Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejonnyjonjonjon
CrackBadger
 User Gallery

Loc: The Pharm
inoculation - problem injecting spores
    #4041523 - 04/11/05 03:09 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

:syringe: Im following a pretty simple grow guide up until now ive done everything right. The guide says to inject the spore solution in between the glass and the substrate, the problem is when i stick the needle into the jar it doesnt even nearly reach the substrate seeing as my jars are only half full. Should i just squirt the spores onto the side of the jar and let it slide down the sides or should i just drop it on top of the substrate?
I injected 2 of the jars i just let a few drips fall on top of the substrate as close to the glass as i could, should i just keep doing what im doing with the rest of the jars or inject the spores onto the glass and let it dribble down itself? :syringe:

--------------------
Mother goose said to the swan "Is that PCP your cooking?" and the swan replied "Yes, yes it is.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

Re: inoculation - problem injecting spores [Re: jonnyjonjonjon]
    #4041531 - 04/11/05 03:11 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

why is the jar half full? if ur doing PF tek that's gonna dry out likea motherfucker. dont let it get on top if its just dryverm there. if it is nutritious then that'll work. i'd spray it on the side and let it drip.

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

OfflinePhotoguy
Drunk andJobless

Loc: Drunk in Texas
    #4041535 - 04/11/05 03:13 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

Why would your jars be half full? If you don't have enough substrate I would not bother trying to grow. There probably would not be enough nutrients for mushrooms to get big anyways. Wait untill you can make jars the right way then go for it. Besides your verm layer on top would block your spores, if you have a verm layer...

--------------------
You gotta check yo' self before you wreck yo' self

B, Z, F, Burma, Cambodian, Golden Teacher, Puerto Rico, South American, Costa Rica, African

My name is Ender Wiggen and I will own you soon. Bean is my second in command, he is PC'ing jars right now.

OfflineAbermelin
Gnome Hat

Loc: In The Mycelial Network
Re: inoculation - problem injecting spores [Re: Photoguy]
    #4041540 - 04/11/05 03:16 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

get the half pint jars, the short and fat ones. i had the same problem where i didnt want to fill my pint jar all thw way cause it was overkill to have that much food in it, and my syringe needle was too short to get from the lid through the verm layer into the substrate. that, or find a syringe with a longer needle.

Offlinejonnyjonjonjon
CrackBadger
 User Gallery

Re: inoculation - problem injecting spores [Re: Photoguy]
    #4041545 - 04/11/05 03:17 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

I followed the guide exactly but i still didnt have enough to fill all the jars so i just evened them out, i used 2 2/3 cups organic brown rice flour, 8 cups vermiculite and 2 2/3 water, i mixed a teaspoon of honey into the first cup of water to give the mycellium more food.

--------------------
Mother goose said to the swan "Is that PCP your cooking?" and the swan replied "Yes, yes it is.

Offlinejonnyjonjonjon
CrackBadger
 User Gallery

#4041556 - 04/11/05 03:19 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

Ive got half pint mason jars i can take a few pictures if you want, i was gonna make a grow log but i didnt seeing as ive never tried this method before and i dont know if its gonna work or not. The substrate seems pretty healthy to me it looked and smelled like porridge when i put it in the jars.

--------------------

Offlinejamsandwich
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #4041607 - 04/11/05 03:28 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

need to be full, start over.

--------------------
8 years now! lol

Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

#4041609 - 04/11/05 03:28 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

usually those instructions aren't ending out with enough substrate. fill each jar appropriately and make extra. that's what i do (or did).

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

Offlinejonnyjonjonjon
CrackBadger
 User Gallery

Re: inoculation - problem injecting spores [Re: 4hodmt]
    #4041669 - 04/11/05 03:40 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

So if i open the jars and make sure all of them are full, then resterilize will the ratios still work or will i have to start over? I have 12 jars but to fill them all ill only have about 8.

--------------------

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
    #4041709 - 04/11/05 03:48 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

the ratio is 2:1:1 verm, water, rice flour. ill wager that your jars will dry out. the ratio isnt 4:1.3:1.3. START ALL OVER AND YOULL BE GOOD.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Offlinejonnyjonjonjon
CrackBadger
 User Gallery

Re: inoculation - problem injecting spores [Re: lemon_lw]
    #4041757 - 04/11/05 03:59 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

Im runnin low on rice flour is there any way i can continue with what ive got?

--------------------

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
    #4041778 - 04/11/05 04:05 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

jonnyjonjonjon said:
I followed the guide exactly but i still didnt have enough to fill all the jars so i just evened them out, i used 2 2/3 cups organic brown rice flour, 8 cups vermiculite and 2 2/3 water, i mixed a teaspoon of honey into the first cup of water to give the mycellium more food.

When you are making substrate you should worry about filling each jar separately. What I mean, is that you should not be looking ahead and trying to fill a certain number of jars with a given amount of substrate. Fill each jar to the appropriate level and then move on to the next one. If you run out of substrate then mix up some more. If you end up with extra then throw it out.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

Offlinejonnyjonjonjon
CrackBadger
 User Gallery

Re: inoculation - problem injecting spores [Re: PowerTrip]
    #4041830 - 04/11/05 04:17 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

Lesson learned

--------------------

Offlinejonnyjonjonjon
CrackBadger
 User Gallery

#4042053 - 04/11/05 05:02 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

I filled up as many jars as i could with what i had and resterilized them and i made a 2 verm 1 rice flour 1 water substrate for the rest of the jars theyre mostly B+ strain so ill see which substrate works best aswell i did an expiriment with the last jar i filled it with vermiculite and added water with a shitload of honey i doubt its gonna even come close to working but its worth a try.

--------------------

Offlinejonnyjonjonjon
CrackBadger
 User Gallery

#4071658 - 04/19/05 06:42 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Looks like every jar i injected with B+ strain have got contaminated all except for the ones with much more liquid in them theres green and blue mold growing all over, i have a few jars i injected with hawaiian and amazonian and theres not a bit of mold or mycellium growing, the mold started right where i dropped the spores so im guessing the syringe was contaminated. Am i right in assuming the syringe is contaminated or could it be the hawaiian and amazonian just take longer for anything to happen?

Sorry about the picture you cant see shit with the light reflecting but you can sorta see the mold growing.

--------------------

Edited by jonnyjonjonjon (04/19/05 06:51 AM)

Offlinefallingaway24
catatonic selfmedicator
    #4071759 - 04/19/05 07:57 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

im not positive and maybe someone can back me up on this but those jars do not look like BRF it looks way to clumpy, either the ratios are wrong or you didnt mix enough, in my opinion when you mix up BRF substrate it should almost look kind of fluffy when its mixed good.

Offlinejonnyjonjonjon
CrackBadger
 User Gallery

Re: inoculation - problem injecting spores [Re: fallingaway24]
    #4071872 - 04/19/05 08:50 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Yea theyre pretty lumpy the ones with more water in them are more mushy than lumpy though.

--------------------

Offlinexburn
V card
    #4071884 - 04/19/05 08:57 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

hmmm... Why didn't you get widemouth jars? I gus if you doin a casing its ok. Those are also Pints which aren't recommended for the PF tek. The myc runs outta O2 before it hits 100%. Go to the store buy some half pints and follow the tek to a T you shoud be fine.

Read this in its entirity if you still have questions ask. But this should explain everything

http://www.fungifun.org/pf/pf_en.htm

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4071887 - 04/19/05 08:59 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

They look like crumbled, colonized substrate...like, before you make a cake or whatever. That doesn't look like substrate. I think it's supposed to be all full and fluffy, with no gaps inbetween.

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
Re: inoculation - problem injecting spores [Re: myndreach]
    #4072167 - 04/19/05 10:42 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

ok #1 your substrate is too chunky. mix the substrate better and you will have better results.
#2 that shoulder on the jar is junk. let me explain. even if you did get a fully colonized cake in there how would you get it out in one piece???BUY NEW JARS!!! someone was saying use the wide mouth 1/2 pint, i have no experience with these jars but you have short needles and the jars are shorter so that seems to fit your sittuation perfectly.
#3 you seem to be trying to make more jars than you can buy filling the jars 1/2 full. just fill the jars you can and when you get more rice flour you can do more jars.
#4 when innoculating just make sure the needle tip is down far enough into the substrate (not the vermiculite), make sure you can see it up against the glass and that the spores drip down the side.
Follow these steps and you can't go wrong.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom