Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
WalMart
    #4056566 - 04/14/05 09:24 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

They are donating one acre of wilderness preserve for each acre of of store and parking lot. Sounds good to me if it's true. Perhaps others will follow.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBanJankri
FreefallerUpwards

Re: WalMart [Re: shroomydan]
    #4056805 - 04/14/05 10:22 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I like how big corporations are trying to go for the environment friendly image but I dont buy it. Its seems to be the trend nowdays. Oh and nike has also revealed where their factories are. How lucky we are!

--------------------
Just let everything flow, just flow right to the center of everything. You gotta turn off your mind and relax, and then just float downstream...

Offlinesignoffate
Only Human
Loc: Where is here?
    #4056867 - 04/14/05 10:38 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

How much you wanna be that they just buy some cheeeeep ass crown land that has already been cut by the lumber industry or drained by the oil rigs! or maybe they are just buying up land, claim its the 'walmart perserve', and just sit on it untill someone offers them more $$$ for it.
Chances are there is a dollar to be made from doing this.

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Loc: California
Re: WalMart [Re: signoffate]
    #4057112 - 04/14/05 11:28 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Ill ask my dad if he can get more information on it straight from the horses mouth. He is friends with the CEO of walmart. Ill see if we can get an off camera statement.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: WalMart [Re: BanJankri]
    #4057130 - 04/14/05 11:33 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

BanJankri said:
I like how big corporations are trying to go for the environment friendly image but I dont buy it. Its seems to be the trend nowdays. Oh and nike has also revealed where their factories are. How lucky we are!

So no matter what a big corporation does it must be bad? Gotta love the kneejerk reactions.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineBanJankri
FreefallerUpwards

Re: WalMart [Re: z@z.com]
    #4057339 - 04/15/05 12:37 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I didnt mention it was bad. Its just funny that these sorta corporations or oil companies are trying to show their environment friendly, human right respecting sides, while their interests tell them to do otherwise. I'm not speaking for all corporations as well. If they indeed did implement these decisions that would make a radical difference, I would truly respect that. For example Nike has revealed where the factories are and has let some observations be made. Heres from a newspaper article:

"Nike lists 124 plants in China contracted to make its products, 73 in Thailand, 35 in South Korea, 34 in Vietnam and others in Asia.

It also produces goods in South America, Australia, Canada, Italy, Mexico, Turkey and the US. It employs 650,000 contract workers worldwide.

The report admits to widespread problems, particularly in Nike's Asian factories. The company said it audited hundreds of factories in 2003 and 2004 and found cases of "abusive treatment", physical and verbal, in more than a quarter of its south Asian plants.

Between 25% and 50% of the factories in the region restrict access to toilets and drinking water during the workday.

The same percentage deny workers at least one day off in seven.

In more than half of Nike's factories, the report said, employees worked more than 60 hours a day. In up to 25%, workers refusing to do overtime were punished.

Wages were also below the legal minimum at up to 25% of factories."

So yes it is a good step to make these issues that were already known by a part, public. But the more important step is actually doing something to change these. Its just that I'm a bit pessimistic that these kinds of corporations, having actual interest in env expliotation or keeping wages low etc, can do things other than these strategies to make people think they are human right, env right promoting corporations.

--------------------
Just let everything flow, just flow right to the center of everything. You gotta turn off your mind and relax, and then just float downstream...

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
    #4057796 - 04/15/05 05:46 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

"one acre of wilderness preserve for each acre of of store and parking lot"

not much in other words, but hey, it sounds good.

Perhaps they should donate 1 acre for every ton of goods they sell, or something related to the amount of resources they are using...

ah well - at least it's becoming corporate chiq to look like you care for the environ, maybe one day when there is no choice left, they will really begin to care.

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
    #4057806 - 04/15/05 05:55 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Nike cares, in fact the sportswear industry cares, in fact industry cares soooo much about the workers. Brings a tear to my eye the love and prosperity they bring to those that keep the wheels of their empires turning.

OfflineOrganic
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
    #4057829 - 04/15/05 06:25 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

They must be feeling guilty for their plastic bags being a significant % of the world's pollution :wink:

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #4057834 - 04/15/05 06:29 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

In more than half of Nike's factories, the report said, employees worked more than 60 hours a day.

Where the hell does Nike have these factories? The twilight zone?

60 hour work day? :smirk:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: WalMart [Re: trendal]
    #4057863 - 04/15/05 06:46 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I bet they have to walk uphill in the snow both ways to work in 110? weather.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineBanJankri
FreefallerUpwards

Re: WalMart [Re: trendal]
    #4058533 - 04/15/05 11:16 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:

Where the hell does Nike have these factories? The twilight zone?

60 hour work day? :smirk:

:rotfl: :rotfl: Sorry I just copy pasted from an article from the guardian. There must be something wrong I guess :smile:

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #4058624 - 04/15/05 11:40 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Well... The Guardian...

What can you expect?

Phred

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: WalMart [Re: Phred]
    #4059346 - 04/15/05 02:48 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The tireless loons at the Guardian work at least 80 hrs a day so they know how it's done. One of them seems to have been a little fatigued, though, on the editing desk.

--------------------

Invisiblerogue_pixie
faerydae
Female User Gallery

Loc: UK
Re: WalMart [Re: z@z.com]
    #4059665 - 04/15/05 04:16 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

z@z.com said:
Quote:

BanJankri said:

So no matter what a big corporation does it must be bad? Gotta love the kneejerk reactions.

Of course big corporations are bad they capitalise on making other people's lives a misery. All they give a fuck about is making money and if that means lying to gullible halfwits about being friendly and caring about the environment then they'll do it.

--------------------
"Whatever you do, you need to keep moving.  Because when you stop moving you die (physically and emotionally).

Good luck and blessings of happiness and fortune." ~ RandalFlagg RIP

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: WalMart [Re: rogue_pixie]
    #4059748 - 04/15/05 04:33 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

rogue_pixie said:
Quote:

z@z.com said:
Quote:

BanJankri said:

Of course big corporations are bad they capitalise on making other people's lives a misery.

Got any evidence to back this nonsense up. Seems to me that if what you purchased from a "Big Corporation" made you miserable you might want to consider not buying it
Quote:

All they give a fuck about is making money

Yuh. No shit. That is the reason that they exist. No other
And if they think they can get good responses to their acts of phony altruism then so what. They are still acts of (phony) altruism. But with an expected return. Good PR. So?

Quote:

and if that means lying to gullible halfwits about being friendly and caring about the environment then they'll do it.

Once again, so what. You think that people who patronize these corporations are halfwits. Build your own refrigerator out of hemp for all I care. I think you and your ilk are halfwits. Did you make the computer you're using out of reeds with your own hands? Take your dopey shit somewhere else.

--------------------

Invisiblerogue_pixie
faerydae
Female User Gallery

Re: WalMart [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4059834 - 04/15/05 04:50 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I wasn't referring to the consumers as such, although that's a different matter - do we need half the crap they sell us? It's mass peer pressure, a way to make people feel inadequate and generally crap because they can't afford stuff. I was referring to the people who they exploit, actually, you know someone has to make this stuff...in case you still haven't guessed - the workers - who are inevitably (due to the need for efficient mass production) are under-paid and over-worked, it's ironic that the people who work the hardest are unlikely to be able to afford the products they work so hard to produce.

Is that all you can come up with "so what?" how intellectual, what a deep thoughtful comment you've been able to muster up! I didn't think that possible coming from someone who thinks that lying to the public in order to make more profit is acceptable!

--------------------
"Whatever you do, you need to keep moving.  Because when you stop moving you die (physically and emotionally).

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4059978 - 04/15/05 05:22 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

We are dependent on industry to provide us with everything we need.

The only way we will ever get away from this is by creating technology that works without the need for concentration of power. Almost all the technology we have was designed with the best interests of big money as the primary objective of it's creation. This has been true for centuries, far prior to even the industrial revolution.

As you may have guessed, big money isn't about to foot the bill for it's own obsolescence. That means we need an assload of pro-bono scientists, mathematicians, engineers, technologists, technicians, physicists, chemists, etc... workng together to develop a technological system that is designed with the individual as the primary beneficiary.

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisiblerogue_pixie
faerydae
Female User Gallery

Re: WalMart [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #4060064 - 04/15/05 05:42 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

We've become dependant upon industry but it isn't a necessity - we don't need computers, consoles, nuclear weapons to survive do we? ...we don't need to slog our guts out for companies in return for pittance so they can sell these useless products back that we neither really need or can afford. Why do we need technology to provide for us? What would be left to do in a world where machines did everything? The cost this "industry" is having on the Earth and millions of people at the moment seems like a good reason to change submissive dependant attitudes and to start providing for ourselves, it'd be far more beneficient to the world anf humankind as a whole.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4060107 - 04/15/05 05:51 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

This planet can't sustain this population without technology. If we got rid of technology, billions of people would have to die.

We need small money technology that is as efficient as big money technology. People aren't going to give up technology, but they might adopt a technology that is more benign, and self-sufficient.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale