Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Hydroponics Supplies, Paul Stamets, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
A big mistake? Bottle Drinking Water vs Distilled or Spring Water
    #4066021 - 04/17/05 07:03 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Recently I bought some water, and being rushed around the store in a hurry I accidently didn't notice that where the distilled water is normally placed was drinking water.  So... I prepared some birdseed with the Drinking Water instead of Distilled Water as is normal.  Will this have any negative effects?  I am aware that the primary concern is chlorine.  Isn't the primary reason people buy bottled water so that they can avoid cholorine and chemical treatment.  Note: on the label it only mentions ozonation, and reverse osmosis - not chlorination.  I'm clinging to this as my best hope that it doesn't contain chlorine.  :mad2:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A big mistake? Bottle Drinking Water vs Distilled or Spring Water [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #4066045 - 04/17/05 07:10 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

You'll be fine. I've used water from about every source you can imagine for all purposes in this hobby (substrate, syringes, etc.) and it's all worked out same.

I don't buy distilled water anymore for this reason. Tap water for me!

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A big mistake? Bottle Drinking Water vs Distilled or Spring Water [Re: Holydiver]
    #4066058 - 04/17/05 07:13 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

^^DITTO^^.... excepting very HARD water.

--------------------

OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: A big mistake? Bottle Drinking Water vs Distilled or Spring Water [Re: agar]
    #4066068 - 04/17/05 07:17 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks, you guys must have great tap water in your muncipalities. The content of chlorine is really high in my area to keep bacteria and other contaminants down - we're in the process of switching to ozonation. Neon Orange Chanterelle project away...

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A big mistake? Bottle Drinking Water vs Distilled or Spring Water [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #4066107 - 04/17/05 07:36 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Get a tap filter for your faucet, plus let the water set a few hours, before use & most tap water is fine.

--------------------

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
    #4066259 - 04/17/05 08:40 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

HerbanShaman said:
Thanks, you guys must have great tap water in your muncipalities. The content of chlorine is really high in my area to keep bacteria and other contaminants down - we're in the process of switching to ozonation. Neon Orange Chanterelle project away...

heat+chlorine=no chlorine. You will be fine. Tap is fine for seed, syringes, agar. Stick with distilled or "as Paul Stamets recomends" Spring or Rain water for casings

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: A big mistake? Bottle Drinking Water vs Distilled or Spring Water [Re: tahoe]
    #4066394 - 04/17/05 09:32 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

There is one area that does benefit from distilled or reverse osmosis water, the pressure cooker. When used in a pressure cooker, it prevents calcium deposits on your jars and the interior of the cooker.

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: A big mistake? Bottle Drinking Water vs Distilled or Spring Water [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4066399 - 04/17/05 09:33 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

good point on the distilled, vinegar helps with using tap water and pitting in the pc's

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

Teh=The

I need to proofread

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A big mistake? Bottle Drinking Water vs Distilled or Spring Water [Re: tahoe]
    #4066411 - 04/17/05 09:39 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

tahoe said:
good point on the distilled, vinegar helps with using tap water and pitting in the pc's

Exactly, toss a splash of vinegar in your pressure cooker and wah-lah, no more jar stains.

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: A big mistake? Bottle Drinking Water vs Distilled or Spring Water [Re: Holydiver]
    #4066418 - 04/17/05 09:42 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

did we just agree, no , yeah, oh my :wink:

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

Teh=The

I need to proofread

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
    #4066428 - 04/17/05 09:45 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

tap water works fine, i just boil it first to take out some of the chlorine and make me feel better about using tap water.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Offlinejamsandwich
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: A big mistake? Bottle Drinking Water vs Distilled or Spring Water [Re: baraka]
    #4066450 - 04/17/05 09:50 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

my friend convinced me to use a tek he printed off shroomery to use water from the local stream in the jars. At first I told him he was crazy, but then he showed me the tek so i tried it out. Before we shoot up the jars, does anyone know this does not work?

--------------------
8 years now! lol

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Loc: Parts Unknown
Re: A big mistake? Bottle Drinking Water vs Distilled or Spring Water [Re: jamsandwich]
    #4066730 - 04/17/05 11:24 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I just use distilled for my spray bottle now. And when I make liquid mycelium. I use tap for all other uses. Once I get a water filter, I will prolly stop using distilled altogether though.

--------------------
If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?

Offlineindole
arf

Re: A big mistake? Bottle Drinking Water vs Distilled or Spring Water [Re: Underhillmaster]
    #4068137 - 04/18/05 10:53 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i have seen a lot of supplies at pet stores/hydroponics stores that carry additives to remove chlorine from your water, another idea is buying some carbon( that crushed crap) put it in something like a hanker chief and tie it off, it will pull impurities out of the water into the carbon.

peas out.

Offlinegoofy98
Heart of ahustler wrist ofa chemist
 User Gallery

Loc: next door
Re: A big mistake? Bottle Drinking Water vs Distilled or Spring Water [Re: indole]
    #4068183 - 04/18/05 11:26 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i use tap water or water from my local stream. Of course i sterilize. It seems to me that my jars benifit from the other organic matter in the stream water.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Hydroponics Supplies, Paul Stamets, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation