Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Loc: close enough to get mysel...
blue light and its effect on mycelium
    #4065643 - 04/17/05 01:34 PM (19 years, 4 days ago)

i know that during the later stages of growth light in the blue spectra is beneficial. however on my lastest batch of spawn i made too much, ran out of jars, and resorted to using a number of kitchen glasses.

one of which happens to be cobalt blue. i'm going to try my roommate's camera later as mine isnt doing much justice for comparison.

but the substrate in the blue glass is almost totally colonized at exactly two weeks. aside from the bottom, which is too thick/dark blue to really see through, the rest of it appears to be about 95% colonized. the rest of my jars are between 60-80% colonized, temps averaging 72-74 degrees. all jars received ~1cc, maybe just a little more.

is it possible the blue light is encouraging growth this early on or is it a freak coincidence?

--------------------
Under his instruction, I taped drumsticks to his head and turned him into a sort of mummy, or perhaps a caterpiller in a cocoon. He remains this way for about three hours, making bizarre noises, pretending to be a new species that must learn to walk and talk and eat, etc. And he communicates with other life forms by way of the antennae on his head. Eventually we jam a tube from a waterbong into it's mouth and figure he's learned all he needs to know.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepeaceful_gnome
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: BC
Re: blue light and its effect on mycelium [Re: starseed1066]
    #4066665 - 04/17/05 09:04 PM (19 years, 3 days ago)

using a blue container for your substrate wont give the mycelium any additional blue spectrum light, it just filters out most of the red and the green.

Offlinescrname
Stranger

Re: blue light and its effect on mycelium [Re: peaceful_gnome]
    #4066805 - 04/17/05 09:54 PM (19 years, 3 days ago)

Just a question. When you get 2 bulbs that are identical except one is blue. Wont they give off the same amount of light in the blue spectrum. I would think that the blue light lets just the blue pass and the regular one lets the same amount of blue with the other colors of the spectrum?

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Re: blue light and its effect on mycelium [Re: scrname]
    #4067068 - 04/17/05 11:21 PM (19 years, 3 days ago)

you've both hit the nail on the head. but my question is maybe there is some advantage to it only getting blue spectrum light? i guess i'll have to try it again next batch to know for sure...

--------------------
Under his instruction, I taped drumsticks to his head and turned him into a sort of mummy, or perhaps a caterpiller in a cocoon. He remains this way for about three hours, making bizarre noises, pretending to be a new species that must learn to walk and talk and eat, etc. And he communicates with other life forms by way of the antennae on his head. Eventually we jam a tube from a waterbong into it's mouth and figure he's learned all he needs to know.

Offlinepeaceful_gnome
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: BC
    #4067859 - 04/18/05 04:10 AM (19 years, 3 days ago)

i guess it would be fun to experiment.

Offlineindole
arf

#4068126 - 04/18/05 08:44 AM (19 years, 3 days ago)

i believe optimum lightnig peaks at 360nm, 440nm and 460nm ;heavy blue with a tinge of ultraviolet.

EDITED... these are the optimum light spectrums for mushroom growth...(FRUITING)

sorry i didnt know this was about myc.

allways happy to share though :smile:

Ey i saw it on this site i believe or a quotation from a book mentioned on this site. no ref sorry.

Edited by indole (04/20/05 09:52 AM)

OfflineAbermelin
Gnome Hat

Loc: In The Mycelial Network
Re: blue light and its effect on mycelium [Re: indole]
    #4068165 - 04/18/05 09:16 AM (19 years, 3 days ago)

actually optimum lighting comes from that big ball of fire in the sky.

InvisibleArsey
Stranger
Loc: location location locatio...
    #4068191 - 04/18/05 09:29 AM (19 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

peaceful_gnome said:
using a blue container for your substrate wont give the mycelium any additional blue spectrum light, it just filters out most of the red and the green.

I'd say this is about the most sensible & scientifically correct answer I've seen.

Offlinekanpan
The Beast
 User Gallery

Loc: Kanbodia
    #4068224 - 04/18/05 09:49 AM (19 years, 3 days ago)

I am confused... If the spawn jars are colonizing they are kept in the dark. What does the light color matter as far as speed in colonization if there is no light?

--------------------
"Love is the Law"
"Love under Will"

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Re: blue light and its effect on mycelium [Re: kanpan]
    #4069988 - 04/18/05 07:17 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

kanpan said:
I am confused... If the spawn jars are colonizing they are kept in the dark.  What does the light color matter as far as speed in colonization if there is no light?

because i dont keep mine in the dark yet. at the moment i dont really have a place thats warm and dark. so for now they sit on shelves next to my heater.

and to the poster above: yes, they filter out the other light leaving blue light, which it gets no matter what. we'd already established that much :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineHerbin_Legend
Stranger
    #4073659 - 04/19/05 05:47 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

Seeing that we've established the fact that the mycelium isn't receiving any EXTRA blue light, the best answer for your question is to try this again with more blue jars, and the same strain grown under the same conditions, etc. Right now, simply having one glass that was colored blue colonize faster is probably just a fluke. If you can repeat these results, then maybe we should all invest in blue cellophane to wrap around our clear jars.

Chances are, though, that the reason your mycelium in this jar colonized faster, is because it had less light delaying its growth. NO light is optimal for colonization.

--------------------
"nothing is fool proof for fools are ingenious and will find a way" - Prisoner #1

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Re: blue light and its effect on mycelium [Re: Herbin_Legend]
    #4074163 - 04/19/05 07:40 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Herbin_Legend said: NO light is optimal for colonization.

duly noted. so maybe next time i do a batch i should put a couple in the blue glasses and compare to the ones in darkness. although give my recent seeking (and your input) i doubt that blue is superior to darkness...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract