Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Oyster Shell, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Loc: you'll shoot yer eye out ...
B+ Grow Log (no pics, sorry!)
    #4052105 - 04/13/05 10:04 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

**This is a new for me, I've never done grain before!! I HAD decided to do 12, 1QT. jars with Penningtons WBS with Karo B+ syringes. I pussied out and did 10, 1/2 pt PF jars, and did 3, 1qt WBS jars today/yesterday (4-13-05). The WBS jars should be cooling down now, and I'm going to innoc' them tomorrow with a healthy B+ Karo solution.

The birdseed was soaked for 17 hours, and I opted not to simmer them. I've heard it can be done either way. The 1qt jars were loaded 1/2 way after the WBS was strained well for 40 minutes. They were PC'd for 75 minutes @ 15lbs. Jars were shaken after PC'ing to distribute the moisture. This is also my first time using any other top than a double stacked aluminum foil lid (as per the PF TEK). I'm using 2 layers of Tyvek, and the lids are drilled 1/3 in holes with Polyfill pulled through the lids, then the ring was put on. After that, I put a layer of aluminum foil on and rubber banded that.

Does this setup sound good??

I'm getting another syringe of B+ and one Cambodian syringe from SporesDirect, which I plan on Karo'ing and put on WBS.

So, what kind of casing tecnique do you sugguest for all this??

How long will it take for those 1qt jars to filly colonize?? I haven't done it like that beofre. I know this meathod with shaking will decrease time for colonization.

Thanks
Sammy

--------------------

I believe in the Golden Rule ? The Man with the Gold . . . Rules.
- Mr. T

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineindole
arf

Re: B+ Grow Log (no pics, sorry!) [Re: Sammy]
    #4055850 - 04/14/05 07:33 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

no need to do both double layered tyvek with polyfil, you are going to end up slowing colonization time a little with less air flow, but i am thinking for half of the jars to be unoccupied threre is enough air, try safely choosing your method to filter the air, search the forums to get an idea what is optimal for your setup.

Peace.

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: B+ Grow Log (no pics, sorry!) [Re: indole]
    #4056363 - 04/14/05 10:23 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Use 50/50+ for your casing. I'm currently using the same and it's working like a charm. Be careful on the hydrated lime measurement. Stick to the recipe/brand recommended and you'll be fine.

Head on out to a local feed-store and pick up some crushed oyster shells for the mix. I bought a 50# bag for $12.99 vs. a small box from a pet store for $2-$3 a pop at 2 boxes a mix. If you don't know where a local feed-store is, check the yellow pages. Unless you live in NY City or Chicago there should be one in your area.

Here is a tip on the poly fill: After you stuff the drilled hole, give both ends a slight haircut so both ends are frayed. The needle will go in much smoother and you will have less of a chance of bending the needle. You only want to use one layer of the Tyvek for the same reason. Going through two layers may be a bit much.

Good luck.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Oyster Shell, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation