Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Composting Container from large rubbermaid
    #4063852 - 04/17/05 12:29 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I've mentioned in a few posts that I want to learn to improve the quality of my substrate. The compost is a mix of organic cow poop and yard trimmings (grass, mulched trees, etc) that has the consistency and smell of rich soil. The straw is beautiful golden straw. My idea was to find a way to easily, without frequent turnings, temperature takings, or complex ratios and specific timelines to follow, a composting method that would allow the microorganisms in the compost that I use to begin to break down the straw, just slightly, to make the straw nutrients more readily available for mycelia. Here is what my solution was:

A large rubbermaid container, dark green. It's probably 40-50 gallons, no sticker on the side so I don't know. I placed a layer about 5" deep of straw in the bin. This was "fluffed up" as it was being removed from a very tight bale. Exposing it's surface area to the hungry microorganisms and enzymes was critical. Next came three shovelfuls of compost. This was mixed around and, as expected, the compost settled down to the bottom. I mixed some more compost in and added some oak sawdust to help absorb moisture. This made the compost less dense and it then mixed in with the straw evenly. I layered on more straw, compost and sawdust and decided to water it. Eight liters were poured on the mass and it was stirred frequently. I'm not sure if it's wet enough or not, I'm going to allow it to soak overnight and take a more accurate reading in the morning. I hope to have it ready by noon tomorrow so that I may place it in a warm spot of the sun for the majority of the day and get those organisms kicking into high gear. I guess for moisture I just want everything to be somewhat damp, no dry areas, no settled water. This turns the compost into a poo-stew and I tried to mix everything until this poop water was covering all of the straw.

I'm going to drill about 25 aeration holes in the sides of the rubbermade and about 18 on the bottom tomorrow, just so any excess water can escape and the produts of composting can be vented out. I'm not sure if I should leave this open, put the lid on, or even cover with a black tarp and then put the lid on. A friend is borrowing TMC and GGMM from me, so if anyone has any suggestions, let me know! I'll keep everyone posted on this. I hope that I can accelerate the decomposition of that straw so it's more suited to the mycelia. I remember a picture in TMC of Stamets holding some GREAT mushroom compost and the straw looked brown from the organisms and the decayed matter. comments and suggestions welcome

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Loc: My home is where my spiri...
Re: Composting Container from large rubbermaid [Re: SoopaX]
    #4064065 - 04/17/05 01:30 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I have a little compost thingy going but after reading up on it u really need alot of compost....why? because it should start generating its own heat. I think 25 good sized holes would be good for air circulation. If you don't have good ventilation problems will a rise. I also read that just taking a pitch fork or what have u and mixing it up once a week will be fine. But I wouldn't leave the top on unless u don't want people seeing it. I read a good post on hear a while back ill try and dig it up.

--------------------

----ALL MY POSTS ARE FICTIONAL-------

OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Loc: My home is where my spiri...
Re: Composting Container from large rubbermaid [Re: GNIOM1498]
    #4064081 - 04/17/05 01:36 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------

----ALL MY POSTS ARE FICTIONAL-------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation