Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Peat, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Insecticidal Soap and casings
    #4066784 - 04/17/05 11:46 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Can this be used when fungus gnats are a looming danger?  I found one of the lil' fucks in my chamber today...I have laid down a layer of D.E. on top of the peat/verm layer.  Pinning is going on...but the gnats are also present. 

Here is the insecticidal soap I have on hand:

I bought this specifically because it says it controls fungus gnats.  Active ingredient is "Potassium Salts of Fatty Acids" at 25% concentration of the concentrate.  It's supposed to be diluted to 10 Tablespoons per gallon for a strong spray, and 5 Tablespoons per gallon for a weaker spray. 

My question:
I have one of those fine mist nasal spray misters that I would like to put a little bit of this stuff, at the weak concentration mix, into and perhaps spray any gnats I see with it.  If this mist falls on my casing/myc, will it cause problems? 

I can also dust things with Diatomaceous Earth and hopefully this will inhibit any fungus gnat larvae propagation...I hope.  I don't know much about this insect and so I don't know if D.E. will help kill the things during their worm/larva phase. 

Thanks!
:grin:

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleGnuBobo
 User Gallery

Re: Insecticidal Soap and casings [Re: GnuBobo]
    #4129416 - 05/03/05 09:58 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Bump.

All right.  The lil' fungus gnats are appearing again.  I really hate these things. 
Will "potassium salts of fatty acids" damage mycelium/pins/fruits?

Alternately, I've seen Diflubenzuron (Dimilin) mentioned as an alternative.  Also, Hypoaspis mites; and heterorhabditis. 

Can Gnatrol be used on casings? 

I've been searching for awhile and it seems like in the last few years some new biological, rather than chemical, modalities have been marketed for use against these little bastards.  I want to cut them off.  I'd like a go-to solution that I could start in the next couple of days so cut them off from getting any foothold.

Any advice for solutions that won't harm the mycelium?  Oh sage ones of the contam forum!  Any ideas? 

I :heartpump: you all.  :grin:

--------------------

Edited by GnuBobo (05/03/05 10:00 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Insecticidal Soap and casings [Re: GnuBobo]
    #4132854 - 05/04/05 03:38 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

There is a BT you can use that will kill the larvae. They're most likely breeding in your houseplants, then the adults emerge and go looking for a new place to nest. I've seen fungus gnats for years around my grows, but don't freak out anymore over them. I've honestly never gotten a contamination I could positively blame on them. Another option is the habenero pepper spray insecticide you can get at hydro stores. It kills them dead, but only affects the gnats. You'll still have to find the houseplant they're coming from and take care of the larvae. In the short term, you can set the larvae back by puttng the houseplant in a five gallon bucket of water, so that the water level is a couple of inches above the flowerpot. If the entire soil mass is underwater for two days, it will knock out most of them. Here's another option. http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=1962&ss=gnat
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

InvisibleGnuBobo
 User Gallery

Re: Insecticidal Soap and casings [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4135919 - 05/05/05 02:39 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks very much.  :smile:  I had a bad infestation last summer/fall.  The source turned out to be the enormous compost pile in the back yard and the open windows of the house. 
The strange thing is, I noticed their indoor population increasing dramatically toward the 4th flush of a couple of poo casings...but this was my first go with poo so I don't know if the substrate was just spent or if the gnats contributed to it. 
Thanks again, RR.  :grin:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Peat, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum