Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Potency Increase via longer incubation times
    #4064357 - 04/17/05 03:10 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I have noticed some other posts dealing with a phenomeneon that I have noticed.  It seems that the mushrooms from mycelia that incubated past "full colonization" for 3-4 weeks are much more potent.  I'm not sure if they absorb more nutriends or if enzymatic action produces more tryptamines.  Has anyone else ever observed this?  I once thought that a tray was contaminated so I set it aside in my basement.  four months later when I opened it it had about 8 spindly aborts on it.  About .9 grams.  I ate them not really expecting an experience and I tripped level 4-5.  Input welcome :smile:

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAbermelin
Gnome Hat

Loc: In The Mycelial Network
Re: Potency Increase via longer incubation times [Re: SoopaX]
    #4066994 - 04/18/05 01:01 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

the mycellium contains more psilo the older it gets, so it would make sense that its delayed flushes would have contained more psilo, in additon to the fact that you ate aborts which are known to be more potent per mass than mature fruits.

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: Potency Increase via longer incubation times [Re: Abermelin]
    #4067081 - 04/18/05 01:24 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I've also noticed that a cambodian strain, the only cube i've worked with in the past 4 years, was more potent, much more, when the incubation time was 2-3 weeks longer. For the mycelia to totally decompose the material, I think that longer time is needed.

--------------------

OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

#4067137 - 04/18/05 01:41 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I noticed this with PESA and other strains like Malabar, and PFclassic. With PESA I noticed that the mushrooms from the first flush werent as good as the once from the 2nd & 3rd, I also noticed that the cakes that I just left until I had room for them like a month, which fruited in the jar produced the most potent ive ever had on the 2nd flush which was their first in terrarium fruit. With Malabar I am noticing that the mushrooms from the first flush, dont blue as fast as the ones in the second, just like freshly birthed cakes dont as much as nearly exhausted cakes. with PF classic it was similiar, because tea made from 2 exhausted cakes was like eating 4 grams of dried fruits from the same cakes

--------------------
We might get glimpse's of objectivity every now, and then, but we're so inherently locked in our temporal and corporeal selves that we're irrevocably locked into subjectivity :crazy:

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: Potency Increase via longer incubation times [Re: BladeLSD]
    #4067351 - 04/18/05 02:48 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I think that allowing the mycelia to more fully decompose the substrate does make for a more potent mushroom. We'll have to keep tabs.

--------------------

InvisibleArsey
Stranger
Loc: location location locatio...
    #4068211 - 04/18/05 11:43 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Sugar has been shown to effect the accumulation of secondary metabolites . It's possible with extened incubations the myceelia mass has acumulated and/or stored up a greater carb/sugar base. Likewise, the nitrogen content of the substrate would be lower at that time, which in it's own right, may trigger a metabolic shift.

Offlineneoclimber
InformationJunky
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago/Nashville
Re: Potency Increase via longer incubation times [Re: Arsey]
    #4069248 - 04/18/05 06:05 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

This sound reasonable. Longer incubation times might equal a stronger "foot hold" on nutrients. I Just cased some WBS today that had been sitting @ 100% colonization for 2 weeks. Should be interesting. I'll post my findings too.

--------------------
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Raoul Duke

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown bottle in my shaving kit." - Dr. Gonzo

Hunter S. Thompson 1937-2005
Rest in peace brother.

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: Potency Increase via longer incubation times [Re: neoclimber]
    #4072817 - 04/19/05 03:24 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Yea, I really think that it's self apparent that a substrate that is 'fully colonized' hasn't had all of it's nutrients broken down and absorbed. I only have one tray of cambos now and I really want to get some fr00ts for this spring, so I can't allow it to incubate more. I'm going to get a good deal of spore prints from it and do some experiments.

--------------------

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #4093095 - 04/24/05 10:45 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I can vouch for the potency of over incubated spawn. Strains tested include HA, PESA, B+, PE, TC, and EC. Incubation at room temps sometimes lasted for 2-3 months. The mycelial piss was drained and regardless of whether the grain was spawned to bulk subs or cased directly, potency was very noticably higher. Grains used include rye, wbs, and wheat. So far as I'm concerned it's a fact.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Potency Increase via longer incubation times [Re: mycofile]
    #4094429 - 04/25/05 10:23 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

this may run a little off-topic but I have always been wary of "wasting" good prepped substrate by using over-incubated spawn. Stamets repeatedly asserts that 2 weeks is prime and each day afterward dramatically reduces mycelial vigor. I have used over-incubated spawn mixed with properly-incubated spawn with good results.

Is a 3 or 4 week incubated quart of spawn okay for spawning to bulk subs?
How about 6-10 weeks?

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Potency Increase via longer incubation times [Re: debianlinux]
    #4094837 - 04/25/05 01:11 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

deb, vigor is definitely reduced as time goes on. As I said above though, I've used spawn several months old to spawn bulk substrates. At the long end though (I'd have to check some notes, but I think about 3+ months) vigor is noticably reduced with some spawn not completing spawn run. If you are using anything over 2 months old I'd use a pretty high spawn rate.

Stamets isn't wrong about spawn losinig it's vigor. He just didn't ilucidate that the lost vigor isn't as big of a deal for somebody that's risking losing a square foot casing of straw worth about $.05 in materials as it is for a professional who is risking thousands of dollars worth of substrate and man hours on bad spawn.

I don't know that I'd recomend it as THE way to grow shrooms, but I do know that it works, and if you are in the situation anyway, by all means don't throw that spawn away, and if you want to experiment, go with it. You might be amazed. You might just be pretty darn happy. I can nearly garauntee you won't be disappointed.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology