Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesmellybart
Stranger
Casing Overlay *Updated with SUCCESS pics
    #4052580 - 04/13/05 10:24 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Hey all,

No batteries for the camera, but we all know what overlay looks like from the casing FAQ:

"Overlay occurs if one or several of the factors play together:
carbon dioxide levels are too high ( = too little air exchange)
casing surface is too dry
the relative humidity of the air is too low
the temperature in the fruiting chamber is too high"

From the Apprentice Tek:

"It is caused by prolonged vegetative growth temperatures, high CO2 levels, and excessive humidity"

Alright, my temp is 72 and I have this casing in a plastic tote, so I probably have not enough air exchange and too much humidity because of it. I hadn't been misting much, but the walls and lid are constantly slippery with condensation. I've been fanning a few times a day.

These two guides conflict each other with respect to humidity, but I'm guessing that it's a subtlety in that you want high humidity with lots of air circulation. I've done some searches but can anyone clarify?

My casing was incubated for 1.5 days and it milked up real fast. In the fruiting chamber it has continued to milk up quite a bit, not as much as the above pic but with more even splotches of white. It has now been 3 days since trying to start fruiting. The container is a blue non-transparent type, but it glows through the lid and sides I am sure and I've heard this is enough light for pinning to start. Can anyone help me out?

Cheers

Edited by smellybart (04/22/05 04:53 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing Overlay [Re: smellybart]
    #4052650 - 04/13/05 10:51 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

If you have less air circulation, drop humidity down. If theres mist constantly on the walls and everything looks constantly moist, dont mist. Fan as much as you can. Patch areas that come up RIGHT when they come up. If they get 2-4+ days of pinning triggers (light and air) then IMO its better to not patch.

The light sounds like enough, though you may have directional "problems"...it shouldnt really be a problem though...

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineDarkie
Bitches n hoes dont mean a thing
 User Gallery

Re: Casing Overlay [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4052660 - 04/13/05 10:59 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I think overlay is caused by dead mycelia cells on top of live ones that prevent the live ones from growing out. Like patched of dead skin (from a blister for example) over live skin. What ever can kill mycelia cells can produce overlay, ie suffocation, over-misting, no nutrition, etc.

I've had live mycelia almost an inch thick that then went on to produce mushies. I've had over lay under the casing's (top layer) surface. So be nice to your mycelia and it wont overlay.

Basically, 'overlay' is waaaaaay down on my fears list when it comes to growing. Somewhere right between my humidifier catching fire and alerting the authorities and my mushrooms hacking into my home's security box and calling the police. :piggy: :chainsaw:

--------------------
You gotta wake up to get faded but you gotta get up to get paided.

Offlinesmellybart
Stranger
Re: Casing Overlay [Re: Darkie]
    #4052945 - 04/14/05 12:21 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the replies!

scatmanrav: I'll get to patching ASAP. Thanks for the advice.

Darkie: It's good to hear that this casing can still do alright.

Cheers

Offlinesmellybart
Stranger
Re: Casing Overlay [Re: smellybart]
    #4085669 - 04/22/05 04:29 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Patched it and the casing turned out great!!

Yonder mush:

Thanks you guys!

Cheers

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck