Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Peat, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblecrazytalken
SELECT
 User Gallery

even pins?
    #4057187 - 04/15/05 01:58 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Hey guys ive been growin for a little while, but just started casing. ive done about 5 casings before which gave me a few huge fruits :wink: but like i said it was only a few.
What is the real key to even pinning??
ive read a lot so im not just asking this question randomly...please dont redirect me to a tech. ive probably read it.  I wanna know what works for you personally.  :mushroom2:

Ive seen some of the members pics in post and have been blown away by the number of pins and the perfect timing.
I expose them to light for at least 8 hours but only get pin clusters. i will usually get about 4-5 pin clusters of about 5 pins each....not bad, but not what ive seen others pull off...(Im using Golden Teachers, and Cambos in 50/50 Verm/jiffy mix, BRF cakes, dunked 24-32 hours)
ANY tips... :confused:

--------------------
**"Both the psychedelic dream state and the waking psychedelic state acquire great import because they reveal to life a task: to become familiar with this dimension that is causing being, in order to be familiar with it at the moment of passing from life." -Terence McKenna

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: even pins? [Re: crazytalken]
    #4057237 - 04/15/05 02:12 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Have you read Hyphaes casing guide? If you havnt read even post in the archieves section under Casing, you should..including his.

Tips...
Use peat based..maybe a little coir mixed in. This isnt needed...even pinsets can be achieved with coir based too.
Incubate after patching until myc is popping up, then patch covering all white areas when a few are popping up and you can see it below the rest. Immediatly fruit it with nothing visable (since you just patched). It should be all under the surface and evenly there.
Dont use clear or Opaque casing containers. Light can start pinning on the sides before the tops, creating uneven energy.
Give them lots of light and fresh air, but dont over mist the casing, it can promote to much vegative growth.
Keep it patched right as it comes up, if it doesnt come up even.
Dont flatten the casing mix when you apply it. Sprinkle it on leaving it fluffy with hills and valleys. It shouldnt look like it was paved flat.
Use a better substrate that can create a better network (whole grains or even better, poo). I havnt seen to many even BRF flushes for some reason.
A clone/isolate of a strain REALLY helps too.

Theres more and some others may differ in their opinions but those are some of my "things".

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4057326 - 04/15/05 02:33 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Assuming you got the water content right and the pH right... The key is TEMPERATURE, TEMPERATURE, TEMPERATURE during the casing incubation (and casing incubation is NOT an option, it's required for decent yields).

Even, heavy, even pinning requires incubation of the casing at a carefully controlled temperature. I recommend a tub-in-tub setup for even heatup (look it up if you don't know about it). Recently I re-learned what I am telling you as it applies to both bulk and smaller trays. I was also getting poor casing runs with my bulk casings because I thought the self-heating of the tray was enough to keep the tray going through the casing colonization. Sometimes it is enough, but it often is not. For bulk trays, you can wrap them in a really good insulator. For small trays, you'll need external heat. External heat must be applied usually. The core must be kept 84-90F for a bulk tray. For a smaller tray shoot for the room being 86F all around the tray. If the core runs over 92F or so, you need to reduce the heat a bit.

I don't know about coir, but for 50/50 peat casings, the casing must be totally run with mycelium at least to the valleys before put in the fruiting chamber. If some parts break through early, I do not patch it. I break the mycellium up a little and mix it down a bit with a clean fork. I believe this works better than patching.

When a casing looks like this:

You get yields like this:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: even pins? [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4057938 - 04/15/05 09:37 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

>I don't know about coir, but for 50/50 peat casings, the casing must be totally run with mycelium at least to the valleys before put in the fruiting chamber.

Actually, I would listen to this. I was speaking of coir when I typed that (patch and fruit with no mycelium showing)..I've only done a few peat casings (my last few) but I should have let them colonize more. I forgot they hadnt come up as much as I had wanted...

Theres pictures about those peat and coir casings I recently did and I'm refering to and how much they colonized when before fruited in the link in my sig-Casing layer colonization and overlay. I think I'll update that soon, most on the page are ready to harvest or almost ready.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisiblecrazytalken
SELECT
 User Gallery

Re: even pins? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4060673 - 04/15/05 11:17 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

ahhh thanks for all the help guys...i have a Cambo casing(verm/jiffy) fuzzing over right now (pre-top-casing layer) Im going to keep an eye on the temp. and also try patching better to regulate growth a little better. i think maybe before i allowed them to fruit to early...

Can i get good 2nd and 3rd flushes from my half ass casings that i mentioned before if i did some patch work and rehydrated them? Im gunna try anyhow so i guess ill let ya know.

--------------------
**"Both the psychedelic dream state and the waking psychedelic state acquire great import because they reveal to life a task: to become familiar with this dimension that is causing being, in order to be familiar with it at the moment of passing from life." -Terence McKenna

Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

Re: even pins? [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4061046 - 04/16/05 01:14 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Blue Helix said:

What substrate and speciese/strain is that, blue helix?

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4061930 - 04/16/05 10:46 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

That's B+ spawned out with wildbird seed on horse manure. I have had equal success with Ecudorian, and I think there are lots of strong strains out there. I like B+ because it seems to really shine later in the flushes with some HUGE fruits. I've had fruits of 120 grams fresh off the third flush on B+ before. That was almost three eighths dry from a single mushroom!

Edited by Blue Helix (04/16/05 10:48 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Peat, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation