Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepsilocyben
bad guy

Re: STORE BOUGHT BAGGED MANURE & "SO CALLED" COMPOST: [Re: jamsandwich]
    #4055105 - 04/14/05 02:11 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

:bow:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: STORE BOUGHT BAGGED MANURE & "SO CALLED" COMPOST: [Re: psilocyben]
    #4055133 - 04/14/05 02:20 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyben said: :bow:

:blush:....... just luck  :rolleyes:

--------------------

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: STORE BOUGHT BAGGED MANURE & "SO CALLED" COMPOST: [Re: agar]
    #4055154 - 04/14/05 02:30 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Damn. That's some nice work indeed. :thumbup: I can't compete with that! Have you ever fiddled around with pure vegetable compost Agar?

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: STORE BOUGHT BAGGED MANURE & "SO CALLED" COMPOST: [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4055187 - 04/14/05 02:41 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

lordoftheshroomz said:
i have some composted cow manure i bought t walmart for $1.77 and it has been spawned and is currently colonizing nicely

I've used that stuff before and it works great. It even works well without pasturization.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offlinesnoo
Stranger

#4056647 - 04/14/05 09:44 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Please make this a sticky. I'm so tired of people asking if they can use store bought crap. Some won't listen no matter how many times you tell them its not a good idea.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: STORE BOUGHT BAGGED MANURE & "SO CALLED" COMPOST: [Re: snoo]
    #4056683 - 04/14/05 09:56 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

**Chants**

STICKY STICKY STICKY

Won't happen, b/c almost ALL of his posts should be put somewhere so that everyone can view them, he needs his own section lol :thumbup:

I agree, rye :thumbup:....Gonna try that special mix of urs Agar....Rye,WBS,and canola seed , Hopefully it'll go well after i spawn it to h/poo/straw

-Gnostic

Great post btw

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Loc: Parts Unknown
Re: STORE BOUGHT BAGGED MANURE & "SO CALLED" COMPOST: [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4056863 - 04/14/05 10:37 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I am going to start using a wbs/rye mix, but I was wondering about possible things to add. I didn't think of canola seed. I was wondering about safflower and flax seed. Anybody know anything about these two?

--------------------
If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#4056893 - 04/14/05 10:44 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

snoo said:
Please make this a sticky. I'm so tired of people asking if they can use store bought crap. Some won't listen no matter how many times you tell them its not a good idea.

Please don't give out false info. It works. Pretty good if ya find the right brand. Come talk to me next week. I'll be more than glad to prove ya wrong! :thumbup:

Invisibleeric_the_redS
Trans-male User Gallery

Loc: happy land
    #4057008 - 04/14/05 11:12 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i've got a story about commercial "compost." about 6 years ago, i bought some from walmart ($0.97 per bag) with the intention of spawining it with a couple of crumbled cakes. the "compost" was mostly sand, bark, wood chips/sticks, some peat moss, and topsoil. i didn't know the first thing about compost back then, so that mixture didn't seem a bit odd to me. so, i crumbled up the cakes in an old gatorade bottle, then poured in my "compost." well, the compost never did colonize, but i got some really good sized shrooms. that stuff turned out to be an excellent casing layer. as a substrate, it's wasn't worth a damn. i used it as a casing layer a few more times and also used it for cactus soil, but walmart switched it's mix the next year.

yesterday, at a different store, i saw stacks of topsoil, potting soil, and compost bags. i noticed every stack had at least one bag ripped open, so i checked out the mixes (mostly sand, wood splinters, and topsoil). i held samples from all three bags in my hand at the same time and could find very little difference between them.

looks like i found some more of that good, cheap cactus soil.

edit, to avoid confusion for the new growers: you do not want to use compost to case with. the "compost" i bought was not actually compost and if you go out and buy whatever is labeled "compost" in your area, chances are you won't be getting what i bought. so, don't case with it.

--------------------
Anno cock? is that some kind of Greek liqueur? -Geo's All Knowing Sex Slave

Edited by eric_the_red (04/15/05 11:08 AM)

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
Re: STORE BOUGHT BAGGED MANURE & "SO CALLED" COMPOST: [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4057070 - 04/14/05 11:22 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4057105 - 04/14/05 11:27 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

hotnutz said:
Quote:

snoo said:

Please don't give out false info. It works. Pretty good if ya find the right brand. Come talk to me next week. I'll be more than glad to prove ya wrong! :thumbup:

I think agar brought up a good point though. Manure is very cheap and so cant be shipped from very far to be sold at that cheap price. That means its bagged up regional and different poos will be available for different people. My store bought shit is from Maine (shipped from), yours isnt...it may work worse or better then yours. Just because you can pull results with poo bought at your stores, doesnt mean everyone else could do the same if they cant start off with the same ingredients. I think theres a bigger difference in the poo's then you think.

I got some "Composted Cow Manure" from Maine...I'm gonna try out a casing to see what it looks like side by side with hpoo based bulk. We'll see...I'm hopefull...they got lots of farms up there in Maine and this stuff says that its composted...this being a problem agar mentioned that bagged manure usually isnt done. It's pretty nice stuff as far as the texture...muddlike but with the usually additives it should get a nice texture..I'm sure hpoo based will kick the crap out of it but I think I should see something ok from it...who knows :shrug:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: STORE BOUGHT BAGGED MANURE & "SO CALLED" COMPOST: [Re: Underhillmaster]
    #4057161 - 04/14/05 11:48 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Underhillmaster said:
I am going to start using a wbs/rye mix, but I was wondering about possible things to add. I didn't think of canola seed. I was wondering about safflower and flax seed. Anybody know anything about these two?

The composition of the seed's nutrient reserve is important. Seeds are preferred that have a relatively high content of oil including the types and amounts of lipids that are available as a nutrient source (e.g., triacylglycerols, phospholipids, glycolipids, and the like), and the amount of protein including the amino acid profile and relative amounts of each amino acid comprising the protein.

Oilseed species or their close relatives, namely, flax, rape, mustard, radish, oil sunflower, cabbage, and sesame are excellent additives in relatively small amounts (5 %).

--------------------

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Re: STORE BOUGHT BAGGED MANURE & "SO CALLED" COMPOST: [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4057162 - 04/14/05 11:48 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I like the term, "regional poos"  :lol:

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

Offlinesnoo
Stranger

#4057269 - 04/15/05 12:20 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

hotnutz said:
Quote:

snoo said:

Please don't give people new to the hobby false hope. I don't doubt for a minute that some of it can be useful, but finding the right kind is the hard part. How many people are going to come back and say "hotnutz u sed i cud uze da horsiepoo from da home depot stoe', why u say it werk if it dunt????"

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: STORE BOUGHT BAGGED MANURE & "SO CALLED" COMPOST: [Re: killabeez]
    #4057289 - 04/15/05 12:26 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

killabeez said:

don't use compost or manure and you'll be good. you should only use WBS and wheat straw. it's really that simple.

You have that backwards.
use a good quality compost or aged horse poo...and you will get your best results.

use wheat straw alone...and your looking at maybe 2 good flushes...if that.
wheat straw is the weakest bulk substrate that there is.  :smirk:

welcome to the shroomery.

:smile:

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

#4060954 - 04/15/05 10:56 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:
STORE BOUGHT BAGGED MANURE & "SO CALLED" COMPOST:

Take NOTE, no store bought bagged manure or so called compost is made of, nor anything even close to what actual mushroom substrates require, nor are actually composted.

so dose that mean that when i go to seattle and buy the prep pastureized High Mountain compost they they reselll that i am not getting real compost ?

be sides haveing HMC avalable localy we also have a local place that sells a mix of horse/cow shit vermiculite thats fully composted stuff but thats a hr drive to get but when i get some i will post a pic you just have to know what your getting befor you get it

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#4062363 - 04/16/05 12:32 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

snoo said:
Quote:

hotnutz said:
Quote:

snoo said:

Please don't give people new to the hobby false hope. I don't doubt for a minute that some of it can be useful, but finding the right kind is the hard part. How many people are going to come back and say "hotnutz u sed i cud uze da horsiepoo from da home depot stoe', why u say it werk if it dunt????"

All I know is it will work. I know several people that use it simply because they don't have access to a field. All of them having nice results. It depends on a growers skills completely. If I hear a rash of shit because it didn't work, you simply didn't do it right!  :thumbup:

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: STORE BOUGHT BAGGED MANURE & "SO CALLED" COMPOST: [Re: onetime]
    #4062370 - 04/16/05 12:35 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

onetime said:
so dose that mean that when i go to seattle and buy the prep pastureized High Mountain compost they they reselll that i am not getting real compost ?

HMC is mushroom specific compost, of course it's the real thing. You aren't paying $3.50/pound for spent mushroom farm substrate, I assure you that.

OfflineChromeCrow
one ancient mutha
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Hoosier HELL
Re: STORE BOUGHT BAGGED MANURE & "SO CALLED" COMPOST: [Re: Holydiver]
    #4062393 - 04/16/05 12:48 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

as a norm i use popcorn/straw.

i get a steady 1/2 pound dried product per 2 gallon/tray( after all flushes)

I have also used Scotts 3-in-1 compost with the same results, so the Scotts didnt hurt, but didnt help either, so i stay with simplicity, and only use grain/straw now. But it is a workable compost, and even supports fruiting pans.

Was a few years ago, everyone in the community was giving Scotts a go, and having wonderful results, but i guess the novelty wore off, and everyone went on to other things...

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...true#Post750026

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...&PHPSESSID=

or do a search for Scotts 3-in-1 the results was just under 600

and Road.... i know your an excellent cultivator, your one of the very few cultivators here i respect, I know poo is ultimal but i get at least 4 or more good flushes from straw/popcorn.. potency is average( which i am now tackling by adding a high rate of millet) Maybe the extra flushes comes from the fact i over spawn the straw i dunno, i use 2 qts grain to each 2 gallon tray ( i colonize in filterpatch bags 1 qt/bag, and it takes 2 bags for tray)

--------------------
ISO: Orissa, Malabar, z strain

Edited by ChromeCrow (04/16/05 01:01 PM)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: STORE BOUGHT BAGGED MANURE & "SO CALLED" COMPOST: [Re: ChromeCrow]
    #4062669 - 04/16/05 02:38 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yo.....C/C

In the USA, the primary ingredients in composts made specifically for use as a mushroom cultivation substrate is generally straw, and horse manure.

No bagged HomeDepot, Lowes, WalMart, or any store bought compost product that I have heard of, am aware of, or have ever seen contains straw or horse manure.

Most store bought bagged composts are a mixture of steer manure, and forest products (which could be anything tree or wood related).

Steer manure is not a suitable substrate because it lacks a humus/fiber consistency, and is most often tainted with excess salt, antibiotics, insecticides, and fungicides. Forest products certainly are not suitable substrate material for cultivation of Cubensis.

For this purpose, you cannot mix two unsuitable products together, that result in a suitable one. True, some have had a degree of success with bagged products. Most have not. The degree of skill has nothing to do with it. The most skilled cultivator cannot attain optimal crops, without a suitable substrate.

Common sense mandates there would be no market for high end bulk substrates sold by vendors here, if store bought bagged compost worked well. As, anyone with an iota of common sense would certainly buy a forty pound bag of $3 compost at the local garden center, rather than spend $3 per pound (plus S&H) for an optimal bulk substrate from a vendor.

Certainly, you can get some bagged products to work. Just add lots of fine chopped straw, BRF, WBSF, coir, vermiculite, and use a very high percentage of wbs/rye spawn. I have, it fruited. But, not as prolific as h/poo, alone.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds