Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCuI210us
Experimentalist
420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions.
    #4042909 - 04/11/05 08:42 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Hey guys,
420 is comin around the corner and me and my friend figured we would smoke some pot. He has smoked pot before, but I have not.

The only thing im worried about is that i am on lexapro, which is a anti depressant, which i take for GAD (general anxiety disorder), and im not too sure if bad things can happen while on this drug.

Basically, my question is, Is it safe to mix pot and Lexapro? and are there any tips for a first timer?

--------------------
The statement below is true
The statement above is false

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: CuI210us]
    #4042924 - 04/11/05 08:46 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I'm pretty sure everything should be good.

My advise would be when you inhale the amount of smoke you want to inhale in that puff, make sure to fill the rest of your lungs up with air, as to push down the smoke deep in your lungs.

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: CuI210us]
    #4042930 - 04/11/05 08:49 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

huh, Lexapro for GAD---Ive never really heard of an SSRI being prescribed for anxiety. The lexapro shouldt negatively react with the reefer....this is taken from Erowid of Maoi's and SSRIs and recreational drugs

--Avoid mixing MAOIs and SSRIs.
This can lead to serotonin syndrome and can be dangerous.

--Do not mix MAOIs with Stimulants (including MDMA).
This can lead to hypertensive crisis and can be deadly.

--SSRIs in Combination with MDMA
Generally reduces the effects of the MDMA significantly.

--SSRIs in Combination with Psychedelics
Generally reduce the effects of the psychedelic a bit.

--MAOIs in Combination with Psychedelics
Generally increase the effects of the psychedelic significantly. Be extremely careful.

Nothing is listed for Mariguana so Id assume there is no reaction (postive or negative) at all.

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

#4042932 - 04/11/05 08:49 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

And remember to take it easy.

Don't inhale so much that your lungs become so painful that you can't smoke anymore.

(I'm assuming you don't smoke cigarettes... if you do it will probably be easier.)

OfflineCuI210us
Experimentalist
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #4042955 - 04/11/05 08:55 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Actually I do smoke cigarettes and cigars all the time, but so far thanks for the great advice.

Oh yea, by the way, Lexapro works awsome for GAD, I use a really small dose, like 5mg a day. But it does help. Heres some quote from the lexapro site "LEXAPRO has been prescribed successfully to millions of people with depression. Now Lexapro can help alleviate the symptoms of Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) in adults."

Thought i would through that in there.

--------------------

Edited by CuI210us (04/11/05 09:02 PM)

Offlineeggystardust
Viva elDirector!

#4043006 - 04/11/05 09:10 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

You might need to smoke quite a bit to "break through" and get high the first time, for me I never got stoned until my third time smoking when we went through a huge sack out of a nice foot n' halfer bong. After that I was fucking GONE, probably the third highest I've ever been. It was great... :laugh: Of course, I know plenty of people that got completely baked their first time, I just wanted to warn ya to keep smoking till you 'really' feel it...

Have fun!
:spliff: :rasta: :stash: :bong:

OfflineCuI210us
Experimentalist
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: eggystardust]
    #4043060 - 04/11/05 09:25 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

One last question, I was offered a chance to trip on shrooms also, but I declined it because my mom has a slight case of Schizophrenia. I know that shrooms have a chance of activating schizophrnia in people who are related to anyone who has it.

Marijuana doesnt contribute to this effect does it?

--------------------

InvisibleStonerguy
I smoke penis
Male

Loc: Lost
    #4043078 - 04/11/05 09:30 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

CuI210us said:
One last question, I was offered a chance to trip on shrooms also, but I declined it because my mom has a slight case of Schizophrenia. I know that shrooms have a chance of activating schizophrnia in people who are related to anyone who has it.

Marijuana doesnt contribute to this effect does it?

No, MJ wont activate schizophrenia Pretty sure of it. But if I were you I would stay away from most psycadelics. Its your choice, but I wouldn't want to take any chances.

--------------------
yawn...
SG

OfflineCuI210us
Experimentalist
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: Stonerguy]
    #4043118 - 04/11/05 09:39 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

is bud considered a psycadelic? like i thought it was in like a different category then shrooms. Sorry for the dumb questions, just tryin to find out as much as possible.

--------------------

Invisiblethegatewaydrug
my burning sunwill some dayrise

Loc: wherever i may roam
    #4043161 - 04/11/05 09:54 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

cant you mix mj with anything and still be safe?

--------------------
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because i won't.

General George S. Patton
:paranoid:

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

#4043170 - 04/11/05 09:55 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Sort of.

But they're no where near as intense as your average psychedelic dose.

Cannabis works on different receptors than mushrooms, or acid, or mescaline, etc etc.

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #4043239 - 04/11/05 10:10 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Im not sure psychadelics will simply "turn on" schizophrenia but they will certainly bring it to the surface. Depending on your age, you can kind of tell whether or not you are susceptible to psychotic disorders. MJ will certianly not have any reaction with underlying schizophrenia

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: PsillyNilly]
    #4043336 - 04/11/05 10:33 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Nothing is listed for Mariguana so Id assume there is no reaction (postive or negative) at all.

I don't know about SSRIs, but psychoactive MAOIs have been said to greatly potentiate marijuana (or does marijuana potentiate them?) People who have taken syrian rue and then smoked marijuana have reported to get a much longer more hallucinogenic high and such.

I'm not sure whether or not this is the case with medical MAOIs though, and if you can handle your pot it probably wouldn't even be a problem.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: Ravus]
    #4043462 - 04/11/05 11:03 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The Hallucinogenic properties of mariguna would probably be increased by MAOI's from the first response I made taken off erowid. Even though Cannibis is classified as a "halluciogen" we all know reefer has more properties of a depressant than our other beloeved shrooms, Mescaline, DMT and LSD. The effects of MAOI's on a Pot buzz would probably be to subtle to notice. The drug at hand (lexapro) is an SSRI which in combination with psychadelics has shown to lower its effects, but once again----with pot atleast, Im sure the user wouldnt even notice the difference. (especially if its his first time) Besides the obvious like operating heavy machinery, little precaution has to be taken when experimenting with cannibis.

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: Ravus]
    #4043476 - 04/11/05 11:08 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I've never seen any reports of MAOIs increasing the effects of weed.

I don't even see how it could be possible.

OfflineDoDo
Rare

Loc: Mauritius
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: PsillyNilly]
    #4044468 - 04/12/05 05:35 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

PsillyNilly said:
Im not sure psychadelics will simply "turn on" schizophrenia but they will certainly bring it to the surface. Depending on your age, you can kind of tell whether or not you are susceptible to psychotic disorders. MJ will certianly not have any reaction with underlying schizophrenia

Sorry, but that is simply wrong, of all drugs that have been linked to schizophrenia marijuana is well documented and according to research dramatically increases the chance of developing schizophrenia.

Quote:

Reducing Your Risk of Getting Schizophrenia

Environmental factors that have been linked to the development of schizophrenia include:

1. Street Drugs increase risk of Schizophrenia - Use of street drugs (marijuana/hash - cannabis, etc.) have been linked with significantly increased probability of developing schizophrenia. Psychiatrists in inner-city areas speak of cannabis being a factor in up to 80 per cent of schizophrenia cases. Researchers in New Zealand found that those who used cannabis by the age of 15 were more than three times (300%) more likely to develop illnesses such as schizophrenia. Other research has backed this up, showing that cannabis use increases the risk of psychosis by up to 700 per cent for heavy users, and that the risk increases in proportion to the amount of cannabis used (smoked or consumed). Additionally, the younger a person smokes/uses cannabis, the higher the risk for schizophrenia, and the worse the schizophrenia is when the person does develop it.

Professor Murray has just completed a 15-year study of more than 750 adolescents in conjunction with colleagues at King's College London and the University of Otago in New Zealand.

Overall people were 4.5 times more likely to be schizophrenic at 26 if they were regular cannabis smokers at 15 compared to 1.65 times for those who did not report regular use until 18.

Many researchers now believe that using the drug while the brain is still developing boosts levels of the chemical dopamine in the brain, which can directly lead to schizophrenia.

Professor John Henry, clinical toxicologist at Imperial College London said research had shown that people with a certain genetic makeup who use the drug face a ten times (1000%) higher risk of schizophrenia. (for example - if your risk of schizophrenia was 10% prior to taking cannabis, it would be 90% -- or almost guaranteed - after taking cannabis).

A recent Dutch study showed that teenagers who indulge in cannabis as few as five times in their life significantly increase their risk of psychotic symptoms.

Today, there are over 30 published scientific research papers linking marijuana to schizophrenia or other mental disorders (see below). The increase in evidence during the past decade could be tied to the increased potency of marijuana. A review by the British Lung Association says that the cannabis available on the streets today is 15 times more powerful than the joints being smoked three decades ago.

Schizophrenia can sometimes be triggered by heavy use of hallucinogenic drugs, especially LSD; but it appears that one has to have a predisposition towards developing schizophrenia for this to occur. There is also some evidence suggesting that people suffering from schizophrenia but responding to treatment can have an episode as a result of use of LSD. Methamphetamine and PCP also mimic the symptoms of schizophrenia, and can trigger ongoing symptoms of schizophrenia in those who are vulnerable.

Melbourne University's Professor David Castle stated in a February, 2005 interview that heavy drug use during formative times of life, such as the years at school, could affect the way a teenager or young adult thought, impairing cognitive ability and having a long-term impact on job prospects. Victorian studies had revealed that regular use of cannabis by adolescent girls could trigger long-term depression. And for those vulnerable to a psychotic disorder, even a small amount of cannabis could pose a threat.

Professor Castle, author of the book Marijuana and Madness, said those with this "psychotic proneness" were those who had a family history of mental illness or who had had a bad response on their first use of cannabis or to a tiny amount. Others at risk included those who had experienced a psychotic episode where they had paranoid thinking or heard a voice calling their name. Professor Castle said experiencing such a one-off episode was far more common than people thought.

"People with such a vulnerability should avoid cannabis like the plague," he said.

Without the effects of the drug, such a person might live their whole life without ever experiencing mental health problems. It has been estimated, for example, that one in 20 people that have schizophrenia today would never have developed the illness without exposure to cannabis.

Professor Castle compared the effect to feeding sweets to a diabetic. While high sugar content foods did not cause too many problems for most people in the short term, they could be catastrophic for diabetics.

He said there was an accumulative effect when it came to cannabis use and schizophrenia. Those who used the drug more than once a week were more prone to needing hospitalisation and often suffered other associated problems such as the breakdown of relations with their family, isolation, crime and violence.

* Cannabis impacts on neurotransmitters that regulate how arousal and stress are managed in the brain. Cannabis takes a long time to metabolise, and can quickly build up to high levels in the body. Once you get to this point, there is a real risk of depression or schizophrenia being triggered.

* A Swedish study of 50,000 military conscripts found heavy use of cannabis increased the risk of suicide by four times. A Victorian study of 2332 adolescents found weekly use increased the risk of suicide attempts among females by five times. Weekly use as a teenager doubled the risk of depression and anxiety. Daily use at the age of 20 boosted the risk of depression and anxiety by five times.

Action: If you want to avoid getting schizophrenia - research suggests that the number one thing you should avoid are street drugs (especially marijuana/cannabis - but because you never know what someone has put into a street drug, all of them are dangerous). By avoiding use of all street drugs research suggests that you can greatly reduce the chance (by as much as 50% to 80%) that you'll develop schizophrenia. Avoiding marijuana after developing schizophrenia also helps reduce relapse rates. Some people with schizophrenia suggest that it makes them feel better, but if depression is an issue we recommend these people talk to their Psych-Doc about possible anti-depressant use rather than street drugs.

Do not use even small amounts of cannabis if you have a family history of mental illness, have had an episode of paranoid thinking or hearing voices or had a bad response when first using cannabis or when using a small amount.
]

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: DoDo]
    #4044692 - 04/12/05 07:43 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

May I ask, where did you copy that info from? If your going to copy and past info from the net, please site the website form which you got it from, thanks :smile:.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

OfflineDoDo
Rare

Loc: Mauritius
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: gdman]
    #4044712 - 04/12/05 07:53 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I forgot: source

Links to the referred research can also be found here.

OfflineCuI210us
Experimentalist
Re: 420 coming, smoking pot for first time, just a few questions. [Re: DoDo]
    #4047546 - 04/12/05 07:46 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

alright, so i guess i can cross mj and shrooms off my list of things to get high off of, what else is left that i can do?

--------------------

InvisibleSourceLimit
Above TheirInfluence
    #4047629 - 04/12/05 08:11 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

....roller coaster? :frown:

What is left would have to be stimulates. All psychedelics can bring forward the symptoms your not looking for :/

Edited by SourceLimit (04/12/05 08:13 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds