Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekrazycure
Coastal TripTech

Loc: The edge of reason
Friend ate 1g from contaminated casing, diagnosis?
    #4072438 - 04/19/05 11:50 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Around Christmas, afoaf was growing classic BRF PF tek jars as well as trying quart WBS jars for the first time. Upon harvest, people were over and whatnot to sample. BRF and WBS were harvested, most BRF were eaten fresh and enjoyed, while all the WBS went to drying chamber. However, afoaf, in addition to 2g's (20 grams fresh) of BRF, also decided to eat one gram (10 grams fresh) from the WBS casing to "sample" the new strain and new substrate potency. Casing looked fine, had one spot of green on top early on which was cut off and patched, afoaf thought nothing more of it.

15 minutes later and feeling less confident in his decision, during emptying the casing into the toilet for disposal, casing was found to have green mold infection throughout (i.e. inside and out), as well as one marble sized patch of black mold on the outer layer. Mushrooms grew relatively normally but smallish, and indeed after mold was discovered, WBS shrooms were sliced open to reveal green staining, not normal distinctive blue.

30 minutes into it the trip had obviously gone sour for afoaf, horrible pain and the like... freaking out and the whole ordeal. Unforunately he tried to be a warrior and refused to puke. Came down many hours later, still feeling shitty. Stomach problems continued for him for weeks, but he refused to go to a doctor. After a few months he start having crippling pain which would force him into a fetal position. He was hospitalized a few times because the pain was too much to bear, and diagnosed wrong because he didn't tell them anything (acid reflux). Finally after 4 months he told them , they took pictures and discovered the pieces still sitting there, and they immediately pumped his stomach.

Thing is it's still bothering him like hell. He has trouble eating, sleeping, and just generally living. I imagine it's because he waited so long and whatever he consumed had ample time to eat away his stomach lining and do tons of damage. I referred him to this link: http://www.vitacost.com/science/hn/Concern/Gastritis.htm for general tips to ease the pain.

Does anyone know what he could have ingested in 1 gram (10 grams fresh)of infected cubensis that caused these problems? Is it what's described on the link (H. pylori?) Any long term effects? Healing possible eventually? Carcinogens? Black mold that obviously came in late in the game a real worry? Anyone one with experience, 1st or 3rd person?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

Loc: .4merica
Re: Friend ate 1g from contaminated casing, diagnosis? [Re: krazycure]
    #4072454 - 04/19/05 11:55 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Jesus christ man. Black mold is some scary shit. Goddamn...

I dunno what to tell you
you could check out the Mycotoxicosis thread: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3454667/page/0/fpart/all/vc/1/nt/3

Damn.. Waiting 4 months w/ black mold inside him. Im sorry man. Sorry for your friend.

--------------------
:cussing::whip:

Offlinekrazycure
Coastal TripTech

Re: Friend ate 1g from contaminated casing, diagnosis? [Re: MycoJunkie]
    #4072478 - 04/19/05 12:02 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I've already read that entire thread, he inhaled spores, which is different than eating fruits from a contamed casing, so I don't know what you expected me to find in that link to help. He did, eventually, get better tho...

Well, like I said, it was a VERY small patch of black mold compared to the choking effect the green mold had on the casing, it was quite obvious the black mold did NOT have a good footing, nor was it deep into any kind of nutrients, it was basically just sticking to the white of the mycellium on one side. It was no bigger than than a dime in diameter. I seriously doubt much of that particular mold made it's way into the fruits. It seemed that the only reason the blackmold was able to grow there during the last few days of fruiting because of the already severely crippled immunity of the casing.

Edited by krazycure (04/19/05 12:08 PM)

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
    #4072491 - 04/19/05 12:05 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The patch of black mold seen was at the spore releasing phase. If its strong enough to reproduce, you can bet some of the mycelium in there is black mold mycelium as well... Hope your bud gets better man..

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Offlinekrazycure
Coastal TripTech

Re: Friend ate 1g from contaminated casing, diagnosis? [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #4072528 - 04/19/05 12:16 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

But, proportionately, wouldn't the amount of black mold mycellium to to green/white be VERY very insignifigant? Still, Does anyone have a link to general symptoms/courses for treatment for such things? Any link giving more info on black mold and what particular (definitive) symptoms it causes?? Wouldn't the amount of toxins produced the black mold only make up a TINY percentage of what was taken up into one gram of the fruits? Even if something from the black mold was carried to the fruits, would there be a distinct difference in the pain/symptoms caused by eating them because of it's addition, or would it feel pretty much the same as eating fruits which grew only on a green contamed casing but have more profound effects later?

Edited by krazycure (04/19/05 12:24 PM)

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
    #4072575 - 04/19/05 12:23 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I am at a loss for words. when you do dumb shit you end up paying for it. does this friend eat moldy bread too??? the shit people do to get off is not worth the price he is paying.

Offlinekrazycure
Coastal TripTech

Re: Friend ate 1g from contaminated casing, diagnosis? [Re: thenewguy05]
    #4072606 - 04/19/05 12:29 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

*Sigh* He had grown PF tek jars with ease for a long time and just assumed the WBS would go the same way... if he had not already been on 2 grams of mushrooms he might have had a sound enough mind to check the casing for contams before eating it's fruits, but he just wasn't thinking that way at the time, and he had never had to do it with BRF casings until the 4th or 5th flush.

Why is everyone being so cryptic in their replies? Maybe a bit more help would be appreciated? He can't change what happened or explain why he acted like he did, now all he wants is help. I'm trying to do that for him through research and whatnot.

Offlinekrazycure
Coastal TripTech

#4072655 - 04/19/05 12:37 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Also, before this incident, he believed in the school of thought that said "Mushshrooms grow in the wild around contams, and so the fruits must always be sterile because that's where the spores are and without them it wouldn't be able to reproduce", so even if he had checked the casing before eating the fruits, he might have tried them anyway.

Is there any decent probability that this could be fatal?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract