Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4055702 - 04/14/05 04:42 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Gabriel Nahas's experiments...

For [his] experiment, gas masks were placed on the faces of
some unfortunate laboratory monkeys so that they would be
forced to breathe in cannabis smoke. After exposure, the
animals were put down and it was discovered that they had
suffered brain damage. This could have been the end of the
story. But what happened next is quite edifying:
Independent researchers, intrigued by these results which did
not coincide with the bulk of research in the field, endeavored
for many years to know just which procedure was used for the
experiment. Thus, they learned that for five minutes, the
monkeys were only permitted to breathe in the cannabis smoke
equivalent to that given off by sixty three joints! Under such
conditions, the animals had infact died from asphyxiation.
Smoke from burning wood would have caused the same brain
damage.
In another study, also mentioned to demonstrate that cannabis
causes brain damage, laboratory rats were injected with pure
THC, at doses corresponding to twelve hundred times the doses
ingested by a cannabis smoker! If these experiments demonstrate
anything at all, it is the remarkable absence of cannabis toxicity:
the same dose of any of our legal drugs, nicotine, alcohol, or
even caffeine, is immediately lethal to any animal on the
receiving end of such an injection.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4055719 - 04/14/05 04:47 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I think you have the wrong impression here about Wiccan_Seeker. Just because he shows concern for a guy's health, does not mean he's against getting high... he has a point, I would not risk my mental well being to get high. If I know schizophrenia ran in my family I would stop using all substances, including alcohol and cannabis. Simply because he has an opinion that differs from yours does not mean he is "imposing morals on you" or using "scare tactics". Seeker is a very wise man, who knows a lot about various substances. I trust his word, especially when it comes to substances.

edit: W_S is from the Netherlands, he is not refering to any US done study.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Edited by gdman (04/14/05 04:50 PM)

Offlinemoebiustrip
coincidencefrequencyanalyst
Loc: Way, way out there.
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: gdman]
    #4055936 - 04/14/05 06:07 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Anyone else find the generally accepted effects of consuming cannabis to be very similar to a temporary schizophrenia? Think about it. When high, one may experience paranoia, anxiety, hallucinations, esp (whether real or imagined), and other effects which are also documented as symptoms of psychological disorder. It seems to me that one could make a reasonable case that any time one gets high they are experiencing a form of schizophrenic episode.

--------------------
not-2

OfflinePathos
A million pieces
 User Gallery

Loc: Under the stairs
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: moebiustrip]
    #4055962 - 04/14/05 06:12 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

maybe if I knew what being schitzophrenic was like I could judge, but I'd imagine that it's wildly different.

If anything, I would compare tripping to a temporary paranoid schitzophrenic state, since thats when you're really having delusions, distance from reality, and more severe paranoia. I guess weed in high doses could be comparable

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: moebiustrip]
    #4055969 - 04/14/05 06:14 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I really do not think being stoned is that similar to a schizophrenic episode.

You can tell what is real and what isn't if you've had a fair amount of experience with smoking weed.

I don't believe this is the case with schizophrenia.

OfflineCuI210us
Experimentalist
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #4056792 - 04/14/05 10:19 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Does anyone know how schizophrenia is passed through families? If it isnt passed from mother to son, then it probly shouldnt affect me at all.

--------------------
The statement below is true
The statement above is false

OfflinePathos
A million pieces
 User Gallery

Loc: Under the stairs
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: CuI210us]
    #4056817 - 04/14/05 10:26 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

it can be passed from mother to son, but you pretty much have a 9 out of 10 chance of not developing it. Taking hallucinogenic drugs will tamper with those odds a bit, but chances are you still wont develop it. A friend of mine has a schitzophrenic mother and uncle, and hes done acid more times than I can count, but I guess hes just lucky.

Weed is much less risky than hallucinogens are, but still, use drugs at your own risk.

Offlinepantsboy
I troll because I care.
Female User Gallery

Loc: 8====D ~o
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: CuI210us]
    #4058675 - 04/15/05 11:52 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

CuI210us said:
Hey guys,
420 is comin around the corner and me and my friend figured we would smoke some pot. He has smoked pot before, but I have not.

The only thing im worried about is that i am on lexapro, which is a anti depressant, which i take for GAD (general anxiety disorder), and im not too sure if bad things can happen while on this drug.

Basically, my question is, Is it safe to mix pot and Lexapro? and are there any tips for a first timer?

I've smoked while on a variety of anti-depressants (not simultaneously).  I've never been on MAOI or SSRI but I smoked when on anti-depressants that share some common side-effects.  If your anti-depressant is an MAOI, I wouldn't smoke, mainly because a lot of regular anti-depressants already effect the smoking experience enough.

Basically the last anti-depressant I was on was myrtazipine (REMERON), which I finally off of. :grin:  Now this may not be a strong anti-depressant, but it certainly increased my high.  It actually increased it to the level of a weak hallucigenic experience and I would have audial hallucinations and very minor visual hallucinations.  When smoking I would be unable to have a conversation or remember anything that had happened two minutes prior.  It toatally rocked!  :headbanger:  But it had its negative-aspects too.  This is because when I smoked I had to do 3 bowls before I would feel anything and even when I had smoked th eminimal amount for me to get high, I would totally trip balls.

So to answer your question you might have one hell of a trip or possibly a weak one.  This is because anti-depressants can also decrease the effects of certain drugs.

You said this is also your first experience, so most likely nothing would happen at all.  Unless that is that you smoke a hell of a lot.  When I first started smoking, it took me 14 times before I felt a thing.  But when I finally did, it was crazy as hell, because of the anti-depressant I was on.

Either way have fun but safe experience.

--------------------
Acid doesn't hurt when you're on fire. :frown:

"Mushrooms are only similar to penises in their appearance." - LeBron James (2013)

ToiletDuk said:
"Bus squelching is not to be laughed at."

OfflineCuI210us
Experimentalist
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: pantsboy]
    #4061040 - 04/15/05 11:14 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I smoked a bowl tonight, and Im hittin the KB on wednesday.

--------------------

OfflineCuI210us
Experimentalist
    #4061122 - 04/15/05 11:31 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

so how long does this stuff take to get out of my system for a drug test?

--------------------

InvisibleSourceLimit
Above TheirInfluence
    #4061183 - 04/15/05 11:46 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

20-40 days

Its stored in the fat so it really does take a while :{

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: SourceLimit]
    #4061331 - 04/16/05 12:50 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

20-40 days? This gyyt just smoked pot for his first time----only longterm chronic stoners will test positive for THC after a month of quitting. It should not take more than a few days in your case.

OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: Leukoism]
    #4061839 - 04/16/05 07:34 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Leukoism said:

3.If you don't smoke anything at all, your lungs will not be able to handle the smoke, I suggest smoking some cigarettes(if you don't already) to help you take a bigger hit when you do smoke.

That's stupid. If you don't already smoke cigarettes, don't start. It's a nasty habit with no redeeming qualities.

I have never smoked a cig, and I have no problem smoking weed. My lungs are "able to handle the smoke" just fine. Unless you want to be jonseing a cig after every smoking session, I suggest you don't start.

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: FirstAvailable]
    #4061895 - 04/16/05 08:16 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Don't start somking cigs for sure, do not start.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Offlineunearth
Stranger
    #4062916 - 04/16/05 04:15 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

CuI210us said:
so how long does this stuff take to get out of my system for a drug test?

it takes 30 days,it doesnt take any longer than that

OfflineDoDo
Rare

Loc: Mauritius
    #4065399 - 04/17/05 11:47 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

CuI210us said:
Does anyone know how schizophrenia is passed through families? If it isnt passed from mother to son, then it probly shouldnt affect me at all.

------------------------------------------------------------
Genetics of Schizophrenia

Schizophrenia, a serious mental illness characterized by negative symptoms (social withdrawal and blunted affect), positive symptoms (hallucinations and delusions), and disordered thinking, has a lifetime prevalence of approximately 1%. This illness exerts a significant toll on health-care resources (28,29) and an equally significant emotional toll on families (30). Determining the etiology of this complex condition presents a major challenge in medicine, but research has consistently indicated a significant genetic component.

The evidence for genetic factors as the primary contributors to the etiology of schizophrenia is based on family, twin, and adoption studies. Family studies have consistently shown that first- and second-degree relatives of individuals with schizophrenia have higher risks of developing schizophrenia than do individuals in the general population (18,31). Twin studies have shown far greater concordance rates for monozygotic than for dizygotic twins: monozygotic twin concordance rates are 4 to 8 times higher than dizygotic twin concordance rates (32,33). Adoption studies indicate that biological children of parent(s) with schizophrenia who are adopted into families with no major psychotic illness have the same risk of developing schizophrenia as do biological first-degree relatives (34?36). Thus, the support for a genetic component to this disease is strong. Family and twin studies also indicate
  that other disorders occur more frequently than expected in the relatives of individuals with schizophrenia. Variable expression of a schizophrenia phenotype may include related disorders, such as schizoaffective disorder and other nonaffective psychoses (37), schizotypal and paranoid personality disorders (38?40), and mood disorders (41,42).
-----------------------------------------------------------------

The complete text can be found  here

According to the Oxford textbook of Psychiatry (Gelder) you have an elevated risk of 10-15 for developing schizophrenia.

edit: quoted the wrong person  :smirk:

Edited by DoDo (04/17/05 11:52 AM)

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#4065868 - 04/17/05 03:50 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I'm glad that you can live a happy, normal life without having to get high, but many people can't (especially those with acute creativity and those whose ideas and morals go against societys'), so please don't impose your opinions on others, that's how war and genocide happens.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I bet you haven't read my Ecstasy and LSD trip reports yet. My recepies for Green Dragon, Hash Oil and Blast Balls? My overview of Dutch poppies cultivation and recipy for kitchen Laudanum.

War and Genocide indeed happen if people start imposing their opinions, but imposing opinions is the magic stuff responses in threads are made of. The key to war and genocide is selectively listening to others and seeing only things that confirm your point of view. Well, what you've been doing basically.

If you change the word Cannabis for Globollob HCl then you would agree I gave a pretty sober advice. But because you are pro-cannabis you are biased towards negatives being attached to weed, just like anti-cannabis people are immune to the equally real benefits of medical marijuana.

You are absolutely right that research papers are full of propaganda, but that is pro as well as con. The trick is to destill the hard science out of them and reduce them to objective statements.

And when you get real you'll be getting the real picture.

The real picture is that smoking weed can lead to lung disease and lung cancer. The smoke is an irritant. The real picture is that people die from smoking weed every day of the week.
But if you are getting real you have to conclude that oral cannabis presents none of those risks, because it is not smouldered, with the smoke being inhaled.
So if you use weed and get responsible, you don't smoke weed but vaporize, eat or take it otherwise, and if you do not then you are exposing yourself to a risk comparable to cigarette smoking.

So if the cannabis lobby gets real, they advocate to not smoke weed but use it otherwise or they will be bombed by very real medical statistics a few years from now.

Cannabis, like any drug, is a double-edged sword. It is not pure evil but certainly not pure good either.

I have had a heart attack, brink of death, the real deal. Genetic.
I can confirm to you from personal experience that using cannabis has given me several hundred attacks of angina pectoris, cardiac asphyxiation, which is a heart attack without cell mortality

Did Cannabis cause this? Absolutely 100% yes. But it would have not occurred if I did not have a genetic predisposition towards angina pectoris. But, since I got that, the cannabis has brought on the 100s of Angina Pectoris attacks which would not have occurred without weed.
I could have died because the effect weed had on me, and that is medical fact.

Do I "blame weed"? No, not in the War on Drugs way.
Weed has cardiac side effects which did not agree with my previously unnoticed heart condition. If you are going to say "Medical Marijuana!", and thus saying Marijuana is Medicine (which it is and a great one at that) then you got to get real and accept that it has side effects (like any medicine) which can be dangerous to some.

Cannabis, especially via the oral route, still is a recreational drug that has an exceptionally benign pharmacological profile. I am all for the medical community embracing Cannabis Resin as a prescription medicine and am in favor of cannabis being accepted into mainstream culture alongside alcohol, coffee and tobacco as a social drug.

But some people should NEVER EVER use marijuana.

I, for one, would be best off if I did not use the herb. So I quit my 12 year daily gram habit to make good on one of the vows I made on the Intensive Care Unit, when the defib cart was to my left and the cardiac monitor to the right on the night I had my Near Death Experience.

People who really ought not to use cannabis are psychotics and schizophrenics. They get high, but on the long term their pre-existing medical condition worsens and never gets better because of using the weed. Just like my AP, except it's a condition of the brain, not the heart.

If you are possibly schizophrenic then it would be utter WISDOM not to start with weed in the first place. You should think of schizophrenia as a particularly unfortunate combination of genes. Not one or two, but several. If you got them all, you're one of the kinds of fullblown schizophrenics. If you got several, you are dispositioned to psychosis. If you got a few, you may perhaps not get psychosis but be otherwise unfit.

So many offspring of Schizophrenics are *not* schizophrenic (or even prone to psychosis) but they are thrown out of healthy genetic balance nontheless. That's how Schizophrenia can develop "out of the blue"in families not known to have schizophrenia in their bloodline.

Our friend the threadstarter has got Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Mild as it may be, it may be a sign of having inherited some of these genes. The question is if he is susceptible to psychosis or not, but he does have a chronic mental anxiety condition.

If a person is concerned whether a drug is good for him, then consider that a valuable clue that they are in doubt and doubt may involve legitimate concerns. I take personal concern very serious.

Several people on this thread are High on Harmless. Weed? don't worry, not a problem at all. And for them it may be true. Statistically this is true for many. But a bonghit can put me on the Intensive Care Unit with a very real heart attack. And it can put a schizophrenic on the Psychiatric Ward because of induced, recurrent or treatment-resistant psychosis.

But: our threadstarter has used weed, he even smoked it, and he has made plans to enroll in what might turn out to be frequent use.
I hope the weed will not harm him. After all, russian roulette is a click most of the time too.

But if.. if it aggrevates his anxiety problem, gives other problems or even detrimentally influences pre-existing psychosis...
Then I am not the one who sung the song of "harmless" but the one who took over half an hour to inform him about the risks, and he asked if there *would* be risks, after all.

If you give advice to people, you assume responsibility over their well-being. And if you get real on taking responsibility, chances are you become a party pooper.

And frankly, I don't mind being a party pooper by getting real on drugs here. People have PMed me for my support and I actually heard claims that I "saved their life" in a medical way by getting real on drugs.

I am NOT anti-marihuana, I'm anti-misinformation.

Yay, another post nobody reads because it's so friggin' lengthy!  :grin:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: Asante]
    #4066256 - 04/17/05 06:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

You make good points Wiccan

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

OfflineCuI210us
Experimentalist
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: dblaney]
    #4066321 - 04/17/05 07:05 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I just had to do it, just to know what it felt like. I was just so curious about it, that I had to do it, or I would just keep thinking about it. I regret it now, because the high wasnt really all that great for what I am risking. But I am sure that the one time that i did it wont affect me as much as chronic use will. Not a smart move on my part I guess.

--------------------

OfflineDoneKildatReason
Chemical in the body
Male User Gallery

Loc: Green Country Flag
    #4067926 - 04/18/05 05:10 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Wait a minute, you guys can't just write it off like that. There have been studies done that do in fact show what is being said here. It is known, now, that sweet mary increases the risks of developing skizo.

I have some first hand experience with this, and while there are many variables, studies have been made that show all kinds of neat info.

Search around, that guys link up there isn't the only one.

Seriously, you guys are just totally dismissing it as bullshit DEA stuff when it is actually a very in depth study.

Chances are though, imo, that people with skizo do smoke more, and are generally attracted to drugs more.

--------------------
This was an experiment.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order