Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKaydren
Mystic Hunter
 User Gallery
Cut my losses? Quite Literally... *Pics*
    #4042833 - 04/11/05 08:20 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

So, Theyve been colonizing for about 4 weeks now, and as you can see some of them are nice and nearly done, but others dont want to keep going... Ive read up on it, and just asking opinions of you gurus, should I hack uncolnoized pieces off and case them? or jsut let them try and colonize?

--------------------
----I excel in not giving a shit...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tardy to the Party
Re: Cut my losses? Quite Literally... *Pics* [Re: Kaydren]
    #4042890 - 04/11/05 08:37 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

how is your air exchange?

--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

OfflineNextKind
Cannabinoid

Re: Cut my losses? Quite Literally... *Pics* [Re: Crasher]
    #4042937 - 04/11/05 08:50 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah its ok to cut off some of the places that didnt colonize

OfflinePhotoguy
Drunk andJobless

Loc: Drunk in Texas
Re: Cut my losses? Quite Literally... *Pics* [Re: NextKind]
    #4044403 - 04/12/05 04:58 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The ones in the bottom picture... After for weeks its trash can time. You probably have either not optimal moisture content, OR bacterial problems. Either way, pitch them.

To be honest with you, those ones you have circled dont look to good to me either. I wouldn't want to case with those, there is just not enough there.

I would go back to the drawing board and try another batch. This time be very percise with water content, and just a suggestion, find your self some worm castings and add half a cup to the PF-Tek. My jars never take more than 10-15 days with worm castings added into them.

--------------------
You gotta check yo' self before you wreck yo' self

B, Z, F, Burma, Cambodian, Golden Teacher, Puerto Rico, South American, Costa Rica, African

My name is Ender Wiggen and I will own you soon. Bean is my second in command, he is PC'ing jars right now.

OfflineRetired
Re: Cut my losses? Quite Literally... *Pics* [Re: Photoguy]
    #4044428 - 04/12/05 05:16 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i had a slow growth so i took off the lid and put on a coffee filter it finished in just a day or so...maybe try that be carful of contam tho

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: Cut my losses? Quite Literally... *Pics* [Re: Retired]
    #4044892 - 04/12/05 09:10 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

My first successful casing was made from stunted cakes. It works.

OfflinePhotoguy
Drunk andJobless

Loc: Drunk in Texas
Re: Cut my losses? Quite Literally... *Pics* [Re: dr0mni]
    #4044927 - 04/12/05 09:30 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I totally agree about using some stunted cakes, but look at the jars in the bottom photograph. Those dont look like they have any growth on them at all. Putting that in a casing would just create a micro-enviroment for contaminates to grow, not to help produce mycelium.

Yes case the stunted jars, ones that are 75% or better, but those bottom ones, i would just pitch and redo those. IMHO.

--------------------
You gotta check yo' self before you wreck yo' self

B, Z, F, Burma, Cambodian, Golden Teacher, Puerto Rico, South American, Costa Rica, African

My name is Ender Wiggen and I will own you soon. Bean is my second in command, he is PC'ing jars right now.

Offlinebrianjamez
technofool
 User Gallery

Loc: Luna
Re: Cut my losses? Quite Literally... *Pics* [Re: Photoguy]
    #4044935 - 04/12/05 09:32 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Shake the shit out of it.

--------------------
~plop~

OfflineDarkie
Bitches n hoes dont mean a thing
 User Gallery

Re: Cut my losses? Quite Literally... *Pics* [Re: brianjamez]
    #4045346 - 04/12/05 11:16 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

LOL, dont shake them, they are cakes, wont do anything. I'd say if you can cut usable pieces of colonized substrate off of them, then case them babies, i've done it too. What temp are they chillin at? If it isnt at least 80degrees it does tend to take longer and then maybe you should wait.

--------------------
You gotta wake up to get faded but you gotta get up to get paided.

OfflineKaydren
Mystic Hunter
 User Gallery
Re: Cut my losses? Quite Literally... *Pics* [Re: Darkie]
    #4046369 - 04/12/05 02:40 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Sorry, My bad for not telling you earlier, Ill toss a shot of those 3 jars from  the side, thats just the TOPS that arent colonized >_< Still think toss em? or no? Give em a looksie :laugh:

The one with the double picture is my WORST jar, as you can see, hes not really that colonized, but you think he needs a tossing? :frown:

I did a karo liquid culture tek last night, so thats incubating so my next set of jars can have like 6cc per jar instead of like 1cc >_< I was REALLY stingy with my spore solution, and not really accurate, and I had temp fluxs in the incubator :frown: Which are all reasons for the slow colonizing, perhaps with the karo, as Ive read, itll colonize my jars WAY faster? Thanks!

--------------------

Offlineethnomycolofreak
Cosmic Wanderer
 User Gallery

Loc: the great state of Jeffer...
    #4046389 - 04/12/05 02:45 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i think 6 cc's of liq. innoculent per cake is way too much. a bit of a waste to tell ya the truth. 1 cc-2 tops will be fine. i use 2 sometimes 3 on qrts of grain. and that is prolly a little much. i like quick colonization though.

OfflineKaydren
Mystic Hunter
 User Gallery
Re: Cut my losses? Quite Literally... *Pics* [Re: ethnomycolofreak]
    #4046539 - 04/12/05 03:09 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ethnomycolofreak said:
i think 6 cc's of liq. innoculent per cake is way too much. a bit of a waste to tell ya the truth...

But if I have a full 200cc (according to the tek) I dont think I can inoculate 50-100 jars... so why not use extra? :laugh:  It only stores for a few months tops they said...

Meh, I just dont want to be tossing solution into jars and have them either over saturated, or contamed, because I used the quick and easy microwave karo tek  :tongue:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2321056/page//fpart/all/vc/1
But so far I just dont seem to get it perfectly, when sucking it up in a syringe, a) is the culture like, sterlized already? and b) do I need to JUST suck up the mycelium, it wasnt too clear for a n00b  :tongue:  or is it like spores, you might see just water with a few flecks of spores, but theyre THERE, so like, would it still be alright if I end up sucking pure water junk from there up?

Any help is appreciated, Angry hasnt responded to my PM in a while O_O

--------------------

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
    #4046716 - 04/12/05 03:47 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Kaydren said:
Quote:

ethnomycolofreak said:
i think 6 cc's of liq. innoculent per cake is way too much. a bit of a waste to tell ya the truth...

But if I have a full 200cc (according to the tek) I dont think I can inoculate 50-100 jars... so why not use extra? :laugh:  It only stores for a few months tops they said...

u might mess up ure water content  if u use too much solution

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

OfflineKaydren
Mystic Hunter
 User Gallery
Re: Cut my losses? Quite Literally... *Pics* [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4047359 - 04/12/05 06:55 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah I thought that too, but what if Instead of using the liek 40cc of water or whatevr the PF tek calls for, i used 4 cc less? :P and knock em up with 6cc? cuz theres a give for 2cc worth of solution n crap I spose, no? maybe? Bleh, whatevs, I went out to Ace Hardware picked up another 12 half pints, short sutbby ones opposed to the long thin ones Im using ATM, some casing trays, tried to get the hydrated lime but it was diocetial or w/e not horicultural :frown: ,some moss, I accidentally grabbed the Smashbla or waheterv Moss though, not peat :frown: will this affect it much? I assume so... and it looks like Im on my way back to the store! >_<

--------------------

InvisibleShnezbit
Psycho-naught
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Threshold.
    #4047562 - 04/12/05 07:51 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

hey photoguy? when u say add 1/2 cup of worm castings to the pf tek do u mean in a ddition to the recipe or as a suppliment for an ingrediant like verm or brf?

Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

Re: Cut my losses? Quite Literally... *Pics* [Re: Shnezbit]
    #4047771 - 04/12/05 08:45 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

DON'T TOSS THEM!!!!!

make sure the tape is not covering the holes and turn those babies upside-down.

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #4048375 - 04/12/05 11:49 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I see tape on some of the jars take it off. Turn em upside down and leave em like that.C02 is heavy so it will be easier for it to get out that way. If ya don't like leaving the holes uncovered put a coffee filter over em. You can use partial cakes but if they are that uncolonized you can bet the center of the cakes isn't colonized either.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
    #4048403 - 04/12/05 11:54 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Kaydren said:
So, Theyve been colonizing for about 4 weeks now, and as you can see some of them are nice and nearly done, but others dont want to keep going... Ive read up on it, and just asking opinions of you gurus, should I hack uncolnoized pieces off and case them? or jsut let them try and colonize?

Hate to say it but you are having problems because you didn't follow the PF Tek properly.

I thought I would be all cool and use pint jars my first time too, but it just doesn't not work for PF tek because they are too big. Myc will run out of fresh O2 before it can fully colonize the jar.

I would definitely get 1/2 pints next time.

Edited by kronnyQ (04/12/05 11:54 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cut my losses? Quite Literally... *Pics* [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4049609 - 04/13/05 08:56 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

They look like 1/2 pints to me :confused:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinealkadymycovic
Mycomaniac!
Re: Cut my losses? Quite Literally... *Pics* [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4050021 - 04/13/05 11:32 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

A FOAF just had 5 pint jars, PF Tek, finish colonizing. They -do- work, but took an incredible amount of time (over two months at an average of 72 degrees F), and halfway through when the growth slowed, they were turned upside down like Magash recommends. One cake needed to have a small uncolonized portion cut out in the end. Half pint jars sitting next to them are colonizing much faster, well over twice as fast... but they were started with a myc transfer.

As far as water content throwing off PF jars... the fastest colonizing jar wasn't made by recipe, it had too much water and BRF by far (could feel the extra weight). Still colonized fine, but wouldn't suggest this as a good 'experiment'. I'd like to say the extra 4 CC's of a liquid innoc doesn't matter - the difference between the PF tek and, say, fungifun's tek amounts to more than 4CC's of water, and my FOAF has used both just fine. Many people seem to feel it is the root of their problems however.

--------------------
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states this has already happened."
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates