Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTHEDANGLER
The Mushroom Tip
 User Gallery

log perduction
    #4046245 - 04/12/05 04:06 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i have about 30 oak logs cut ready for inocultaion i read you have to wait like 3 weeks to use them...can i soak in water to speed up the thime it takes befor use also should i soak befor inoculation? i am doing reishi and shiitake..how should i stake the logs for the 1st year..the 2nd...how often should i soak?

--------------------
TONS OF SPORES TO TRADE PM ME!!!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: log perduction [Re: THEDANGLER]
    #4046314 - 04/12/05 04:19 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

2-3 wks is sufficient for the natural anti-fungals to die down. if you can keep them somehwre clean during this period the better. don't soak until your ready for your first fruiting. the log has pretty much max moisture whn freshly felled. during incubation you can just dead stack the logs but use burlap or something or the mycelium will knit the logs together and the bark will rip off when you unstack them. i incubate mine in a garage just standing on end and crowded together ( they need to be occasionally rotated to keep even moisture distribution. as for further stacking i just lean mine with one end on the ground and the other in the air. just space them appropriately according to relative humidity. if it's the rainy season keep them spaced to prevent molds and if it is hot/dry, space them closely to provide shade and keep moisture in. if it is really windy then lean the logs closer to the ground. I highly recommend a small book titled "Growing Shiitake Commercially" It covers much of this material with pictures and is a quick read.

InvisibleTHEDANGLER
The Mushroom Tip
 User Gallery

Re: log perduction [Re: debianlinux]
    #4046566 - 04/12/05 05:15 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

so i should wrap each log(individualy) in burlp, i cant just have them in the open...i have a big ass pole barn can i just stack them in their..its geting into the 60's right now so it should be a nice temp in their..what about reishis i read you have to bury them..

--------------------
TONS OF SPORES TO TRADE PM ME!!!!

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#4046762 - 04/12/05 06:00 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

check this link
http://www.mushroompeople.com/logs.htm
also there is a great book i found to be an invaluable resource and i wish i read it before i started..
its called "Growing Shitake in a Continental Climate" and fungi.com sells it.. not sure where else you can get it, amazon.com was out of print..
good luck

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #4049671 - 04/13/05 11:33 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

THEDANGLER said:
so i should wrap each log(individualy) in burlp, i cant just have them in the open...i have a big ass pole barn can i just stack them in their..its geting into the 60's right now so it should be a nice temp in their..what about reishis i read you have to bury them..

there are lots of ways to do it. i'm just saying that if your going to dead stack then you have to insure that the logs are'nt all snuggled up together as the mycelium will knit them together. you can make layers where each layer has burlap draped over it. i am partial to my method, tho. i can fit many logs into not so much space.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms