked any mushrooms by myself.)  They taste great!  I just saut?ed them with garlic olive oil, powdered garlic, hot pepper, lemon pepper, salt, and a pinch of parsley and basil.  The sort of half-crispy/half-chewy consistency combines with the rich, full flavor to make my tastebuds want to get up and dance!  :tongue2:  As a vegetarian, it's always great to find new, good-tasting food.

Here's some pics:
Before...

and after!

Thanks to SHEIKofSHIITAKE

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineOwl
Stranger
Loc: Netherlands
Re: Delicious! [Re: Land_Crab]
    #4071598 - 04/19/05 04:46 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup:

Those look very tasty :crazy2:

Very nice pics too..

Offlinewideweb
fungisist
 User Gallery

Re: Delicious! [Re: Owl]
    #4073056 - 04/19/05 02:20 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Good job! please share with us what oysters are these, what substrate etc.

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Delicious! [Re: wideweb]
    #4074780 - 04/19/05 09:43 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Since this is just a side-project, I ordered a bag of pre-colonized substrate from Fungi Perfecti (Stamets' business) to make things easy. These are pearl oyster mushrooms. Embarrassingly, I'm not exactly sure of what the substrate was comprised of to begin with, because there is no description of it anywhere I checked, and I can't tell by looking at it. The only thing I'm certain of is that it contains straw.

The substrate bag came with a humidity tent (plastic bag with holes) in which I placed the mycoblock. I fruited it at room temperature (68-72 degrees). I misted the mycoblock 3-4 times a day, and it was ready for picking in about 9 days. It was really easy. I did notice that few, if any, mushrooms emerged through the pre-punched holes in the mycobag. This was easily remedied by cutting slits above and around the "trapped" primordia/mushrooms.

The yield was a bit disappointing, as you can see from the picture. The mushrooms only emerged from one side of the bag, but they are pretty big and rather dense. They grew a little bit bigger after this photo was taken--enough for about 3 to 4 plates (cooked), so it's not all bad:

Really, I just wanted to test this kit, and sample pearl oyster mushrooms, which I've never had before. I'll probably get more advanced down the line, but the "other" kinds of mushrooms are the main focus of my attention at the moment--(though I do have some Reishi, Shiitake, and luminescent Panellus in the pipeline as we speak).

What a great hobby!

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#4074856 - 04/19/05 10:01 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

you can take the spent block now and incolulate more if you'd like...

here's a simple method.. go to your local coffee shop.. ask for some of their fresh grounds.. if they had been used that day you probably don't even need to pasteurize.. put the grounds, cooled, and the spent block into a 5 gal bucket and mix it all up... put a moist towel over the bucket with the lid on but not sealed.. wait a couple weeks.. check it every now and then and make sure the towel stays moist.. once it is fully colonized, usually in 2-3 weeks, take the towel and lid off and start misting.. you can use that humidity tent on top of the bucket.. should get some more fruits..
have fun!

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Delicious! [Re: mattymonkey]
    #4075011 - 04/19/05 10:45 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Cool, thanks for the tip, man! I think I'll try that. -Yea, I read a little bit about the oyster mushroom's ability to recycle a wide variety of waste-type substances. That's awesome. Is this characteristic unique to oysters, or are there other mushrooms that can do this?

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#4075269 - 04/19/05 11:45 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

yea its mostly an oyster thing but i hear reishi can grow on coffee grounds too...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags