Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
digital video recording software question
    #4065548 - 04/17/05 12:53 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Seeing the "filming the sky at night" topic made me think of a challenge I had a year ago that I never figured out...

So I have a sony DV camera... and premiere on my powerbook. I wanted to film the sky for an entire night... about 10 hours worth.. from just before dusk to just after dawn.

I wanted to then speed it up in premiere for one of those cool 10 second shots where the entire night is sped up so you can see it in 10 seconds.. as seen on a lot of weather reports on tv or movies or whatever (the devil's advocate had a cool one like this over central park)

The problem is... a dv tape can only record about 2-3 hours or so. So there goes that option. I wanted to record straight to my laptop instead with premiere... but... my hard drive is only 60 gigs. Even if my hard drive was an insane amount like 200 gigs... I'd still be no where near the size I would need to reocrd 10 hours of good quality digital video.

So I thought. Well.. Maybe I can set it up so instead of the normal 29.9whatever NTSC frames per second video... I could somehow tell my camera to record only frame per 30 seconds or 60 seconds or so. My camera does not have this option... nor does premiere. You can do single consective "frame shots"... basically turning yoru dv into a camera ... and each "shot" you use becomes a frame in the 29.97 fps video you create (used for claymation)... BUT... yuo have to do the "click" with premiere manually.. you can't set it up to do a "click" every minute...

You can script certain programs with mac... (ie run a program that sends a command to a program like itunes, imovie, etc)... but there's no scripting compatability with premiere.

The only option I could think of (other than buy a hardcore professional DV camera) would be to get two dv tapes, and stay up all night, recording one on the camera... and editing the other in premire before the other tape runs out... and quickly switch tapes. I'd like to find another way to do this...

#1) I don't want to stay up all night to do this

and

#2) Opening and closing the camera's tape door every 2 hours is going to sliiiiiiiiightly move the camera.. i want this shot to look perfectly still

Any suggestions?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
Re: digital video recording software question [Re: BrAiN]
    #4066801 - 04/17/05 09:52 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

ever tried virtualdub? you can control the rate at which the program records the video, down to 0.001s. I might try to set the frame rate to something weird like 0.03 and use a lossless compression like huffyuv. unfortunately my tv is too far away from my computer to do any good experiments right now. kinda interested now though...

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
Re: digital video recording software question [Re: lackobreath]
    #4066807 - 04/17/05 09:54 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

oi.. I've got a laptop.. it's a mac... I could probably set the camera hooked up to the laptop outside on the balcony...

virtual dub? you think it comes for mac?

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
Re: digital video recording software question [Re: BrAiN]
    #4066828 - 04/17/05 10:04 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

oooh... mac. unfortunately i know very little about mac, and as far as I know you cannot get virtualdub for the mac except with virtual pc (under os9). i'm not aware of any mac equivalent, and a google search really didn't give me much extra info. sorry.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom