Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
Just got fired.. What should I do?
    #4071835 - 04/19/05 08:39 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

This sucks really bad, but I knew it was coming.

I slept through the first part of my work yesterday and didn't call in or give any notice (because I was alseep - my alarm had been set wrong).

By the time I was fully awake and contemplating the situation, I realized they hadn't tried to call my phone to find me. So, foolishly, I decided I wouldn't call them either (I've seen the manager let people get away with this - at the very least she attempts to phone them).

This morning, I called in to work to apologize, made up a lie about where I was and why I didn't call in (I'm such a pussy that I lie through all my problems.. it's something that needs to stop), and asked if they still needed me to come in today. Turns out, they do not. I asked about the rest of the week. "Well, I don't know.." says the manager, "I don't know if I want someone that won't show up or call to be working here."

This would not surprise me had I not previously witnessed fellow employees come in late without calling on numerous occasions.

Now, I'm out of a 15 hr/wk job, which was pretty useless anyway, but hell, I don't want another "fired" on my work history - and I barely have any work history as it is.

Now, I just need to decide if I should grovel and try to get this crappy job back, or go find a new one and accept that I suck at keeping jobs. I was planning on moving out of this city very soon anyway, but this is not as soon as I'd have liked. There's a job fair in a neighboring city tomorrow afternoon that I'll go to, and a couple jobs in that same city I'd like. All my friends are there as well. Problem is, I have no place to live if I "move" there.

So my options are -

!) Grovel for the restaurant job.
!) Give that job up, go back on the search, squat on couches and hopefully find someone who needs a roommate in that town.

By the way - the reason I won't get another job in this city is because my lease is up soon, and I want to move out of here when it is. The lease has around a month left on it, so there's no point in picking up new work here and then leaving a month later. I'd much rather find a job to stay with.. it's just too bad I'm terrible at doing that.

Sorry this is so long, and if anyone can help, thanks so much!

jonnywax

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIrradiated_Feces
doomedgeneration
 User Gallery

Loc: Great White North
Re: Just got fired.. What should I do? [Re: lukeboots]
    #4071854 - 04/19/05 08:44 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Fuck it man, restuarant jobs suck and they only gave you 15 hrs a week? Jobs like that come and go, don't sweat this shit.

OfflineBloodNOil
Captain Zeep
 User Gallery
Re: Just got fired.. What should I do? [Re: Irradiated_Feces]
    #4071864 - 04/19/05 08:48 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Squat on couches, cheap motels with roaches. That's the American
dream, you know.

The more you suffer for something, the better it turns out to be... or
the more you want it in the first place

--------------------
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

#4071865 - 04/19/05 08:48 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Find a new job? :crazy:

--------------------

InvisibleDepthToTheCore
JeeBuzz
Male User Gallery
Loc: Australia brah
Re: Just got fired.. What should I do? [Re: ivi]
    #4071877 - 04/19/05 08:52 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Yeah get a new job. Different environment, give you a bit of enthusiasm and maybe that will solve your inability to hold a job if you find something you like...just my 2cents

--------------------

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music." - George Carlin

OfflineTinTree
thread killer(semi pro)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mu
    #4071882 - 04/19/05 08:56 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Well, it's not like they're going to give you a good recommendation anyway so the work history bit is kind of irrelevant.

Then again, being a mooch sucks, and money is good.

--------------------
"I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery."
- Aldous Huxley

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Re: Just got fired.. What should I do? [Re: TinTree]
    #4071892 - 04/19/05 09:02 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

TinTree said:
Well, it's not like they're going to give you a good recommendation anyway so the work history bit is kind of irrelevant.

Then again, being a mooch sucks, and money is good.

Both good points.. I've been a mooch for so long now that it's getting out of hand, which is why I really wanted to keep a job. But, since they weren't giving me as many hours as I wanted anyway I think I'm gonna get out of this crappy job. No one that works there has even worked there more than three months.

Once I call my lame-ass boss this afternoon, I'll try to end it on a good note and if it sounds like she doesn't want me at work anymore, she can suck a fat dick 'cuz I'm outta there.

Even though I've been doing it off and on for the last year, once again taking my backpack to a new city and getting wasted every night, and job searching each day doesn't sound so bad. I've even got a car to live out of until the end of May. Heh.

--------------------

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet Flag
Re: Just got fired.. What should I do? [Re: DepthToTheCore]
    #4071893 - 04/19/05 09:02 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

I'm a manager myself...and there are specific situations where someone doesn't necessarily "get away" with not calling in, but we all know that things happen. Depending on how often this happens, if you're a good worker, and how long you've been there is probably what determined this outcome.
If the job is not necessary..then just find a new one. If you need this job...just temporarily...there is a chance you can get your job back.
Try this:
Go to the boss and apologize for the situation. Let him know how important the job is to you and that you won't ever allow this to happen again. Usually that alone will get the job back...depending on how much of a hardass your boss is.
If he/she liked you to begin with...then you'll get your job back.
If not...you're screwed.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck either way.

~Desiree~

P.S.

Learn how to set your alarm clock correctly. :wink:

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Just got fired.. What should I do? [Re: TinTree]
    #4071898 - 04/19/05 09:04 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Get a new job, but more importantly, I would make a point of showing up for work and not lieing to my bosess ;-).

Trust me, you won't keep many jobs lieing to the person who employs you, and you won't keep many jobs by not going to them, lol. :-)

I'd get a new job. Find something you like. How old are you? Are you out of high school yet?

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Re: Just got fired.. What should I do? [Re: CaRnAgECaNdY]
    #4071912 - 04/19/05 09:11 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Yeah, I mean, I understand where the boss is coming from, but I really don't want this job that much anyway.

I don't want to grovel because I was planning on putting in my two weeks this week or the next one anyway, so I'd feel bad if I got my job back and then turned my back on her and quit a couple days later.

And by the way, shit like "Let him know how important the job is to you and that you won't ever allow this to happen again..." is what pisses me off about working in the first place. This job means next to nothing to me, and I would obviously allow this to happen again as it was not a pre-meditated event. Being fake one day so that I can keep on being fake for a couple more weeks.. ugh, why can't I just say "Look hoe, I know I slept in. Problem is, your ass didn't even try to call me, when all I needed was a simple phone call to wake me up from my lovely dreams of NOT serving rich cock-suckers their overpriced sandwiches all day while I get paid next to nothing. You really expected me to excitedly call in to come assist in that shit? Bitch please."

Do you know how much better both my boss and I would feel if we could let this web of politeness off of us for two seconds?

--------------------

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Re: Just got fired.. What should I do? [Re: myndreach]
    #4071918 - 04/19/05 09:13 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

myndreach said:
Get a new job, but more importantly, I would make a point of showing up for work and not lieing to my bosess ;-).

Trust me, you won't keep many jobs lieing to the person who employs you, and you won't keep many jobs by not going to them, lol. :-)

I'd get a new job. Find something you like. How old are you? Are you out of high school yet?

Heh yeah, I do need to make a point to show up and not lie about it. I know I won't keep many jobs lying to people. This was a job I only wanted until summer started anyway (and my lease was up)..

'Find something you like.' is a bit difficult when you're 19, not in college, jobs are few and far between, and all you're trying to do is pay bills.

--------------------

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet Flag
    #4071926 - 04/19/05 09:18 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

First: If you don't care...then find another job. Simple.

Second: It is not your bosses responsibilty to call you when you are running late. That is all on you.

Not all bosses are inconsiderate pricks. Some are genuinly nice. Maybe they are better off without you.

Sorry, that was my assholeness/bitchiness/boss attitude coming out.
:smirk:

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #4071931 - 04/19/05 09:20 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Sounds like you need to grow up and start showing up to work.  :rolleyes:

Since you have a history  of not being able to keep a job.....you either need to get used to begging for jobs and being a mooch.

Or change your lazy habits.

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Re: Just got fired.. What should I do? [Re: niteowl]
    #4071963 - 04/19/05 09:32 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

First off, when I say "work history," I don't mean I have a gigantic history of not showing up to work.

The only other time I've been fired is when I straight up quit a job last summer because I was moving, the job was bad, and I was in a lot of shit I won't even discuss here because it's personal and legal.

Thusly, I have not shown up to work ONCE. "Grow up and start showing up to work.." Oh please. This is the only time I've missed a day of work since I started this job. I always call, or at least try to give prior notice, if something comes up and I can't make it. I just happened to be asleep this time.

Changing my lazy habits is probably a good idea, except it wasn't my "lazy" habits that got me in trouble. It was actually the ambition to get home so I could work in the morning that got me in trouble. I drove home fairly late from a different city on Sunday just so I could be home and have time to shower/not drive an hour in the morning. Turns out that drive crapped me out a bit too much and I missed the shift.

And Des, I understand that as a manager, you'd be pissed when this happens. And I know it's not their responsibility to call me - and I wouldn't even pull that card - IF I hadn't seen her call others who don't come in MULTIPLE TIMES, and even when they don't answer (or finally do answer with "Oh.. I'm sorry") they don't get threatened with being fired. If I had called in this morning and she'd said "Yeah, we don't need you to come in today. We'll have a talk at work about this.." I'd be fine. But she said: "I don't know if I want you to come in for the rest of the week.." meaning I'd be fired, and she wasn't sure if she wanted that yet. I just don't like being treated differently than other employees (though I AM the newest person there, I'm not by much) ..

Anyway I'm just rationalizing my anger in my mind now, I need to stop and just work out the problem.

--------------------

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #4072510 - 04/19/05 12:09 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

damn thats some harsh business there, best of luck to you

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #4072519 - 04/19/05 12:12 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

if you can't even figure out how to work an alarm clock
or don't have the common decency to call your employer
to honestly explain the situation, you don't have much
hope for a future beyond groveling for change at the
train station.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Re: Just got fired.. What should I do? [Re: afoaf]
    #4072552 - 04/19/05 12:20 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Shut the fuck up afoaf. I was tired as fuck on Sunday night, set the alarm to AM and not PM, an easy thing to do on my clock, and missed work.

I'm sick of you coming into people's threads and being a total jerk-off. And yup, now that it's my thread and I actually have to read the retarded shit that you come up with for "advice," I'm telling you off.

To say that I have no future beyond begging at a train station is rude and uncalled for. For your fucking information, I'm attempting to patch it up with the employer this afternoon. If I can't patch up things in this job, I'm going to the temporary agency and finding myself some new work.

But I'm not done with you: your fat ass needs to shut up and fix your own problems instead of constantly ragging on other people, as if they have some reason to live up to your idiotic expectations.

And just so you don't have to tell me to settle down, I'm not upset. Imagine me saying all this with a calm face and a smirk at the end.

--------------------

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Re: Just got fired.. What should I do? [Re: ZippoZ]
    #4072564 - 04/19/05 12:22 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Thanks zippoz, and I hope you had fun this weekend. Sorry I didn't make it to come hang out, but it was too short of notice..

I'll try to be at the summer gathering.

--------------------

OfflineIts Pat
Still kicking
 User Gallery

Loc: THAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN YOU
    #4072582 - 04/19/05 12:25 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

If you just got fired then go down to the Unemployment office and apply for unemployment!!!

--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4072742 - 04/19/05 12:57 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

I am in a similar situation now. I didnt get fired, but I need to find a decent job and a new apartment before mid June. Sometimes finding jobs that pay enough to support yourself is hard to do so I am worried. Anyone need a roommate in Chicago?

good luck man.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom