Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJon
Learning to make music
    #4051904 - 04/13/05 09:06 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Im interested in making music with computers. Electronica kind of thing. Well I was wondering where to start, my parents are willing to invest into my studies and I plan to take advantage of that. First off, are there any institutes where I can take courses on learning to make music on the computer? And if you were in my wealthy situation, what equipment would you buy to get yourself started? I know im not gonna be able to make any Sphongle kind of stuff for now, but I like DJ's and stuff like that, I thought it might be a good time to pursue an interest. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelilbilski4life
fear andloathing inbozeman

Re: Learning to make music [Re: Jon]
    #4051926 - 04/13/05 09:12 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

furtiy loop :laugh:

--------------------
------------------------------------------------

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

Re: Learning to make music [Re: lilbilski4life]
    #4051948 - 04/13/05 09:17 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

www.mxforums.net got everything ya need

--------------------

http://www.bruceeisner.com/ -Creating a Sensible Culture

OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

Loc: new new england
Re: Learning to make music [Re: Jon]
    #4051978 - 04/13/05 09:26 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

get yourself a copy of fruity loops. its probably the easiest program for a beginner, hey I still use it myself (only because i have no drummer).

I dont know of any institutes that will teach you how to make electronica type music, however there are many universities that offer degrees in music and sound recording, etc.

of course, with those, you'll only learn technical shit. no one can teach you to be an artist.

you'd be much better off learning to play an instrument. a guitar teacher can teach you how to play guitar, but then you're on your own for writing music. just like there are teachers who can teach you to use certain programs, but not neccesarily how to create music with them.

music is all about timing and differences of pitch. I say you should take some piano lessons or something.
If you dont develop a musical ear and learn some basics, music will be nothing more than a very frustrating hobby.

OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

Loc: new new england
Re: Learning to make music [Re: BoneMan]
    #4051981 - 04/13/05 09:28 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

im sorry, i wrote that whole post assuming that you have no musical background.. i apologise if thats not the case.

Offlinechemistry
One.
 User Gallery

Re: Learning to make music [Re: BoneMan]
    #4052018 - 04/13/05 09:38 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

hey man just fuck around. theres plenty of schools you can go to in order to learn how to make music. you would be aiming at audio production and song writing rather then formal training in playing an instrument. i myself make music for a hobby, i play some instruments and fuck around with some more electronic stuff on my computer. i use reason 2.5 and a 24 key sequencer. if your making music thats not gonna be recorded from live instruments its the same place regular live music is gonna go anyway. live music gets made, that it gets produced. with electronic music, the boundaries between playing the music and producing it kind of gets blurred i guess since you could do it all on the computer. don't be afraid to implement live instruments and sample live instruments. just fuck around man.

--------------------
c h e m i s t r y

Offlineotoroko
EsotericIllumination

Re: Learning to make music [Re: chemistry]
    #4052782 - 04/14/05 01:42 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Get Cubase or some other sequencer/multitrack system and VST instruments + sample CD/DVD:s etc. You will learn to operate the "real" software and
it will sound much better than fruity etc. You could try studying something involving studio engineering etc. but I don't think you can just go somewhere and learn to make "electronika", sounds absurd.

--------------------
when you're watching television the higher brain regions (like the midbrain and the neo-cortex) are shut down, and most activity shifts to the lower brain regions (like the limbic system). The right hemisphere is twice as active as the left, a neurological anomaly. The crossover from left to right releases a surge of the body?s natural opiates: endorphins, which include beta-endorphins and enkephalins. Endorphins are structurally identical to opium and its derivatives (morphine, codeine, heroin, etc.).After just 30 seconds of watching television the brain begins to produce alpha waves, which indicates torpid (almost comatose) rates of activity.

OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

Re: Learning to make music [Re: otoroko]
    #4053430 - 04/14/05 05:29 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i say use reason

it comes with a reasonably nice soundbank and is like "fisher price - my first sequencer"

--------------------
:royalrainbow:I love rolling... my Katamari!!!:royalrainbow:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media