Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Loc: England.
Re: Recommended legal psychoactive plants to grow. [Re: JaguarWarrior101]
    #4049072 - 04/13/05 04:09 AM (19 years, 8 days ago)

Calea grows fast given lots of moisture (but don't have it soaking wet all the time), lots of light but not too much intense sun, and temps around 20*C. It is fairly hardy to cold temps, but don't let young plants freeze. Also, cut back on water when it's cold. It branches freely and the branches are quite easy to cut of and root in soil, giving more plants.... Calea seed has a low germination rate, but the seedlings are apparently easy to take care of. A bit of general-purpose fertiliser helps when it's growing fast, something like a 20-20-20, following the instructions on the packet.
Heimia is very easy to grow from seed. It grows slowly at first but starts to grow much faster when it's reached a few inches tall. It also branches freely, but I never tried to take a cutting from it. This plant has very long roots, and needs quite large pots to do well, even when small. Also, don't plant them too close together, because if you do they will have to compete for nutrients and root space and this will slow them down. They also like bright light, but not as much water as calea.

I don't have much experience with the other seeds...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJaguarWarrior101
ShamanicAlchemist InTraining
Male User Gallery

Loc: State of Euphoria
Re: Recommended legal psychoactive plants to grow. [Re: Openminded]
    #4049179 - 04/13/05 05:24 AM (19 years, 7 days ago)

Thanks for the info Openminded, I have 100 calea seeds on the way, I ordered extra because I knew about the low germination rate.
I plan on growing them outside, and thought Canadian weather might work well for it. Although the summers here can get rather hot 30-36*C I believe,
and winters can get as cold as -30-40*c sometimes. I wonder if these plants can over winter here?
(I thought I read they were frost resistant and inhabited cold mountain areas, so maybe they can do it.)
I could keep them in my garage for the winter, or indoors if need be.
If they can survive winter I"ll plant them outside. How far apart do they need to be planted?
If they can't survive outside all year I'd like to grow them in pots so I can move them as necessary. What size pots would you recommend?

--------------------
The above post is purely hypothetical, and should not be considered the true thoughts, opinions, or actions of a real life person.

We perceive. This is hard fact. But what we perceive is not a fact of the same kind, because we learn what to perceive.
~Carlos Castaneda

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

#4049291 - 04/13/05 06:15 AM (19 years, 7 days ago)

I tried to leave one outside over winter here, and it died. It probably didn't ever get below -5*C here, so -30*C might be pushing it! Although, having said that, the plant I left outside wasn't very strong, since I had just taken some cuttings from it. I'm sure an established plant could handle frost, but maybe not a frost that hard! They shouldn't mind heat I don't think if you keep them well watered, and maybe with some shade if the sun is very intense. But I'm not sure, because it never gets that hot here so I don't have experience at those temperatures!
Make sure they still get light when you take them inside. I did that and they started to look a bit unhealthy because it wasn't bright enough. Also if you have air conditioning the air might be a bit on the dry side in your house, they like a bit of humidity.
I'm not sure how far apart they will need to be, but once growing they can grow fast in the right conditions, so they could quickly get crowded. If I were you I'd sow them in seed trays, and then maybe transplant the seedlings straight into 10" pots. Pots of this size should be enough for at least the first year.

Edit: this should give you some idea of how fast they can grow. Here is my last surviving cutting on the 1st of this month:

And here it is today, 12 days later. Sure, it hasn't grown very much, but you have to bear in mind that it is not a strong plant, it is small and it is growing inside without very good lighting. 12 days ago this was almost dead!

When it gets some more leaves it will really take off...

Edited by Openminded (04/13/05 06:22 AM)

OfflineJaguarWarrior101
Male User Gallery

#4050700 - 04/13/05 01:53 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

I wonder how they would fair under a grow light, for the winter months.
Would they go dormant and not require much at that time?

--------------------
The above post is purely hypothetical, and should not be considered the true thoughts, opinions, or actions of a real life person.

We perceive. This is hard fact. But what we perceive is not a fact of the same kind, because we learn what to perceive.
~Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
    #4050914 - 04/13/05 02:36 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

100 calea seeds will probably not yield even 1 sprout but hopefully you will get lucky.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

OfflineJaguarWarrior101
Male User Gallery

Re: Recommended legal psychoactive plants to grow. [Re: Stonehenge]
    #4051042 - 04/13/05 03:09 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

I've heard a 30% germination rate of calea seeds, which might be higher than reality.
Lorax posted here that 500+ seeds gave him 60 plants. I'm only aiming for 4-5 plants, but as long as I get at least one, I'll be happy.

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
    #4053054 - 04/14/05 12:56 AM (19 years, 7 days ago)

Ok ok, you even msged me to get in here and talk so here it is.

HBRW, you need to take sand paper and grind the crap out of the seed so you can see the fleshy layer at a few points. I normally do two sides with 50 grit sandpaper. I tried some nail filer before, didn't work that well.

I start all of my plant seeds this way normally, take a wet paper towel, squeeze it so it is only slightly damn. Then you put the seeds in the towel and place in the Tupperware container. You then put this someplace warm, I have a old stove that burns pilot lights, I place it on top of that which is quite warm to the touch actually. You can place on top of fridge, computer monitor, near the heater vent, etc etc. Tv get warm, playstations etc, etc. Anything that produces heat is good for incubation of seeds. Next check up on the seeds in a day or two... if they have sprouted even a tiny bit to soil they go. Do not exceed 3 days in the incubator, the seeds will get water logged or moldy.

Note: This is only for semi large seeds really. For small seeds I do not bother with this level of seed propitiation. For small seeds like catnip, papvers (poppies), etc seeds that are only a millimeter squared or so I don't see the point.

The technique above works very very well. Even if nothing has sprouted, go directly to soil in 3 or 4 days max and they will grow faster. The initial heat phase wakes up the seed, then the cold shock from the seed going to soil will cause it too sprout. This is what happens in nature which triggers the plant to grow.

Cacti: You need to place the cacti seeds on top of a cactus soil, or you can make your own. I just buy standard cacti soil mix, has some sand in it and perilite, etc. You place the soil in container or pot, then you place the seeds on top of the soil. You will have almost 100% germination if you follow the proceedure correctly note (assuming you have seeds that are not 10 years old). You need initially a very humid environment that is warm for the cacti. You can either place the pot or whatever in a plastic zip lock bag, you can put secure saran wrap over the top or you can buy a propogation chamber. A propogation chamber is the best choice if you are doing this a lot. These trays only cost a meger $5-$10 from your local gardening or hydroponics store. Also you can get a heating pad at your hydroponics store for $20 that will heat the entire propogation tray, useful for seedlings and cacti. The cacti will pin after awhile. Little green dots will appear, after a little time has elapsed from this stage you remove the cacti seedling from the humid environment. Note this stage is extremely important, you have accomplished pinning the cacti and now they don't need that humid environment any more. Actually now you need to remove the seedling to someplace with light but no water, I like a window sill. Do not water the seedlings, first of all this will kill your cacti since they have not rooted yet and they will fall over and die, next cacti hate water at this stage and have plenty of it in the soil still. If you leave the cacti in the humidity chamber too long, it with die or get all red, it has too much water. You barely ever have to water a cacti, the soil is normally very dry in the desert. Then the cacti get bigger, very slowly.

Saliva D plants: These like fast draining soil, you need to mix either coca coir or perilite in the soil at a rate of 20-40% these products. Only water your saliva plant when the soil is fully dried, this also goes for all plants generally. If you have the soil always damp it leads to root rot, your plants die. In the case of saliva, they don't die with lots of water, they just don't grow. Saliva's love humidity... but they do fine without it. You can just mist it occasionally or if you really care, but a humidity tent with some painters plastic from home depo and pvc or buy a green house. Saliva does great once established for cuttlings. Wherever you cut, you want todo so right where a brach has broken out, so the longest point of the stem will be with your cuttling. They love rooting hormone as well, and root rather quickly.

Kratom: This plant is similar to salvia in the soil, it is a hearty little plant and grows too a tree. Cutlings don't seem to like rooting hormones and take a good while to root as well.

Morning Glories: These just grow in normal soil no problems.

Poppies: These like the outdoors, good luck indoors. They need lots of light and not too much humidity.

Vocana Africa: Use the seed propation technique above, works wonders.

Mimosa Hostilis: easy to grow from seed, just place in soil and boom.

Psychotria Viridis: PINA to come from seed but if you must; boil water, let it cool some, place seeds overnight, sow seeds the next day. Good luck, you will need it.

Bugs: If you are indoors, bugs are a big probelm. If outdoors nature will help you with other bugs but it still can be a probelm. Aphids can level your crop in a matter of two weeks, tiny black ones. The best means for pertection is the naturely occuring neem oil. This comes form the neem plant, mix with water in a spray bottle and be sure to shake the bottle each time before misting. The oil smells pretty narly and it also leaves a white residue on the plants and soil but it is not harmful and can be wiped off or washed off with no worries.

You can also use sticky traps or some lady bugs to combat pests. You don't really want to use commercial pestidies, but you can if you would like. I mean your food contains lots of pestidies, even some countries we import fruit from still use DDT since it is the cheapest means of pestitides, even though it does cause cancer.

Fertilizer: Be careful, most soil has it already premixed. When your plant has grown to a signifant size, you can start using it. Don't try to rush your seedlings with fertilizer, they will die. Follow the instructions for the fertilizer mixing with proper amounts of soil, too much is bad for you plants.

I think that covers a lot. One note might I add is that plants that are difficult to grow from seed, salvia d, kratom, psychotria virids, etc. some are possible others are just a waste of time. You can order the plant if you want one as well. You can get viridis plants for $15 in some places. When 10 seeds are 10 dollars, why even bother with it?

I really don't like seeds that cost $1 personally, I have come to the deduction to just by the plant at that stage.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

OfflineJaguarWarrior101
Male User Gallery

Re: Recommended legal psychoactive plants to grow. [Re: Fluxburn]
    #4053483 - 04/14/05 04:48 AM (19 years, 7 days ago)

Thanks Fluxburn, great post! :thumbup:

--------------------

~Carlos Castaneda

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
    #4054536 - 04/14/05 11:49 AM (19 years, 6 days ago)

Concerning your PM, I am not the most qualified person to give you tips on the plants i've suggested, but i can provide you with some links and tell you some of my personal experience in growing them.

Psychotria Viridis:
Stonehenge's post on growing Viridis: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post3337897
Ringworm's tek for propagation through leaf cuttings:
http://forums.ayahuasca.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2656&start=0

As for psychotria, all i can tell you is that i was sent a bunch of fresh leaves by a shroomerite last october and i now have 3 saplings on their own pots which are apparently doing well. There are still a couple more ready to be cut from the leaves and transplanted.
The separated plants are still small so they are living in a mini-greenhouse w/ fluoro's. Don't know how well they'll do when i remove them from the greenhouse.

Cacti:
The Nook's cacti archives. All the info you need for successfully grow cacti. Be sure to surf through all the links for growing, preparation and extraction info: http://archives.thenook.org/2366.html

I took all my info from there and my cacti look happy and grow fast. One is having a sunburn problem but i think it will be fine.

Mimosa, Desmanthus:

There isn't much info on growing these.
Mimosa is from tropical regions so it won't stand cold temps very well.

In order to germinate the seeds (both species) they need to be soaked in boiling hot water to break dormancy.

With both of these i had success germinating the seeds but didn't manage to get them to live longer than a month or so afterwards.
Perhaps they would have survived had i inoculated the soil with N fixing bacteria as they're leguminosae...

As for salvia and kratom i can't give you any info as i haven't attempted to grow them yet. I will soon enough though.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: Recommended legal psychoactive plants to grow. [Re: esin]
    #4054645 - 04/14/05 12:19 PM (19 years, 6 days ago)

Mimosa hostilis are the ones that need to be put in hot water and set overnight, not p viridis.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

OfflineJaguarWarrior101
Male User Gallery

#4055772 - 04/14/05 05:07 PM (19 years, 6 days ago)

Thanks esin! :thumbup:

This thread has turned into one great collection of information for psychedelic plant growing. :headbanger:

--------------------

~Carlos Castaneda

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
    #4057804 - 04/15/05 05:52 AM (19 years, 5 days ago)

I didn't say psychotria needs to be set in hot water, Stoney. I didn't even mention Psychotria germination at all...

OfflineJaguarWarrior101
Male User Gallery

Re: Recommended legal psychoactive plants to grow. [Re: esin]
    #4059068 - 04/15/05 01:48 PM (19 years, 5 days ago)

Esin I think he was referring to Fluxburn's post.
Psychoria Viridis does seem to be quite difficult to germinate from seed: http://www.erowid.org/plants/psychotria/psychotria_cultivation1.shtml

--------------------

~Carlos Castaneda

OfflineJaguarWarrior101
Male User Gallery

#4059486 - 04/15/05 03:29 PM (19 years, 5 days ago)

Anyone have experiences with Kanna?

Or Blue Lotus?

The experiences on Erowid seem positive for these plants, I wonder about their cultivation.

--------------------

~Carlos Castaneda

Edited by JaguarWarrior101 (04/15/05 04:00 PM)

OfflineJaguarWarrior101
Male User Gallery

#4059956 - 04/15/05 05:17 PM (19 years, 5 days ago)

--------------------

~Carlos Castaneda

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

#4060003 - 04/15/05 05:27 PM (19 years, 5 days ago)

Sceletium (kanna) is easy to grow, but seems variable in its effects. Some people say it does nothing, others get fairly strong effects. I find it gets me feeling back to normal when I'm feeling down, but don't really get high off it. Preparation seems fairly important, and it seems that there is a bit of skill involved in bringing out the plant's potential. It's a nice plant though, and well worth the $5 or so that it will cost you for seeds. It also grows fairly fast, so you'll have a nice plant within a year. It likes lots of light but not too much heat (seems to be a spring grower in the northern hemisphere), and although it does not like being wet, it's best if the soil isn't totally dry for more than a few days while it's growing. It likes constant moisture, but not constant wetness. A light soil is good too, don't plant it in anything too dense or clay-like. Plants with similar effects are pleiospilos bolusii, a lithop-like mesemb called "skeng-skeng" by the people who used it (I think), whose active component is also mesembrine, apparently. I'm groing this as well as p. nelii, which I think is also mildly active, although I have no experience with the effects of these yet. They're neat little plants though, and worth growing if you can. Also, you could try delosperma bosseranum. This is a small mesemb that is very easy to grow from seed, it has a large taproot which can apparently be used in a similar way to sceletium. I have several plants growing, but have not tried a bioassay yet. Interestingly, most people who have tried it seem to prefer it to sceletium. My plants are small and are already making flower buds, so it should be easy to grow it, get some seed, harvest the roots and then plant more for next year. The roots on my plants (roughly four months old) are just starting to swell up, so I should be able to try it quite soon... Again, it is important that you use a soil that does not compact too much. The roots need light soil to form properly.
I have no experience at all with the lotus, but from what I've read, it seems very pleasant....

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

#4060020 - 04/15/05 05:30 PM (19 years, 5 days ago)

I also have two khat plants, but mine are not doing very well. My parents looked after them for two months, and they didn't do very well, but even before that the plants weren't very healthy. They HATE too much water in my experience, and like bright light but not too much direct sun (at least when young), but that is about as much help I can give you on this species...

OfflineJaguarWarrior101
Male User Gallery

#4060026 - 04/15/05 05:33 PM (19 years, 5 days ago)

Thanks for the info Openminded. :thumbup:

--------------------

~Carlos Castaneda

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

#4060038 - 04/15/05 05:34 PM (19 years, 5 days ago)

That's OK! I just hope it makes sense, because I'm quite drunk at the moment....

OfflineJaguarWarrior101
Male User Gallery

#4060050 - 04/15/05 05:38 PM (19 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

Openminded said:
That's OK! I just hope it makes sense, because I'm quite drunk at the moment....

:lol:
Ok, well next time your sober, double check it, and see if you made any mistakes.

--------------------

~Carlos Castaneda

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck