Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA
Khat?
    #4060763 - 04/16/05 12:04 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I was reading up on coca and was told khat had similar effects. Khat is as close as a plant can get to being illegal in the US, it is almost illegal it seems. I was going to order some seeds and grow some before it becomes illegal.

Effects are chewing leaves and having similar effects of numbingness?

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: Khat? [Re: Fluxburn]
    #4060866 - 04/16/05 12:34 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Khat is illegal in the US.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Re: Khat? [Re: gdman]
    #4061099 - 04/16/05 01:25 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

then how do vendors offer seeds for it? You are incorrect, the material is illegal to consume, yet the plant is not illegal. This falls into the same category as saliva, kratom, opium pods, etc. etc.

--------------------

Edited by Fluxburn (04/16/05 01:28 AM)

Offlinethe man
still tappin caps

Loc: C A N A D A Flag
    #4061106 - 04/16/05 01:28 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

its liek how spores are legal. or mj seeds bu t not the plant

--------------------
http://www.fsrc.caand FSRE are now accepting edible/medicinal spores. please donate

And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Re: Khat? [Re: the man]
    #4061114 - 04/16/05 01:29 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I thought marijuana seeds were illegal?

--------------------

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#4061182 - 04/16/05 01:46 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

they are illegal in the US, but he is from Canada.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#4061187 - 04/16/05 01:49 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Because I do not want to link the dea website, here is what they have to say.

Drug Intelligence Brief
KHAT
JUNE 2002

Status in International Drug Trafficking

photo - A khat shrubAlthough khat is illegal in the United States, it is legal throughout much of Europe, East Africa, and the Arabian Peninsula. Individuals of East African and Middle Eastern descent are most often responsible for the importation, distribution, possession, and use of khat in the United States.

Background

Khat is a naturally occurring stimulant derived from the Catha edulis shrub. This shrub is primarily cultivated in East Africa and the Arabian Peninsula. The use of khat is an established cultural tradition for many social situations in those regions. Khat is also known as Abyssinian tea, African salad, oat, kat, chat, and catha. Khat has two active ingredients, cathinone and cathine.

* Cathinone is a Schedule I substance that produces a euphoric effect similar to amphetamine in that it stimulates the central nervous system. The cathinone in khat begins to degrade 48 hours after the plant has been cut. Khat that has been refrigerated or frozen will retain its cathinone potency for a longer period.

* Cathine is a Schedule IV substance that produces a much less intense stimulant effect than cathinone; however, it does not lose its potency after harvesting.

Methcathinone

Methcathinone, commonly called cat, is occasionally confused with khat. Methcathinone is a synthetic Schedule I substance that has a similar chemical structure to the cathinone in the khat plant. Methcathinone is produced in clandestine laboratories and sold as a methamphetamine alternative. Ephedrine and/or pseudoephedrine are the main precursor chemicals used in methcathinone synthesis. The addictive properties and side effects of this synthetic are more intense than either of the naturally occurring khat substances.

Recent History

photo - At a khat cultivation areaSeveral million people may currently be using khat worldwide; the largest concentrations of users are in the regions surrounding the Middle East. U.S. Customs Service (USCS) seizures of khat have risen from around 800 kilograms annually in 1992 to over 37.2 metric tons in 2001. The price of khat ranged from US$30 to US$60 per kilogram in 1992. Although current kilogram prices for khat are not available, the price of khat ranged from US$15 to US$50 per bundle in 1998. [Note: There is no method of converting bundles to kilograms, because the weights of the bundles vary?some bundles can weigh almost nothing while others can weigh much more. In addition, a bundle of khat can contain between 20 and 40 stems; the variance of weight and number of stems accounts for the wide range of prices per bundle. Seizures of khat, however, can be measured and are measured in kilograms.]

Cultivation

Khat is an important part of the economy of many producer countries, particularly Somalia and Yemen. Press reports from Yemen state that more than US$2 billion are spent annually by Yemenis to purchase khat, which is often grown on land that is unsuitable for other crops. [Note: Although khat is cultivated on land that is currently unsuitable for other crops, the cultivation of khat precludes the land?s development for other purposes.]

Khat is grown in export quantities in countries such as Kenya and Ethiopia; it is Ethiopia?s fourth largest export according to U.S. embassy reporting, and the recreational use of khat is widely accepted there. Over 33 percent of Yemen?s gross national product is associated with the cultivation, consumption, and exportation of khat. The World Health Organization reports that the cultivation and use of khat has profound socioeconomic consequences on countries and individuals. The cultivation of khat requires scarce land and water resources that could be put to other uses. Khat use is costly and potentially addictive. Widespread frequent use of khat impacts productivity because it tends to reduce worker motivation.

The only known case of khat cultivation in the United States occurred in September 1998, when 1,076 khat plants were seized in a raid in Salinas, California. Sophisticated irrigation techniques were used in this outdoor-grow operation. The individual involved was of Middle Eastern origin; he earned approximately US$10,000 per month in khat sales.

Because the potency of the cathinone in the khat is reduced as the plant material dries, shipment by air is the most common method of transport.

Trafficking

Khat is usually shipped already packaged into bundles, and wrapped in plastic bags or banana leaves to retain moisture and freshness. Khat is generally smuggled in passenger luggage, overnight express mail (USPS, UPS, DHL, etc.), or shipped as air cargo and falsely labeled as ?vegetables.? According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, khat is sometimes falsely labeled and shipped to the United States as molokheya, an Egyptian vegetable.

Most khat seized in the United States has been seized from immigrants of Somalia, Ethiopia, Yemen, Eritrea, and other countries where khat use is common. The USCS makes most of its khat seizures at the JFK International Airport in New York from arriving passengers, overnight express mail, and air cargo. Of the over 27 metric tons seized by the USCS in FY 1998, almost 18 metric tons were seized from flights arriving from Great Britain. Most cases of khat trafficking in the United States are prosecuted at the state level rather than in the federal court system.

Use/Abuse of Khat

photo - Two men chewing khatKhat has been used since antiquity as a recreational and religious drug by natives of Eastern Africa, the Arabian Peninsula, and the Middle East. Khat is legal in many countries, including Great Britain where khat can be legally imported, distributed, used, and/or exported. Khat has long been an acceptable substitute for alcohol among Muslims. During the period of Ramadan, the use of khat is popular to alleviate fatigue and reduce hunger. Although khat can be abused, it is often used in a social context similar to the manner in which coffee is consumed in other parts of the world. Reports from Yemen indicate that khat is consumed by 3 out of every 4 Yemenis, and accounts for more than 40 percent of the average family budget.

Khat is typically chewed like tobacco. The fresh leaves, twigs, and shoots of the khat shrub are chewed, and then retained in the cheek and chewed intermittently to release the active drug. Dried plant material can be made into tea or a chewable paste, but dried khat is not as potent as the fresh plant product. Khat can also be smoked and even sprinkled on food.

Chronic khat abuse can result in symptoms such as physical exhaustion, violence, and suicidal depression, which are similar to amphetamine addiction. Common side effects include anorexia, tachycardia, hypertension, insomnia, and gastric disorders.

Key Judgments

The amount of khat seized in the United States has been steadily increasing; it appears to be related to the increasing number of immigrants from Somalia, Ethiopia, Yemen, Eritrea, and other countries where khat use is common. Although it is hard to predict future immigration trends, it seems likely that the importation of khat will continue to increase to meet the demand of those ethnic groups who are accustomed to using it.

It does not seem likely at this point that khat use will expand beyond the ethnic Somalian, Ethiopian, Yemeni, and Eritrean communities. There is no indication that khat is marketed outside these ethnic communities although it appears to be readily available.
This report was prepared by the DEA Intelligence Division, International Strategic Support Section, Europe, Asia, Africa Strategic Unit. This report reflects information received prior to April 1, 2002. Comments and requests for copies are welcome and may be faxed to the Intelligence Production Unit, Intelligence Division, DEA Headquarters, at (202) 307-8726.

DEA-02032

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Re: Khat? [Re: Jim]
    #4061322 - 04/16/05 02:47 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

well technically removing the foilage is "illegal" but growing the plant technically is "not" legal. But it is all a "grey" area any ways. Well regardless I don't expect the DEA dropping by anytime soon, so I think I am safe.

--------------------

Offlinestevo
 User Gallery

#4063773 - 04/17/05 12:03 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Consuming kratom is illegal? I thought it had to be listed as a noxious weed? Or is it already? I think pretty soon it will be illegal to consume any plant but tobacco. US gov is turning into nazis I tell ya.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Kratom

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden