Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Reznor Interview
    #4050065 - 04/13/05 11:44 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

For anyone interested.  Bring on the anti-NIN flames. :smirk:

Rock Sound Interview with Trent Reznor

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
Re: Reznor Interview [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4050265 - 04/13/05 12:31 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

This guy will be giving this same interview approximately every 5 years.

Male

Re: Reznor Interview [Re: lackobreath]
    #4050355 - 04/13/05 12:50 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

True.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisiblethePatient
Criminal Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana Flag
    #4052099 - 04/13/05 08:03 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Do you get emotional when making your own music?

"I've become desensitised to my own stuff because I've heard it about 400 times in the last month. But usually it comes in the form of goosebumps. I've got that listening back to 'The Fragile' recently. That's my equivalent of crying."

i really enjoyed the fragile.
thanks for the link.

--------------------
T h e r e  a r e  n o  o r d i n a r y  m o m e n t s.

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
    #4052636 - 04/13/05 10:44 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
Bring on the anti-NIN flames. :smirk:

Trent Renzor is a pussy ass son of a bitch who took Skinny Puppys music and made it accessible to the MTV crowd while diluting both the musical and lyrical quality.  Instead of creating something original, he listened to some Skinny Puppy and said "I could just about do this."  So, he just about did, and then got famous from the diluted project. 

This isn't to say that he isn't good, he did a good job of copying skinny puppy and watering them down, it's just to say his technical skill cannot cover up his utter lack of originality.

Will that do?

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflineSKINNYDOGGY
synth junky

Re: Reznor Interview [Re: tomk]
    #4053330 - 04/14/05 02:18 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

tomk said:
Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
Bring on the anti-NIN flames. :smirk:

Trent Renzor is a pussy ass son of a bitch who took Skinny Puppys music and made it accessible to the MTV crowd while diluting both the musical and lyrical quality.  Instead of creating something original, he listened to some Skinny Puppy and said "I could just about do this."  So, he just about did, and then got famous from the diluted project. 

This isn't to say that he isn't good, he did a good job of copying skinny puppy and watering them down, it's just to say his technical skill cannot cover up his utter lack of originality.

Will that do?

YEP!!!! You right on the mark with that

--------------------
Feels Like Heaven Taste Like Shit

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Reznor Interview [Re: SKINNYDOGGY]
    #4053397 - 04/14/05 02:54 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

guess he did that with Doom III also....that no talent bastard, making original soundtracks for game audio...... (psssst, try not to regurgitate everything you read from crap music magazines)

OfflineSKINNYDOGGY
synth junky

Re: Reznor Interview [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #4055010 - 04/14/05 01:47 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I can't say he is a no talent bastard. but i can say he did for industrial what Green day did for Punk !
i don't play too many video games so i do not vary so much care about doom3
but i do know he is not the first musician to put music on a game
and i don't read music magazines
i do like some old nin and if the new cd is good i will not make myself rip it apart but ill call it how i see it.

--------------------
Feels Like Heaven Taste Like Shit

OfflineMetatrad

Re: Reznor Interview [Re: SKINNYDOGGY]
    #4056415 - 04/14/05 08:48 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

http://www.playlouder.com/feature/+nineinchnails-0/

Another great interview.

*transports back in time to 1989*
Blahblhblahblblhab Skinny Puppy blahblhab Industrial blahblha MTV blahablll

Edit: My point is that tomk's argument is as stupid as saying Zeppelin sucks because they ripped off a few blues songs.

Edited by Metatrad (04/14/05 08:55 PM)

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Reznor Interview [Re: Metatrad]
    #4056499 - 04/14/05 09:08 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I don't care where NIN got their inspiration from, but there is nothing... absolutely nothing that reminds me of skinny puppy from them. I don't care if he listened to them before writing every song, he didn't dilute skinny puppy because his music isn't on the same plane as skinny puppy.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Reznor Interview [Re: looner2]
    #4056646 - 04/14/05 09:44 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Exactly, I've listened to a bunch of industrial, and I've heard a hell of a lot of Skinny Puppy rip offs, and NIN simply doesn't count.

The only reason industrial people hate NIN is because he became a mainstream success and ruined their chance to love a genre of music that's totally underground.

And don't give me that bullshit about watering down Skinny Puppy's lyrics, they were a great band, but their lyrics were just the usual angsty goth bullshit. To write a Skinny Puppy song, all you need is to make a list of negative and melodramatic sounding words. like "remorse, heartless, knife cuts, pain, dementia, dying rose" then just throw them on the page at random.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: Reznor Interview [Re: Phluck]
    #4057422 - 04/15/05 12:59 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

"alternative - mass control
diversification and guilt

jealousy prejudice
the courage to be themselves... often hated

aims to make individual freedom
spiritual bounds mental shackles
to heal the wound of separation
to question the unquestioning of the mind

offers an alternative to mass control
the center of the information war

progressed
we have progressed

physically as far as we can go... next stage mental
the process is you

justification decentralized by conditioned guilt
fear responses
realize
for individuals who wish to acquire

sigil to the will
give the mind before which is a function of the self to react
and this focusing releases a tremendous energy

as the concourse lowers positive flow of energy

so be it
the process
so be it

body like mindedness
ageless souls
striving for individual matters
toward collective goals
a guiltless state of self awareness
the process is you
the process is yours"

More then that.

I don't think Trent Renzor is a sellout, because in order to be a sellout you must first have credibility. That would be like Hansen selling out, or Backstreet boys selling out.

He is not a copycat. He is to industrial what kenny G is to jazz. Don't get me wrong, he's better to kenny G, but lets not act like Renzor is an enourmous creative genious here. I mean, come on man, come on.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Reznor Interview [Re: tomk]
    #4057476 - 04/15/05 01:23 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

but lets not act like Renzor is an enourmous creative genious here. I mean, come on man, come on.

Compared to what? It's not like the industrial world is filled with wonderful genius. It's filled with poser rebellion and angst, as well as the belief that the less accesible and dissonant your music is, the closer it is to genius.

Reznor is clearly more musically talented than the majority of industrial artists out there. He can write an actual song. That's not to say that all industrial artists are bad, there are plenty of good ones.

He created his own unique sound which merged the anger and noise of industrial with some pretty competant melody and ended up with a pretty good mix. It doesn't make him a supergenius, but just pretty good. At least as good as the next super-pretentious, overhyped band, like Tool.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

Male

#4058028 - 04/15/05 08:43 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

LA Times Article

Here's another good article on him. I had no idea he'd ever dipped into heroin, much less OD'ed.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
    #4059020 - 04/15/05 01:29 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

To those of you who don't think NIN took anything from SP's music, I can give 2 good places to look:

Compare for yourself:
Skinny Puppy - Mind, The Perpetual Intercourse - Track 8 - Dig It
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine - Track 3 - Down In It

Skinny Puppy - Cleanse, Fold & Manipulate - Track 3 - Shadow Cast
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral - Track 7 - The Becoming

If you still don't think Reznor took just a bit from Skinny Puppy's music you're a fool - it's a well-known fact.

I'm not saying he ripped it off, but he cut it pretty close on quite a few occasions. you know, there's a fine line between inspiration and plagiarism, but then again plagiarism is the ultimate form of flattery.

Edited by lackobreath (04/15/05 01:33 PM)

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Reznor Interview [Re: lackobreath]
    #4059051 - 04/15/05 01:45 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, and they were influenced by Cabaret Voltaire, Throbbing Gristle, Kraftwerk, etc...

Everyone has influences, and everyone has a few songs where they're blatantly apparent. Acting like NIN is somehow more derivative than anything else is silly. Reznor has as much credibility as Skinny Puppy, and with less gay haircuts.

--------------------

Male

#4059056 - 04/15/05 01:46 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
Yeah, and they were influenced by Cabaret Voltaire, Throbbing Gristle, Kraftwerk, etc...

Everyone has influences, and everyone has a few songs where they're blatantly apparent. Acting like NIN is somehow more derivative than anything else is silly. Reznor has as much credibility as Skinny Puppy, and with less gay haircuts.

:yesnod:

--------------------

-Erik Davis

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #4059148 - 04/15/05 02:07 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I know there is a Godsmack song that completely ripps off the second song on Broken.

For the record I think NIN is awesome, and I think Trent Reznor is an extremely intelligent and talented musician, even if it is true that he used up all the last possibilites for cool sounding lyrics. He is an artist and I don't think the genre or medium he draws from are that important. Pink Floyd was not the first psychedelic rock band, and most of the stuff they did had been done before, but nobody else was able to bring it all together into a cohesive experience and a work of art like them. I feel the same about Nine Inch Nails. It is not dance metal.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

OfflineMetatrad

Re: Reznor Interview [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #4060645 - 04/15/05 09:08 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The new album is amazing, btw. And there's nothing "industrial" about it. It's drums, guitar, bass, synth, a few production effects, and wonderful songs written and sung by Trent Reznor.

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

Re: Reznor Interview [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #4061285 - 04/16/05 12:26 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
guess he did that with Doom III also....that no talent bastard, making original soundtracks for game audio...... (psssst, try not to regurgitate everything you read from crap music magazines)

pssst, he dropped out of the Doom3 project.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom