Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Who makes a career out of horticulture?
    #4053539 - 04/14/05 05:27 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

thought i'd get a better response in this forum..move it if you want too

I decided that I'll most likely go to college now and was deciding between arborist and horticulture. But I think horticulture is where i'll be heading, just seems more intresting.

Working with plants will be a job I will actually enjoy, everything else just seems boring and pointless. I mean if I can get into a nursery I think I could really enjoy it and it will be a job thats somewhat tranquil, which is something I want.

I guess I made this post looking for any advice.

thanks

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Edited by bellylard (04/14/05 05:54 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineminErval
garden gnome

Re: Who makes a career out of horticulture? [Re: barfightlard]
    #4053642 - 04/14/05 06:51 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

workign with plants is an extremely rewarding and enjoyable activity for some. however to make money from this love is a very hard thing, and lots of people i know who have worked on wholesale and commercial nurseries say that making money out of it takes away the beauty...
but then again i think with the right mind frame anythign is possible.. and ethnobotany is definately a fast growing industry and id say therer will be money to be made in the not too distant future as it breakes the banks of materialism and conformity

--------------------
to each his gnome....

evolving to a fluctuating vibration of cosmic energy....sounds like dna unfolding and re-arranging to me...
http://www.ketuhrecords.com/releases_hyperspatial.php

oh for fucks sake cant we evolve already??

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Who makes a career out of horticulture? [Re: minErval]
    #4054160 - 04/14/05 10:28 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Self employment is always an option if wages in the field aren't up to your liking. You could possibly teach high-school science if you get certified.

And a masters or PhD in a complimentary field would help to, then you could possibly teach college or more serious research in the field.

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Netherlands
Re: Who makes a career out of horticulture? [Re: YidakiMan]
    #4054179 - 04/14/05 10:33 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

im thinking about getting a job in botanics...
not sure where though...

--------------------
-Know ye not that ye are gods?-
My homepage

OfflineLiveByFreedom
Catalyst
 User Gallery

Loc: Mountains
Re: Who makes a career out of horticulture? [Re: Vertigo6911]
    #4054256 - 04/14/05 10:47 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I plan on studying horticulture and botany in a year or two, i took a 6 month course for agricultural science, and since i really wasn't into the animal farming part (i'm from a small town in the mountains), the teacher let me work in the greenhouse the whole time. Smoked up with him a couple times too, hehe.

--------------------
"Everything is not as it seems." Eye

Offlinebarfightlard
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Who makes a career out of horticulture? [Re: YidakiMan]
    #4054643 - 04/14/05 12:19 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I wouldn't want to be a teacher and research might be a little too much for me. I think I would be fairly content working in a greenhouse or nursery making shitty money. But, hey things might change, and if they do i'll figure something out at that time.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineAbermelin
Gnome Hat

Loc: In The Mycelial Network
    #4055727 - 04/14/05 04:50 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

ive decided too that this should be my path for the immediate future. Its sounds like you want to work some min. wage job ina green house though? you dont have to go to college to do that. shit, i want a job that involves field work around the globe. that type of job you have to go to college to do.

Offlinebarfightlard
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Who makes a career out of horticulture? [Re: Abermelin]
    #4055960 - 04/14/05 06:12 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I guess I don't know what types of jobs I can get with a degree in horticulture....I'd still like to take the course for general knowledge and maybe different jobs I can use it in.

What type of job are you looking for?

--------------------

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
    #4056078 - 04/14/05 06:41 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

thats what im going for after my daughter gets better.
theres lots of money in it, usually you start at a nursery doing propagation, then after some experience you can go for work in cities at museums, parks, arboritums, bio domes, aquariums. etc. or you can go the way of landscaping and start your own buisness, lots of money, lots of work
the rewards are phenominal, opportunities to plant ethnos, access to good equipment, cheap materials thru industry.

the real succss lies in ambition. you must take prid in plant husbandry, you must have all the best plants, the most imaginative set-ups. the greenest foliage. and you must be visable, which is why you work hardest when people are enjoying your craft. become the garden. then youre where you should be, grounded.

vitiaculture is another successful feild. growing grapes well and learning wine making wll make you millions if you got the touch.

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
    #4056766 - 04/14/05 10:14 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i work at a nursery and its brilliant hard work but delving into the hort industry is a great thing its ever expanding and you can actually make a buck out of it too.

types of jobs that you can get through hort are heaps
landscaping
designing
irrigation
wholesale or local nurseries
hort science
ect..ect

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies