Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon HEPA Filter, Humidity Meter, Mycobags, Paul Stamets, Portable Greenhouse, Scales, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
oyster logs in the martha - anyone ?
    #4049763 - 04/13/05 12:18 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

well i wonder if someone is having oyster mushroom logs hanging in his/her martha
and if so, he/she would like to share some experiences / pictures.

id love to see some in order to be able to evaluate the production figures,
talking how much oyster mushies one could yield hanging strawlogs in there.
peace ohm :mushroom2:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: oyster logs in the martha - anyone ? [Re: ohmatic]
    #4050498 - 04/13/05 03:15 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i'm ramping up to try this. i'm going to try a combination of straw logs and mycobag blocks. i'm not quite ready to devote time and energy and money to a room-sized "martha" for hanging columns. i would expect this smaller scale grow to work just perfectly, tho. i'm interested in accounts of relevant experience as well. IOW, me too, LoL.

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4050817 - 04/13/05 04:16 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

hahaha its funny you mention this because I'm planning on a trial run for some oyster tubes in a martha-like enclosure.  thats probably happening in early may.  oh yeah that glove box you were asking me about a year ago, well im almost about to test it  :grin:

as for expected performance in the martha, i think it would kick ass but constant air exchange has to occur so a coomist is likely a must.  for a footprint to estimate per log,...
if going with 8" diameter bags like me you will need like 6"+ of grow space all around the log so cant really pack a load of them into a martha.  at 8" diameter + 6" buffer on each side, assume a log takes up a 20" circle which is only like 1-3 max in some normal sized martha unit.  As for yeilds, the dude from south africa was saying he was pulling 10kg on a single flush from a 6 ft log (8" diameter) so i wouldnt expect the martha enviroment to really make that different.  As long as theres plenty of fresh air, should get the same yeilds.

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on.you'll see devils tearing your life away.
But...if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels
Freeing you from the earth.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: oyster logs in the martha - anyone ? [Re: Eightball]
    #4050937 - 04/13/05 04:42 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

You can do this but you need soemthing worked out for air exchange or at least air movement within the enclosure.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: oyster logs in the martha - anyone ? [Re: Eightball]
    #4051133 - 04/13/05 05:33 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Eightball said:
you will need like 6"+ of grow space all around the log so cant really pack a load of them into a martha

I'll definitely build my own "martha". PVC and plastic sheeting and contact cement will make quick work of it. i've done several walk-in "marthas" in this way for other projects. maybe not pack a load but leave some breathing room.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: oyster logs in the martha - anyone ? [Re: debianlinux]
    #4051143 - 04/13/05 05:34 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Paul Stamets filling rules still hold true for closet grows. 1/4-1/10 max volume is substrate.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: oyster logs in the martha - anyone ? [Re: YidakiMan]
    #4051170 - 04/13/05 05:40 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

YidakiMan said:
Paul Stamets filling rules still hold true for closet grows. 1/4-1/10 max volume is substrate.

precisely why i build my own. i can design the structure to accomadate the exact cropping area of the specific bins i use. also, i very much prefer walk-in as opposed to hands-and-arms-in. also any customisation such as air intake or misting nozzles can be built directly in. maybe i should drop a couple pics of some of my walk-ins. to me they're pretty basic but i guess some folks could benefit from a gander.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #4051516 - 04/13/05 06:59 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I was about to build a small 3x3x8 greenhouse out of PVC. I wouldn't mind a gander.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #4051677 - 04/13/05 07:41 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Do you have a misting system? Misters seem to be an effective method of temperature control versus ultrasonic foggers. The fog that comes off of mine seems warm to the touch.

Are there any misting systems that do not require being hooked up to the water system? Like one that hooked up to a culligan water dispenser? You could put the container in a kegerator to keep it cool. I know it would cost more, but I can't tap the water line in a rental apt.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4054056 - 04/14/05 11:51 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

YidakiMan said:
I was about to build a small 3x3x8 greenhouse out of PVC. I wouldn't mind a gander.

I got a little shutter happy but what the heck...

This is the main "airlock" entrance. You actually have to open a hinged door to access this.

This is the main airlock/passageway/entry to the "clean room". This is where I suit up, clean things, and may soon be hanging a few oyster columns. The fan in the floor is always on and blows directly at the doorway. I did this to prevent flies from entering and I suppose it works as I never have fly problems. Your looking at roughly 6' wide by ~30' long by 8' ceiling. This is all 6mil sheeting, duct tape, staples and contact cement.

I build the walk-ins inside the main clean room (not pictured). This is as good of a shot of the outside as I could get in the cramped quarters. It's just a PVC frame measuring 4'X4'X7'. All 6mil plastic is attached using contact cement. This particular walk-in has just recently been emptied as the last project has come to an end (it is Spring!). Excuse the mess.I actually threw together a dry-run example of what it looks like in operation. One thing I failed to picture is the modified HEPA unit that pipes air into all 3 walk-ins for some degree of positive pressure.

This is what you see when you 1st enter the "martha". Note the humidity guage, thermometer and misty-mate (for casings). The bins are hooked to a humidification system pictured below (an answer to the question in your next post). I've considered a mist-nozzle system but drainage is too much of a bitch. Each bin has a filtered computer fan intake. You probably can't see it but there are wire runs to each shelf. There is a single home-made power brick that can, theoretically, run 12-15 fans simultaneously and all runs are attached there.

To the left is a small shelf for setting utensils, doing general work, or it can also house 2 additional fruiting blocks/bins. Note the small HEPA. I found my green attacks went down drastically with this addition. I believe it protects the fungi from my clothes and hair and breath.

To the right is another shelf that typically houses 2 bins and the ultrasonic. Yeah, it's a mess atm. Sometimes the bottom shelf holds something in "incubation".

Here is a closer look at the ultrasonic rig. That's a 5 gallon bucket. Any unused ports are stoppered. Typical MMGG .5" fluted vinyl tubing and silicone sealant. When the bucket gets near full just pop the top, empty, sanitise, and replace. I've considered installing a drain valve but I suspect it is best to sanitise. The humidifier will adequately fog 4 bins for 3 days without refill. The Bucket fills up after ~2-3wks of constant use. The bucket solves the warmness problem as well as over-humidification. To get more or less moisture output on a given port just adjust the depth the tubing goes into the lid. To fruit blocks plastic sheeting is installed on the shelves to form enclosures. When the whole thing is up and running, even with bins, the rH stays right at 85%... perfect for casings.

last, but not least; i show off my flowhood. heehee. i failed to take pics of my incubation area as it is rather boring and straighforward. suffice to say that it is built under insulated stairs and utilises an oil-filled radiant heater and a bunch of wire shelving.

so, there's the nickel tour of debianlinux's gourmet grow shop.

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4054182 - 04/14/05 12:33 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

you know that i have been just thinking about doing EXACTLY the same thing as you did up there.

i planned of renting a small cellar somewhere and turn it into a gourmet/medicinal lab.

well basically, if i, on the first hand, have a market to sell em to :wink:
but if i do find out that i infact can sell them to a reasonable price,
you may soon see me posting bout the farm :laugh:

--------------------

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #4054214 - 04/14/05 12:39 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Awhile ago, creekfarmer posted in here, and said that flat roofs is really hard to control temp. versus domed roofs. Just something to consider.

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4054248 - 04/14/05 12:46 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

does domed roof mean an angled roof ?

if so, why should it be easier?

--------------------

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4054280 - 04/14/05 12:54 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

domed would imply cylindrical or hemispherical

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #4054496 - 04/14/05 01:41 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Well my plans for my enclosed shelf grow system include a domed/angled roof so that I can add an extra "emergency exhaust" on a cooling thermostat at the highest point in the enclosure.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon HEPA Filter, Humidity Meter, Mycobags, Paul Stamets, Portable Greenhouse, Scales, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms