Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

Re: STORE BOUGHT BAGGED MANURE & "SO CALLED" COMPOST: [Re: Holydiver]
    #4063451 - 04/16/05 08:14 PM (19 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

Diver said:
Quote:

onetime said:
so dose that mean that when i go to seattle and buy the prep pastureized High Mountain compost they they reselll that i am not getting real compost ?

HMC is mushroom specific compost, of course it's the real thing. You aren't paying $3.50/pound for spent mushroom farm substrate, I assure you that.

i well i was saying tthat not all "store bought" composts are shitty becouse here you can go to the store and buy a marked up version of hmc they wont say if its the same stuff or not buy if its not than its a clone of equal value they sell them for like 25$ per bag must be 5-10 lb bags then there is a organic farm in snoqamie valley that has a really good compost i have had good results with the organic forest matter that you can buy at lowes a few yrs ago of coures that was yrs ago when i was frist starting and we lost it to gnats and worms due to not pasturizeing it most any thing that is cerified organic you will have good results with straw would be better for n00bs that dont have access to good compost

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshobimono
Why?
Re: STORE BOUGHT BAGGED MANURE & "SO CALLED" COMPOST: [Re: agar]
    #4064768 - 04/17/05 03:28 AM (19 years, 3 days ago)

I agree that store bought bagged manure is not even close to real horse poo. This is not to say mushrooms can't be grown on it, but as Agar has mentioned, it is less (a lot) then optimal.
Foaf had some bagged manure he had used before he got real horse poo.

Here are a couple pics of it.

Here is the bagged manure

Here is a pile straight from the bag.

This is an interesting pic. It is the pile after it has been screened through a 1/2" screen and a 1/4" screen.

The pile in the upper right is the big chunks of wood (and plastic baling string) that did not make it through the 1/2" screen. The pile in the lower right is the wood and stones that did not make it through the 1/4" screen, and the big pile is what made it through both screens.

The plastic baling string was in the bag and part of the "compost". As Agar has mentioned, there is a lot of wood product in this compost. Both piles on the right in the 3rd pic are mostly wood, and even the pile that made it through both screens has a high content of wood.

The other major component of this compost is dirt. Leeching this steer manure is like playing in the mud! It's messy and muddy, whereas horse poo is more like mixing coir.

In comparison, here is some screened aged horse poo.

This horse poo that has been screened through both the 1/2" and 1/4" screen. Everything made it through both screens. There is no wood product in it and it was not "muddy" when leeching to pasturize.

Bagged compost and horse poo are like cars, they will both get you were you want to go, but the horse poo is the ferrari, while bagged compost is the pinto.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: STORE BOUGHT BAGGED MANURE & "SO CALLED" COMPOST: [Re: shobimono]
    #4064787 - 04/17/05 03:45 AM (19 years, 3 days ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineLast Apprentice
Stranger
Re: STORE BOUGHT BAGGED MANURE & "SO CALLED" COMPOST: [Re: agar]
    #12915803 - 07/18/10 03:10 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

www.blackkow.com/_html/howitsmade.htm

If anyone is interested, this site will show how they make "Black kow" manure.  If the photos and the info is accurate from their end, this stuff can offer some possibility's to the savy pasturer.

I have seen horse manure loaded into beds and phase 2 composted with remarkable results.

InvisibleDragonaut

Re: STORE BOUGHT BAGGED MANURE & "SO CALLED" COMPOST: [Re: Last Apprentice]
    #12916123 - 07/18/10 04:36 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
:dragon:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale